Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2019 6:00:51 AM EDT
Local place has 100's of tons of wood ash sand mixture for free...

Can this be used on fields for balancing PH ?

Or is free not really free??

Can it be packed down to make roads/trails?
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 6:18:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I let a farmer neighbor use some of my land for growing potatoes once, after one harvest he spread a bunch of wood ash all over. He said it was to replenish the nitrates I believe.

He was about 70 and seemed to know what he was talking about and doing.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 6:55:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Wood ash or coal cinders?
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 7:35:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wood ash or coal cinders?
View Quote
Maybe potash?
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 10:15:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I use wood ash in my homemade liquid fertilizer mixtures and in composting.

Its relevant what kind of wood they’re using and whether its burned with chemicals. Some woods are poisonous or otherwise chemically undesirable. I couldn’t say what burning will and will not neutralize.

My wood is oak, and rarely I’ll use pine. I collect my ash from my meat smoker.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 12:23:43 PM EDT
[#5]
This is wood ash from a power plant of some kind.

I emailed them to find out what type of wood etc...  waiting to hear back
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 11:07:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I let a farmer neighbor use some of my land for growing potatoes once, after one harvest he spread a bunch of wood ash all over. He said it was to replenish the nitrates I believe.

He was about 70 and seemed to know what he was talking about and doing.
View Quote
Negative on the nitrates or any nitrogenous compounds.  Mostly potash, magnesium, and phosphorous and micronutrients.  Wood tends to be alkaline.

If it's not railroad ties and treated lumber,  the ash can be useful.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 11:09:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hmmmm…...not a prison power plant by chance?
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 11:12:38 PM EDT
[#8]
We added ash from our woodburner, eggshells, and coffee grounds to our vegetable garden soil initially, as the soil was mostly sand.  Mulch was grass clippings and leaves.  Maybe a bit of 12-12-12-/lime every year.

Everything we plant grows like crazy and the soil is 12" of black dirt that is full of earthworms.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 12:45:42 AM EDT
[#9]
It does hold micronutrients but it will also raise your pH. That's not a bad thing if done in moderation and you're in an area that would normally need lime anyways...
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 7:16:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Have not heard back from power plant.

My fields are only for food plots, but they are 5-5.6 PH and fine sandy loam.

I lime the crap out of them.  Guess I will continue with the lime,

Need to find some horse poop...
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 12:24:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Have not heard back from power plant.
View Quote
Maybe a blessing in disguise. It would be nearly impossible to undo the damage had it turned out the ash contained some chemicals bad for your crops.

Some manures have this problem as well. The cattle or horses may be fed hay treated with herbicides for weeds so that the hay is pure. The herbicides will pass thru the animal and come out in the manure, making the manure toxic to most plants you’d want to grow. If you work that sort of tainted manure into your plots or fields, you’ve basically damned your crops for a few seasons.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 12:41:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Alright,    The power plant sent me an analysis of the fly ash.   They say the Virginia dept. of ag has approved this for use on fields.

Here are my red flags:

All the following are in the Very High category:

m3 phosphorous
OM- not sure what that is
Potassium
Sodium
Sulfur
Manganese
Copper
Boron
Soluble Salts

The PH is 10.5

K percent is 26.8
MG   is 16.3
Ca is 41.5
Na is 15.3

Anyone know what this all means?
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 1:30:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Contact the local extension office and see what they recommend.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 1:51:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
I doubt its useful. I worked at a plant.
I didn't want it on me cause I knew what it was.
Definitely not in a garden
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 10:07:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Alright,    The power plant sent me an analysis of the fly ash.   They say the Virginia dept. of ag has approved this for use on fields.

Here are my red flags:

All the following are in the Very High category:

m3 phosphorous
Potassium
Sodium
Sulfur
Manganese
Copper
Boron
Soluble Salts

The PH is 10.5

K percent is 26.8
MG   is 16.3
Ca is 41.5
Na is 15.3

Anyone know what this all means?
View Quote
Fly ash is usually associated with coal and very high sodium and sulfur usually aren't a wood constituent.  If so, I'm more concerned about the heavy metals they aren't listing.   Are you sure they burn wood?
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 3:09:05 PM EDT
[#16]
The report state Wood fly ash.

I think I will continue using Lime and Fertilizer on my fields.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 9:19:40 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote
Most likely Organic Matter, if so that's good stuff.

You need to determine your nutrient needs based on what your trying
to grow. Different plants will respond to various micro nutrients in very different ways,
sometimes not good ways.
Another post mentioned contacting your extension service, very good advice.

Also, I'm gonna call BS on herbicides transferring thru manure for years, I can't get herbicides to work for weeks
when applied directly at labeled rates.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 7:54:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Agree on the find out needs first.

I have 3 soil samples out for testing right now.

Yeah the pooped out roundup seems a bit of a stretch
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 12:05:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Also, I'm gonna call BS on herbicides transferring thru manure for years, I can't get herbicides to work for weeks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

So when you call BS on someone, and it turns out you're the one that's wrong, does that make you the BSer?

https://lee.ces.ncsu.edu/2016/03/herbicide-carryover-in-hay-manure-compost-and-grass-clippings/

https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/herbicide-carryover

http://www.pesticides.montana.edu/documents/references/Montana%20Herbicide%20Carryover%20Booklet%2011-2011%20LO-RES.pdf

"Depending on the herbicide properties, the herbicide residue and breakdown can take months to years to fully decompose, depending on the specific herbicide and its properties.
Picloram, clopyralid, aminopyralid and aminocyclopyrachlor can remain active in hay, grass clippings, piles of manure and compost for an unusually long time.... These herbicides eventually break down through exposure to sunlight, soil microbes, heat and moisture. Depending on the situation, the herbicides can be deactivated in as few as a couple of months, but some field reports indicate that breakdown can take as long as three to four years."
I didn't say that the herbicide stays active in the animal for years. I said that the herbicide can ruin your soil for years (or seasons actually). Obviously it depends on the herbicide used.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yeah the pooped out roundup seems a bit of a stretch
View Quote
I didn't mention Roundup. Roundup is actually one of the fastest herbicides to break down according to most (there's a minority opinion that it stays around a while).
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Double Post
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 2:42:58 PM EDT
[#22]
So when you call BS on someone, and it turns out you're the one that's wrong, does that make you the BSer?
View Quote
Why yes, yes it does

Don't use any of the chems you listed so I'm not familiar, but I'm shocked any herbicide would have that long of a residual.

Looked up the chemicals and I do recognize picloram, trade name Crossbow.
Don't use that on the farm for obvious reasons.

Aminocyclopyrachlor has been banned,
https://blog.restek.com/?p=3307

The more you know, right

@SwampFrog
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 11:15:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Why yes, yes it does

Don't use any of the chems you listed so I'm not familiar, but I'm shocked any herbicide would have that long of a residual.

Looked up the chemicals and I do recognize picloram, trade name Crossbow.
Don't use that on the farm for obvious reasons.

Aminocyclopyrachlor has been banned,
https://blog.restek.com/?p=3307

The more you know, right

@SwampFrog
View Quote
I didn't know it either until I got into composting and stumbled over the information from another Florida composter who found it out the hard way. About the best I can do is to use my own manure so I know where it comes from, but I wish I had access to some manure that I knew for sure was clean so I could compost on a larger scale and make some quick potting soil whenever the urge hits.

I do know that over 20 years ago when I was a teenager my family grew hay for local horse farms and that hay was spot treated with herbacides to keep it pure. I do not know what what used, simply that it went into the hay wherever undesirable grasses were appearing and the hay of course went into the horses. It shouldn't have had any affect on the animals, but who knows if it had an effect on the manure. I think the idea is that some of those herbicides don't effect grass but do effect more succulent plants, the kind we'd be wanting to grow in our gardens.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 1:34:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 1:40:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:33:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Small anecdote on herbicide persistence:
When I was young I got goats to show at the fair. I had nothing for them. Dad (a farmer) found a cracked bulk chemical tank at the local co-op. He got it free, with the idea to rinse it really well cut an opening and use for a livestock hutch. We have no idea what chemical it held bc the label was long gone. The first rinse we strapped it to a trailer, filled with water and drove around for a while. Then drove along the lane back towards the woods and let it run out along the lane. The first few feet of ag field next to the lane was well-covered with mystery chemical. The beans never came up there, neither did any other crop for several years... we've never repeated that mistake again...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top