Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2023 9:25:34 AM EDT
Hey guys. We’ve officially had our camper for a just over a year. Had it dewinterized on Friday as well as topped off the propane. I inspected the tires and lubed the slide.

I asked the company we bought the camper from if they do any kind of inspections, and was told they do a “spring start up” for $430.

I have zero intention to pay that on something I can likely do myself. What else needs done?
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 10:06:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cycolac] [#1]
Check the roof. Check the caulk joints. Maybe adjust the brakes depending on how much you travel. Check the lights. Check the slide seals.

ETA - What is dewinterizing and how much did it cost?
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 10:06:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 2:27:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cycolac:
Check the roof. Check the caulk joints. Maybe adjust the brakes depending on how much you travel. Check the lights. Check the slide seals.

View Quote

Basically having them flush out the lines, fill the tanks, check them, and blow the lines back out. They also use some special agent to help get rid of the antifreeze from having it winterized
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 4:58:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FreeAmerican] [#4]
I am not sure how many miles you have on it, but every spring I repack my bearing and tighten the spindle nut to specs (google this, it is not that hard)  

PS use a hi quality grease like Luckas Red n Tacky.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 5:44:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By FreeAmerican:
I am not sure how many miles you have on it, but every spring I repack my bearing and tighten the spindle nut to specs (google this, it is not that hard)  

View Quote

We have about 700 miles on it
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 6:58:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Kiltakaze:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FreeAmerican:

You can wait on it then. But you don’t want the grease to dry out
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 8:22:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cycolac] [#7]

Basically having them flush out the lines, fill the tanks, check them, and blow the lines back out. They also use some special agent to help get rid of the antifreeze from having it winterized
View All Quotes

How much did it cost and how long did you spend taking your RV there and back?

If you have an air compressor you can Winterize it yourself - and save lots of time and some $.

That special agent is vinegar. The antifreeze leaves an odor/taste in the water. If you don't put the antifreeze in there to start with you don't need the vinegar.

I had a unit freeze up one winter. I dropped it off at the dealer to have some warranty work done, at their convenience, as well as Winterize it while it was there. Long story short, they forgot and the only thing that was damaged was the water heater tank. I didn't use the fresh water tank so it was empty along with the holding tanks. No damage to any of the pipes, valves, etc. They fixed it on their dime. I've been doing it myself for over 25 years and never had a problem. I've done a few for friends and they've never had a problem either.

We can guide you if you'd like to try it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 12:48:23 AM EDT
[#8]

If you have an air compressor you can Winterize it yourself - and save lots of time and some $.

That special agent is vinegar. The antifreeze leaves an odor/taste in the water. If you don't put the antifreeze in there to start with you don't need the vinegar.

I had a unit freeze up one winter. I dropped it off at the dealer to have some warranty work done, at their convenience, as well as Winterize it while it was there. Long story short, they forgot and the only thing that was damaged was the water heater tank. I didn't use the fresh water tank so it was empty along with the holding tanks. No damage to any of the pipes, valves, etc. They fixed it on their dime. I've been doing it myself for over 25 years and never had a problem. I've done a few for friends and they've never had a problem either.

View All Quotes

That’s my plan this winter. Just do it myself. It was 100 bucks to dewinterize and top off the propane (5 gallons)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top