Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:25:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

older screenshot from 2015

https://i.imgur.com/Sr6yliv.png
View Quote

Your signals are hugging the world. So gay.

Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

try tuning around with the narrow filter OFF....once you've got a station tuned in, then enable the narrow filter

sotra like...
this
http://www.inrad.net/images/D/717.gif
then this
http://www.inrad.net/images/D/712.gif
View Quote

Yeah, i know how it should work. It doesnt on my 817. I blame w4rt
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:59:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Gyprat offered me a great deal on one, but I have a VISA gift card bonus from work I needed to use.

I called R&L, they couldn't say if they had any on stock or not, then called DXe, they didn't know either.

Associated and MTC don't have any.

....so I called HRO and got one.

both DXe and HRO said they could not match the R&L price. ( they used to price match )

time to make a portable 20m dipole *------+------*

gonna ask wife to get me the SOTABEAMS speech compressor for Father's Day.

I must me nuts for trying QRP in a solar minimum, but I worked canada on 5 watts 20m SSB last night.

https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/0818lrg.jpg
View Quote

Good work. Dont just make one dipole. Make them all. Just get enough wire for your lowest band, then unwind enough ish for whatever band you want to use and mark it with tape or paint or shrink wrap. You will need to spend a bit of time the first time around for each band and marking em all but after that you should be golden.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:06:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:..Your signals are hugging the world. So gay. ..
View Quote

Dude,  ham radio is about spreading world peace, kinda like this....

Mars Attacks funny scene - We Come in Peace

Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:14:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Good work. Dont just make one dipole. Make them all. Just get enough wire for your lowest band, then unwind enough ish for whatever band you want to use and mark it with tape or paint or shrink wrap. You will need to spend a bit of time the first time around for each band and marking em all but after that you should be golden.
View Quote

I saw something like that recently while google searching QRP stuff.

good idea.

Friend of mine gave me a 12v 12aH sealed Lead-acid battery, said it was good, but my trickle charger can't get it over about 4 volts.

for now, looking for something cheap.

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:29:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I saw something like that recently while google searching QRP stuff.

good idea.

Friend of mine gave me a 12v 12aH sealed Lead-acid battery, said it was good, but my trickle charger can't get it over about 4 volts.

for now, looking for something cheap.

View Quote

I'll see if I can post my setup for it in the next few days.

Otherwise if it comes with the battery tray fill it with enloops (never alkaleaks) and it works fine. Just less capacity than lithium and a pain to charge.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 7:42:01 AM EDT
[#7]

This is thing is so cute.

size comparison to my FT-7900 and an old iphone6

the operation, and menu is very similar to the FT-857 I had years ago.

As soon as I got it out of the box, a thunderstorm hit

I need to run to the auto parts store to get a fuse/holder for the power cord.

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:45:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I impulse bought an 818ND from Gigaparts. I'm excited to get it. Looking forward to taking it out camping. This is all new for me so there is a lot to learn!
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 11:51:29 AM EDT
[#9]
this is a great little book, and cheap on the kindle

Attachment Attached File

I also ordered one of these....

Attachment Attached File

haven’t had time to build any portable dipoles yet

been playing with it at home on my hustler 6BTV Vertical

menu is similar to the FT857 i had about 10years ago

I LIKE IT

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 6:09:13 PM EDT
[#10]
One of these days im gonna swap the finals on mine with some 20W rated transistors and see whats what...

And if it works im gonna change my username to timallen...
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 6:29:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Just worked 3 stations in NJ, not bad for "10meters is dead" E-skip and 5 watts.

Link Posted: 6/21/2020 9:41:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I just ordered one from Gigaparts (FT-818ND).

Of course I dragged my feet and now it's out of stock and backordered, with no estimate of an availability date.

Oh well...

Link Posted: 6/21/2020 11:14:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I ordered one in late May. Gigaparts sent me an update earlier this week saying they expect to get it in July.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:31:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I LIKE IT

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/22/2020 12:25:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I’m having a lot of fun with it

it reminds me of when i was a rookie tech-plus

building dipoles, working 10m E-skip

plan on using it field day weekend

getting the portable zero carry handles today if the postman delivers

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 9:01:05 PM EDT
[#16]

working 10m E-skip SSB

Link Posted: 7/2/2020 5:06:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I ordered one in late May. Gigaparts sent me an update earlier this week saying they expect to get it in July.
View Quote

Mine was delivered today.

Surprised but pleased...

Link Posted: 7/2/2020 8:41:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Disclaimer...I've owned and loved the 817 and am for some reason interested in the 818...

Do you people who run them use ssb or cw?

I own smaller and lighter..and cheaper CW qrp rigs.  What would the 818 gain me?  I operate all CW.

I still think it's cool, but having traveled with a 817 for years, it is bulky and the battery stinks.  My mtr3b or HB1B is easier to travel with and still 5 watts.  But still, I'm drawn to the 818...

Sell me on it...
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Disclaimer...I've owned and loved the 817 and am for some reason interested in the 818...

Do you people who run them use ssb or cw?

I own smaller and lighter..and cheaper CW qrp rigs.  What would the 818 gain me?  I operate all CW.

I still think it's cool, but having traveled with a 817 for years, it is bulky and the battery stinks.  My mtr3b or HB1B is easier to travel with and still 5 watts.  But still, I'm drawn to the 818...

Sell me on it...
View Quote

It's an FT817, with the TCXO, 6 watts instead of 5, and a 1900mah battery.

otherwise, it's the same rig.

Link Posted: 7/12/2020 8:01:30 AM EDT
[#20]
I did not realize how out of touch I had been with the Yaesu product line of late. I have not been active on ham radio in quite a while other than attending conventions and mostly listening. The last new rig I saw was the FT-991 that was released after Yaesu discontinued the FT-897D (which is also a good portable rig though heavier). I had not heard about the FT-818. I really need to look at the ads in QST more often
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 12:42:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I did not realize how out of touch I had been with the Yaesu product line of late. I have not been active on ham radio in quite a while other than attending conventions and mostly listening. The last new rig I saw was the FT-991 that was released after Yaesu discontinued the FT-897D (which is also a good portable rig though heavier). I had not heard about the FT-818. I really need to look at the ads in QST more often
View Quote

it's just s slightly updated FT-817, which has been around for 15-20 years.

Link Posted: 7/13/2020 5:59:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

it's just s slightly updated FT-817, which has been around for 15-20 years.

View Quote

And really it was only updated because Yaesu couldn't source parts for the old 817 anymore. So not much changed on it anyway.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:06:51 PM EDT
[#23]
My FT-818 came last week. I like it a little better than my FT-817ND. I also got the Yaesu ATAS-25 antenna to go with it.

I am quite pleased with the combo’s performance on VHF FM. The antenna is very easy to tune with the NanoVNA, it would probably suck to tune it without an analyzer.

Accessories:

I got a cheap set of eBay aluminum side plates from China, should be here soon-ish.

Had a power pole plug assembly printed for me, need to get some power poles and a crimper.

Had a paddle printed too, and assembled it. I’m out $20 total, printing and hardware, and have a complete second set of stuff to build another one too. Guess I need to learn CW now
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:55:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Field Day 2020

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 7:37:39 AM EDT
[#25]
@Derek45 how does having the tuner on top of the setup affect sound from the speaker? I think I see something of a gap there, but just curious.

I am planning on buying the same tuner in a few months.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 7:52:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
@Derek45 how does having the tuner on top of the setup affect sound from the speaker? I think I see something of a gap there, but just curious.

I am planning on buying the same tuner in a few months.
View Quote

@flynbenny

It hasn't been a problem, the tuner has rubber feet, and you can place it to the side if you like

...even with my deaf ears

the Portable zero is very rugged and nice

the SOTABEAMS speech compressor is great also

https://www.sotabeams.co.uk/speech-compressor-for-ft-817-818/

my next purchase will be a 300hz CW filter.

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:03:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Sweet, good to know. I am a little deaf too, shooting competition and motorsports will do that to you.

The speech compressor is on my list of stuff to buy as well.

I need to build my digital interface, I have all the cables and hardware, just need to solder it together and test it.

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:15:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

my next purchase will be a 300hz CW filter.
View Quote

Make it a 500hz so you can use it on data modes.

That kit looks identical to the old DYC kit. Its not very rugged is the only issue. I ended up going through two before I broke down and got an elecret booster/kompressor mic from germany.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 10:52:16 AM EDT
[#29]
bump

cool stuff on this channel

Yaesu FT 817 Accessories | Yaesu FT-818 Accessories & Mods
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 6:40:10 PM EDT
[#30]
300hz filter in !  

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top