Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2019 1:29:25 PM EDT
Before I moved to the country I did lawn service in my neighborhood.  At some point I noticed that many of the trees planted in the back half of my old neighborhood were yellow and didn't grow much.  I have attached a picture below from Google.  This is not my house nor are these my trees, however, you can see the phenomenon I am talking about.  A healthy tree next to trees that were planted at the same time and are not healthy at all.  They have been this way for 10 years.

I planted three live oak trees on my property. One is doing phenomenal, one got 100% raped twice by leaf cutter ants but is OK though thin, and one is yellow as hell.  This is the first year I've seen it yellow this way.  I have alkaline soil so I have to treat my peach trees with chelated iron, but live oaks should be fine.  I have cared for this tree the same as all the rest, but it looks like shit.  I treated it with chelated iron this weekend, so I'll see if the condition improves, but I don't want to have to treat it continually.  If this tree is not good for my area I may need to remove it and plant a different one.

Thoughts?

Picture of Trees
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 2:21:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 12:35:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 11:45:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Are soil types/conditions the same for the trees in question?

Plants that like well-drained soil being planted in saturated soil often turn yellow.
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 7:36:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Soil types for all three live oaks are the same.  Local extension agent suggested I remove some dirt from around the tree as it may be planted too low.  I did that around the same time I gave it some chelated iron.  It looks fine now.  I won't be giving iron if I don't have to.  These trees are natives here and the alkaline soil should not be a problem for them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top