BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/5/2024 11:46:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: K9-Bob]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

It looks like Icom and Flex Radio will be offering something new at Xenia this year. I wonder what goodness they will have in store for us?

I grabbed these screen shots from the digital copy of the June 2024 QST.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:59:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Icom’s IC-718: An Improved Classic (Press Release)

I am not sure why this the Icom IC-718 has been "improved" and allowed to stay in production though?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:48:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I wonder whats in the Icom box?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:34:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K9-Bob] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By otar:
View Quote

I'm betting that it will be a D-Star mobile rig of some sort. There HF line seems well represented, but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:35:26 PM EDT
[#4]
A 20 or 100 watt 705 with internal tuner and ip67 rating
🙏🙏🙏🙏
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:42:33 PM EDT
[#5]
There's talk floating around out there of Kenwood announcing a new replacement to the D710, with similar features of the D75. I hope it's true, that would be awesome!
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:49:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By smeeg:
🙏🙏🙏🙏
View Quote

This may be a possibility.  The way the 7100 is positioned to be smaller and lower on the release in the OP makes me think it's on its way out.  Or I'm reading to much into it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:01:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ohiogators] [#7]
Please be a color/waterfall 7100.

Keep the form factor.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:49:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mancow] [#8]
I wish I could go. There area few things I would like to look for this year.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:50:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Ohiogators:

Keep the form factor.
View Quote
That would be a real nice update to the 7100 for sure. I have been looking at the 7100 for the shack and would buy one without hesitation if it had a color screen with a waterfall.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:04:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: K0UA] [#10]
Originally Posted By K9-Bob:

I am not sure why this the Icom IC-718 has been "improved" and allowed to stay in production though?
View Quote

Bob it looks to me that it really is improved. They got rid of the crystal filter structure to be replaced with a IF DSP much like the 7300 but still having the ultra simple operator interface of the original 718 that anyone could walk up to and operate without consulting anything. I think the idea here if for and Encom rig that is lower priced than a 7300, and is even more intuitive than a 7300 if that is possible. But truly improved guts. I think there is a place for rigs of this type.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By K0UA:
Bob it looks to me that it really is improved. They got rid of the crystal filter structure to be replaced with a IF DSP much like the 7300 but still having the ultra simple operator interface of the original 718 that anyone could walk up to and operate without consulting anything. I think the idea here if for and Encom rig that is lower priced than a 7300, and is even more intuitive than a 7300 if that is possible. But truly improved guts. I think there is a place for rigs of this type.
View Quote

Yep, I think it's a smart move
[dreaming] Now Kenwood needs to bring back the TS480HX with updated IF DSP

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:02:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Colt653:

https://i.imgur.com/QsO0kmc.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

that would be a winner too for the mobile market
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:09:22 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

The TS480HX is 200watts of ergonomic perfection

It's a POTA mobile monster

I will cry like a little girl if it ever dies

....but my FT891 has better IF DSP
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:59:49 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote
Judging by Kenwood's booth last year, they're exiting the ham radio market.  Guess their big money maker is NexEdge.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:29:52 PM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes

" />
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:45:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By otar:
View Quote

No IC9700 in the ad... maybe its a replacement.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:26:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#17]

Keep the form factor.
View Quote

i thought i heard the 7100 is discontinued

I’d like it better if it was shaped like the IC706mkiig, instead of a wheel chuck

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:29:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Dopple:
Judging by Kenwood's booth last year, they're exiting the ham radio market.  Guess their big money maker is NexEdge.
View Quote

Rumors of Kenwood's death have been ongoing for more than 25 years. I don't think they are done yet.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:33:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#19]

I’d like it better if it was shaped like the IC706mkiig, instead of a wheel chuck

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2275/IMG_1042_jpeg-3207135.JPG
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2275/IMG_1042_jpeg-3207135.JPG

The IC7000 was better liked on balance than the 7100 has been.

Although there's something to be said for old school LCD displays for mobile or outdoor use versus the color displays.

Surprised that it was changed that significantly and they kept the same model number.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:45:18 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

It will be interesting to see a review on the "improved" version of the IC-718. I'm just not sure the KISS format will sell.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:06:28 PM EDT
[#21]
It will be interesting to see a review on the "improved" version of the IC-718. I'm just not sure the KISS format will sell.
View Quote

If they price it to be competitive with the Yaesu 891 as an entry-level radio I think it will sell, it's a lot more user-friendly than the 891.

Icom also has some "institutional" buyers - state and local emergency management agencies and the like - and those like a cheap, simple radio.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:18:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:[/b]

No IC9700 in the ad... maybe its a replacement.
View Quote

That is interesting. You would think the 7300 would be replaced before the 9700.

I wonder if they are going to replace it with a Radio like the 905 with remote Microwave transveters. Effectively 9700-905 hybrid.
The 905 really appeals to me as a high band nerd. But I have to imagine the market share for the 905 and microwave is pretty thin. The reality is the 905 was really developed for the JDM hams with lots of noise and tall building where long range PTP links and other microwave bands have coverage. And of course the microwave geeks chasing rain storms from mountain tops.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:37:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#23]
Originally Posted By stanprophet09:
That is interesting. You would think the 7300 would be replaced before the 9700.

I wonder if they are going to replace it with a Radio like the 905 with remote Microwave transveters. Effectively 9700-905 hybrid.
The 905 really appeals to me as a high band nerd. But I have to imagine the market share for the 905 and microwave is pretty thin. The reality is the 905 was really developed for the JDM hams with lots of noise and tall building where long range PTP links and other microwave bands have coverage. And of course the microwave geeks chasing rain storms from mountain tops.
View Quote

I think it's more in response to the Qo-100 satellite. If we had such a satellite available to us there would be a lot of clamoring for that radio and other options to get access to it.

If you're not aware of it, Qo-100 is an amateur transponder on a geosynchronous communications satellite that serves europe, the mideast and africa. It has a 500kHz wide passband for narrowband signals plus a wideband channel for high speed data. It's 2.4GHz uplink, 10GHz downlink, with about a 1 meter size dish giving satisfactory service. With 24/7 coverage and plenty of bandwidth it's become popular for just ragchewing, especially for folks who don't have the ability to put up large HF antennas, but a small dish that can pass for a TV dish is possible.

Most of the Qo-100 folks are using more power than the IC-905 can generate on 2.4. An updated 9700 with 10 watts on 2400 would have some buyers in that market. Would be awesome if they'd add 222 for the Americas as well.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:48:24 PM EDT
[#24]
I think the Icom reveal will be the PW-2 HF amp.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:56:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By limestonecowboy:
I think the Icom reveal will be the PW-2 HF amp.
View Quote

That's already been announced - it was a Hamcation.  If anything I agree that it's an update to the 9700.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:

I think it's more in response to the Qo-100 satellite. If we had such a satellite available to us there would be a lot of clamoring for that radio and other options to get access to it.

If you're not aware of it, Qo-100 is an amateur transponder on a geosynchronous communications satellite that serves europe, the mideast and africa. It has a 500kHz wide passband for narrowband signals plus a wideband channel for high speed data. It's 2.4GHz uplink, 10GHz downlink, with about a 1 meter size dish giving satisfactory service. With 24/7 coverage and plenty of bandwidth it's become popular for just ragchewing, especially for folks who don't have the ability to put up large HF antennas, but a small dish that can pass for a TV dish is possible.

Most of the Qo-100 folks are using more power than the IC-905 can generate on 2.4. An updated 9700 with 10 watts on 2400 would have some buyers in that market. Would be awesome if they'd add 222 for the Americas as well.
View Quote

Too bad Elon isn't into amateur radio!
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:36:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jambalaya] [#27]
View Quote

I'd consider defecting from Yaesu for something like that.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:34:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By optoisolator:

That's already been announced - it was a Hamcation.  If anything I agree that it's an update to the 9700.
View Quote

Announced but not released, no FCC approval yet.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:53:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:

View All Quotes

There just wasn't a place for that kind of radio in the traditional scheme of amateur radio.

There are places in the world that have license classes limited to 10 watts, and 5w QRP is traditional, so 5/10w radios have been the norm.

Maybe the explosion of POTA stuff, and that it's spreading beyond the US might finally get that kind of radio onto the market.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:33:12 PM EDT
[#30]

There just wasn't a place for that kind of radio in the traditional scheme of amateur radio.

There are places in the world that have license classes limited to 10 watts, and 5w QRP is traditional, so 5/10w radios have been the norm.

Maybe the explosion of POTA stuff, and that it's spreading beyond the US might finally get that kind of radio onto the market.
View Quote

In 2024 you would think we would have HF radios with an IP rating & be able to run digital modes directly on it without tablet's/ laptops. & 20 watts is the sweet spot for power vs energy usage.

Zeigu x6100 with onboard JS8Call

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:43:34 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm still waiting for Yaesu to come out with a 21st century version of the venerable FT-857D. If they did, I'd swap out my ft-891 in the Jeep to regain the 2m/70cm that I lost when I took out the 857 for the 891. Yaesu doesn't seem to ever be in a hurry to bring out new stuff, though. Not sure whether it's supply chain issues or lack of design engineers.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:55:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Actually one improvement I would like Icom do is to add a mic port on the remote head of the ID-5100. That way there is only one cable to run from the main unit instead of one cable for the remote head and another cable for the mic.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:13:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By planemaker:
I'm still waiting for Yaesu to come out with a 21st century version of the venerable FT-857D. If they did, I'd swap out my ft-891 in the Jeep to regain the 2m/70cm that I lost when I took out the 857 for the 891. Yaesu doesn't seem to ever be in a hurry to bring out new stuff, though. Not sure whether it's supply chain issues or lack of design engineers.
View Quote

100% it’s long overdue
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:47:56 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

I held off on buying an 891, hoping they would add all-mode VHF/UHF like the old 857

eventually, I gave up and bought one.

I like it better than the 857, but V/U would be wonderful

....especially in todays smaller cars with busier dashboard space

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:39:16 AM EDT
[#35]

I held off on buying an 891, hoping they would add all-mode VHF/UHF like the old 857

View All Quotes

I thought I'd want it, but honestly, and especially for my area, an HT does everything I need for V/U.  That's not to say it wouldn't be great to have an all in one radio.  Especially with the ability to do SSB.  But I have spent less than 15 minutes transmitting on repeaters in the last 5 years or so combined.  

If there was a busy repeater with 24/7 ragchews going on I'd probably want something better than an HT.  But I don't even have a VHF/UHF antenna set up at home.  When I sold my truck to buy a jeep, I took the little dual band radio out and didn't bother to install it in the jeep.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:39:22 PM EDT
[#36]
There's talk floating around out there of Kenwood announcing a new replacement to the D710, with similar features of the D75. I hope it's true, that would be awesome!
View Quote

Any year now.

Seriously this was rumored while the D74A was still in production.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:13:06 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

Now that is cool.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:48:02 AM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

I run an 857 and 8900. I hate having to choose between HF or others at a time. I wish I had the better receiver of the 891.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:32:36 AM EDT
[#39]
I have an FT90 and an Ft891 in the truck. The FT90 is now about 24 years old. I bought it because it would fit into the dash of another older truck. so two rigs in the truck. I though seriously about getting a 7100 to cover both roles, BUT the more I thought about it, the less appealing that was to me. I like having two rigs. I often monitor the local repeater while listening and tuning HF.  I see this as an advantage over the 1 rig solution. Sometimes 10 pounds of "stuff" in a 5 pound bag is not such a good idea. Also another consideration is if the V/U rig failed, you would still have HF to play with or vice versa. So I am sticking with what I have. I have a lot more room now for the VHF/UHF rig so I could change to a larger one.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:12:24 PM EDT
[#40]
I searched the FCC database and did not find anything from Icom or Kenwood that was recently approved or an application submitted.  The only thing I could find were scanners, and receivers.  If they have a product update to an existing product I would think they would need to get a new FCC ID for it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:24:15 PM EDT
[#41]
In the past they have done the filings like a week before if my memory serves me correctly.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:03:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ohiogators] [#42]
Now gigaparts has this cryptic sale on the 7100. $300 off list and they won’t name the radio.

Seems like this makes a 7100 replacement the most likely candidate.

Click here

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:30:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Now gigaparts has this cryptic sale on the 7100. $300 off list and they won’t name the radio.

Click here

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/336742/IMG_2098_jpeg-3209768.JPG

View Quote

I checked those specs - their mystery radio has to be a 7100, which is funny cause its in their photo, lol.  Its a nice radio too for the price!!
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:36:29 PM EDT
[#44]

I checked those specs - their mystery radio has to be a 7100, which is funny cause its in their photo, lol.  Its a nice radio too for the price!!
View Quote

Yeah that’s like 2019 pricing. I’ve had a 7100 for several years and it is the perfect radio for me.

Still hoping for an update and keep the same form factor.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:30:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jambalaya] [#45]
Now gigaparts has this cryptic sale on the 7100. $300 off list and they won't name the radio.

Click here

View Quote

Here are the specs.  It doesn't mention an internal tuner so it's likely a mobile HF/VHF/UHF radio.  That narrows down the possible choices.

I suspect this is a work-around for selling it below MAP.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:47:42 PM EDT
[#46]

Here are the specs.  It doesn't mention an internal tuner so it's likely a mobile HF/VHF/UHF radio.  That narrows down the possible choices.

I suspect this is a work-around for selling it below MAP.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/80518/1000011254_jpg-3209913.JPG
View Quote

That's a strange way to sell a radio.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:56:59 PM EDT
[#47]

That's a strange way to sell a radio.
View Quote

25% off a current model with a new radio being announced in a week?

Icom probably doesn’t want them letting the cat out of the bag on the new radio.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:26:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#48]
It just keeps raining.

Anyone have a spare hotel room in Xenia for next weekend?

As far as the mystery box, sure looks like they're blowing out some IC7100s, which means they're probably being replaced by something that Gigaparts thinks will be more desirable.

I've shown this radio before. One of the many frustrations with Icom:
https://www.icomamerica.com/lineup/products/IC-F8101/
This is from their commercial line. With a new faceplate and firmware it would make a very desirable niche amateur product as a (much smaller) replacement for the 7200 as a ruggedized radio, and also  some mobile users. But apparently the people in Japan don't see the market for that.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:09:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: smeeg] [#49]

Click here

View Quote

Please update it so it has a normal footprint with internal ATU & sound card 🙏🙏🙏

That cryptic ad is defiantly to get around MAP
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:10:39 PM EDT
[#50]
It just keeps raining.

Anyone have a spare hotel room in Xenia for next weekend?

As far as the mystery box, sure looks like they're blowing out some IC7100s, which means they're probably being replaced by something that Gigaparts thinks will be more desirable.

I've shown this radio before. One of the many frustrations with Icom:
https://www.icomamerica.com/lineup/products/IC-F8101/
This is from their commercial line. With a new faceplate and firmware it would make a very desirable niche amateur product as a (much smaller) replacement for the 7200 as a ruggedized radio, and also  some mobile users. But apparently the people in Japan don't see the market for that.
View Quote

That would be awesome it actually has an ip rating
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top