Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2022 4:48:40 PM EDT
This is a public service announcement that under no circumstances is it acceptable for wood chopping tools to fail when chopping wood.  It is irrelevant that there may be better designed/purposed tools for the particular job, wood cutting tools that break when cutting wood are trash.  And one shouldn’t buy them nor make excuses for them.

Ontario Milsurp in use by OP for 30 years vs Cured Pecan Wood (Hard)
Attachment Attached File

Handle of Machete and branch for size comparison (scale)
Attachment Attached File

Start of Cut
Attachment Attached File

After cut
Attachment Attached File

No Damage to Edge.  Note corrosion stains = No Clean Up of Edge
Attachment Attached File

Get out of the basement, put down the hot pocket, wash the Cheto dust off your wood
Ontario Mil Surplus vs Cured Pecan
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:19:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Not bad at all, considering that most machetes are not actually intended for chopping wood.

Info on Tier 1 sawbuck?
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:27:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Machetes are not designed for chopping wood.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:37:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not bad at all, considering that most machetes are not actually intended for chopping wood.

Info on Tier 1 sawbuck?
View Quote

Sawbuck sucks.  My neighbor left it behind when he moved, now I know why.  They are about $50 at Tractor Supply.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:39:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Machetes are not designed for chopping wood.
View Quote

I know.  But wood shouldn’t break them either.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 7:54:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Wrong tool for that task, operator error not the tool.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 6:34:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Next I'm going to throw away my axes and hatchets because they don't work as excellent screwdrivers.  

I don't understand the OP's issue here.  Why would you not simply utilize a hatchet for the chopping you needed to do?  Or, if you really have to use a machete to "chop" simply swing at an angle to creat a "V" type cut.  I have the exact same Gerber machete and it works well to hack small limbs, vines and tall grasses.  It was never intended to cut thick, stout stuff.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 7:10:47 AM EDT
[#7]
The machete I use the most is one my sister brought back from the Honduras. Car spring material, I've beat the hell out of it for 40+ years now.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 8:58:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Machetes aren't made for oral surgery either.. Hopefully at your next dentist appt they don't pull one out and ignore the whole "right tool for the job" idea like you do...
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Next I'm going to throw away my axes and hatchets because they don't work as excellent screwdrivers.  

I don't understand the OP's issue here.  Why would you not simply utilize a hatchet for the chopping you needed to do?  Or, if you really have to use a machete to "chop" simply swing at an angle to creat a "V" type cut.  I have the exact same Gerber machete and it works well to hack small limbs, vines and tall grasses.  It was never intended to cut thick, stout stuff.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sometimes in an emergency (Survival Discussions) you need to use what you have on hand, not what you’ve got back at the house.  If you abuse the Gerber, you won’t have a useable tool very long.  If you have a better quality tool, you can finish the emergency and still have a useable tool.

I didn’t do a v cut because I wanted to emphasize the abuse.  Because I totally expected my accuracy to be as precise as it was and that had NOTHING to do with luck at all.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The machete I use the most is one my sister brought back from the Honduras. Car spring material, I've beat the hell out of it for 40+ years now.
View Quote

Sounds like a nice tool!  I was very surprised about year 5 that I hadn’t screwed up my machete made by the lowest bidder.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 5:33:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Machetes aren't made for oral surgery either.. Hopefully at your next dentist appt they don't pull one out and ignore the whole "right tool for the job" idea like you do...
View Quote

My dentist offices out of his basement at his parents house.  He has every tool one could imagine for every conceivable purpose down there, even though he rarely leaves the basement.  His Mom brings complimentary hot pockets and Cheeto’s to the waiting area. I’m pretty sure he’s a member here…
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 6:36:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm with ya, OP. Regardless of the design intent, a decent machete should hold up to that kind of use. You're not asking it to break rocks. If it doesn't hold up to use slightly outside of its envelope, use it as a target, then throw it in the scrap pile.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm with ya, OP. Regardless of the design intent, a decent machete should hold up to that kind of use. You're not asking it to break rocks. If it doesn't hold up to use slightly outside of its envelope, use it as a target, then throw it in the scrap pile.
View Quote

Exactly.  Thank you for understanding my point.  If someone bent or broke a shovel head digging it’s FIRST hole.  In dirt.  I would appreciate it if someone would tell me so I would be sure not to buy it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 9:45:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Get an axe or saw.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 10:04:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Think I would have just used my bow saw for that.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 4:52:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good summation.  If you don't have every tool for every job at your immediate disposal ( which is common in emergency situations) it's good to know the usable boundaries of the tool you do have and if that tool is woefully inadequate for a stretch from it's comfort zone then it's time to replace it with a more durable equivalent.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 5:16:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

it's a follow up to
this thread.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 6:18:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Pecan is tough wood.
I use a saw. Pruning wounds heal a lot quicker with a smooth cut.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 6:42:22 AM EDT
[#19]
It's a good test to see how durable your blade is and yours passed the test. It's always nice to know your tools will hold up over time.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 7:40:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Good to know the limitations of your tools. Like using a wrench or a rock as a hammer. Live long enough and you'll find yourself in a spot where you don't have the perfect tool so you improvise.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 3:17:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Exactly.  Thank you for understanding my point.  If someone bent or broke a shovel head digging it’s FIRST hole.  In dirt.  I would appreciate it if someone would tell me so I would be sure not to buy it.
View Quote

I got your point right off the bat...maybe it's a Texas thing.  Thank you for sharing and hopefully enlightening some.  We all have a lot of tools for a lot of jobs, but in a crisis will you have the perfect solution.  Can you improvise and will that tool work or fail.  It's not about what you have, but what you have right now.

Same applies to medical skills and equipment.  Due to my job I have access to all the latest whiz bang tools and equipment.  But if SHTF and I don't have it with me, can I improvise and come up with effective substitutes.  A valuable lesson I learned long ago and something I try to pass along to the newbies now (when they will listen).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top