Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2020 10:13:46 PM EDT
I work for a nonprofit, known for its gyms and pools. Compared to many others I've worked at and visited, it's actually in a very safe spot. But shit happens.

Now if, God forbid, something were to happen... We're basically dead in the water. I cannot carry in the building, and running to my car is still precious time.

So I decided to throw together an emergency kit of things I'd be able to argue for, should it be found. I really don't want to get fired. I like my job.  

A decent size Harbor Freight knockoff Pelican case now contains 1 large can of Sabre home defense pepper gel, 1 quikclot trauma pack, 1 tourniquet, 4 large zip ties, 1 Mora knife.

I have some room left.

Being the head of maintenance, my office already has a lot of supplies. First aid, safety, emergency flashlights, even some canned food I stored away in case I get snowed in. Though I might pick up a few glow sticks, just in case.

Any other suggestions?  

Where I would never be able to argue for a firearm, I figure the pepper gel can be justified by our location and the possibility of wild animals. Everything else is just general emergency supplies.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 10:50:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Glad to see yours is still open. the one that my wife goes to, closed months ago.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 11:43:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Glad to see yours is still open. the one that my wife goes to, closed months ago.
View Quote

We got lucky. Closed for lockdown, but qualified for the PPP loan. Still went through a lot of layoffs just to keep doors open.

Some centers outside ours supposedly tried to keep charging dues while shut down. While I understand why, it's suicidal. No one comes back to a gym that charges you when you can't even walk in the door.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 11:54:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I had similar problems as a classroom teacher...would you need to be able to secure doors?...after the Columbine Co tragedy,  I cut 2 wood door stops for each of my inward opening doors and dedicated hammer... couple of 2x2s that could be used as cross ties with pairs of 550 cord looped over the door handle to secure my outward opening doors.... my trauma kit for the class had a couple of Israeli bandages, kerlix gauze, petroleum gauze, and a bunch of 4x4s... stretch tape and 550 cord with windlass for improvised tourniquet

Link Posted: 8/27/2020 1:57:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like you probably already have extrication tools, pry bars, etc. available.  

What about smoke hoods?  I'd suspect you're on the ground floor if you can run out to your car, but just a thought.

Otherwise, gloves, work and latex, would be great and take up little room.  Same with eye pro.  Glow sticks for lume and location ID are handy as well, and everyone can use them.  Door stops like the wedge-it are necessary in my kits for buildings also.  You can make door stops cheap enough with a wood block and a bent nail and stage them if needed also.  Decent door stops, or a means to secure doors, could keep folks inside safe is a knucklehead decided to do something dumb.  

A case of water in the corner would draw very little attention, too.  

Hope that helps.

Link Posted: 8/27/2020 6:24:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Someone already mentioned it but a good way to reinforce door locks (chain, bike cable, 550, whatever).

One of those small car rescue hammers to get you through safety glass could be handy.

I'd carry a 3-4" flathead screw driver.  Great for pulling hinges, prying covers, and as a defensive weapon.

Also have you considered changing out the normal Mora for one of their chisel knives?  That might open up more options you could need as well over the regular Mora.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 8:04:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Good ideas, all around. Most of it's covered by the general crap in my office, so that's a plus.

One or two door wedges might be good. Can't leave anything with the individual doors themselves, since it will disappear or someone could use it to barricade a room in order to do something they shouldn't.

One of my biggest worries is that if something happens where shelter-in-place lockdown is necessary (ie: active shooter), lockdown is basically impossible in my facility. Most doors do lock, but it's also a lot of wide open areas. Children in the programs may be outside, in the basketball gym, etc.

The biggest benefit of my facility is only one entrance. Without a key or making a huge ruckus, you're not getting in anywhere but the main entrance.

Now that we're about to incorporate distance learning programs, we'll be setting things up more similar to a traditional school. This might improve lockdown ability. I'll have to start meeting with staff and make sure there's SOME kind of plan in place.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#7]
HellSpork... if you deal with teachers they will "what if " you to death (BTDT) in your planning, and most likely want to settle on the status quo as they don't have the same perception of threat (need) as you have... just a friendly warning... good luck

we worked out a pretty good reporting system for suspected student with gun if that applies to your situation...
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 3:54:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Have you looked into options to secure doors?  For example, https://fightingchancesolutions.com/products/the-sleeve or https://fightingchancesolutions.com/products/rampart

There are plenty of others out there; these just came up first in a Google search.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 9:19:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had similar problems as a classroom teacher...would you need to be able to secure doors?...after the Columbine Co tragedy,  I cut 2 wood door stops for each of my inward opening doors and dedicated hammer... couple of 2x2s that could be used as cross ties with pairs of 550 cord looped over the door handle to secure my outward opening doors.... my trauma kit for the class had a couple of Israeli bandages, kerlix gauze, petroleum gauze, and a bunch of 4x4s... stretch tape and 550 cord with windlass for improvised tourniquet

View Quote

I also teach and have two sling shots and ball bearings plus the first aid items you have.

You can also use about a 12-inch piece of old fire hose to go over the door actuator arms.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top