Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2022 10:03:13 PM EDT
The park we have our 5th wheel in is kinda new and lacking on equipment. We moved to another site a little farther away from where we were and the wifi literally ends 30 feet from our door. The park told me where the one and only antenna is located and its a ways away. They said some people bought some gadget so they could use the wifi. I'm assuming a booster of some sort. She asked for my advice and I told her to have the cable/internet company install antennas throughout the park.

But for the time being until that gets done (if ever) we are going to have our camper there about 6 more months, what type of equipment can I get to pull the wifi signal? I see "RV" boosters on camping world but do I really need that or can I use a residential "wifi booster"?
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 3:08:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I tried a WiFi booster from WalMart for $40 for a similar issue.  Put it as high up in your camper as you can, preferably in a window that looks towards the antenna.  Read the instructions carefully.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 10:37:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, so it was a residential one not RV specific? Did you have any favorable results? Happen to recall the brand/model?
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:22:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By purple85gt:  Thanks, so it was a residential one not RV specific? Did you have any favorable results? Happen to recall the brand/model?
View Quote

Yes, just a residential WiFi extender.  Worked fine, hung it in a window facing the mobile home on the next lot over that had the WiFi antenna, it rebroadcast the signal strongly to the other end of the mobile home I was in.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Don’t waste your $$, wifi at campgrounds are a joke. Unless you’re the only person there and they have a great service you’re not going to be able to do shit on their network. We’ve been to a lot of RV resorts and have never once gotten their wifi to work at all. Currently in a high end one for the winter that has boosters all over and I can connect to 6 different extenders and not one will do anything and there’s hardly anyone here because it’s winter.

The boosters like weboost also don’t do Jack shit.

I work remotely and have to have great internet and the only thing I’ve found that works is my own. We have a peplink router which is far better than the shitty Bethesda and stuff, it’s what they put in emergency vehicles and it’s setup with both Verizon and ATT SIM cards and service so it will use both networks whichever has better service. Then we have ATT and Verizon for homes with mobile hotspot for backup when we run out of data.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 6:49:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By hiih8r:  Don’t waste your $$, wifi at campgrounds are a joke. Unless you’re the only person there and they have a great service you’re not going to be able to do shit on their network. We’ve been to a lot of RV resorts and have never once gotten their wifi to work at all. Currently in a high end one for the winter that has boosters all over and I can connect to 6 different extenders and not one will do anything and there’s hardly anyone here because it’s winter.

The boosters like weboost also don’t do Jack shit.

I work remotely and have to have great internet and the only thing I’ve found that works is my own. We have a peplink router which is far better than the shitty Bethesda and stuff, it’s what they put in emergency vehicles and it’s setup with both Verizon and ATT SIM cards and service so it will use both networks whichever has better service. Then we have ATT and Verizon for homes with mobile hotspot for backup when we run out of data.
View Quote

Given his needs were previously met by the park's WiFi, I'd presume if he got a booster and was able to connect, his needs would continue to be met by the park's WiFi.  If you depend on WiFi for work, your internet bandwidth needs are probably significantly larger than the casual user.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 12:15:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Given his needs were previously met by the park's WiFi, I'd presume if he got a booster and was able to connect, his needs would continue to be met by the park's WiFi.  If you depend on WiFi for work, your internet bandwidth needs are probably significantly larger than the casual user.
View Quote

The wifi prior to the move was adequate for web pages/video on the laptop and even streaming on a smart tv. I'm hoping mgmt will get more antennas installed but they are very new and quite honestly, don't have a clue what they are doing
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 11:19:50 AM EDT
[#7]
My FIL uses a weboost. The wineguard 360+ that came with my camper worked good enough.

Honestly, Starlink has been a gamechanger for us. I don't even bother trying the campgrounds wifi anymore.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 3:38:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I couldn’t get the $54 Walmart extender to work. I even strung extension cords out to where I can get it with my phone but I still couldn’t get it to work. Starlink doesn’t appear available in the south east yet.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 6:47:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Well damn.

Wait, you can get WiFi w/ your phone?  Run a long USB cable from your laptop to the phone.

I did find the cheap WalMart extender not the easiest thing to set up.  Before you take it back, might try setting it up inside the clubhouse, make sure the laptop is connecting to the extender rather than the camp WiFi, save the settings, then try hanging the extender from the extension cord again and see if it'll work then.  Apologies if you've spend hours already doing that.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 8:55:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I can get the camp WiFi on my phone if I walk ~30 feet toward the office from our camper. I returned it already. We sporadically had connection on the TV this afternoon. Mgmt said she rebooted it. Doesn’t work now though. Really pushing her to put in some antennas.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 9:38:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By purple85gt:  I can get the camp WiFi on my phone if I walk ~30 feet toward the office from our camper. I returned it already. We sporadically had connection on the TV this afternoon. Mgmt said she rebooted it. Doesn’t work now though. Really pushing her to put in some antennas.
View Quote

Of course, antennae will give everyone in the park a good strong WiFi signal, so bandwidth will go to hell...

Any trees around?  Can you get a signal on your phone from on top of your camper?  Would be nice to buy a cheap burner phone and tether the laptop to it w/ a long USB cable, seal the phone up in a plastic bag.  Does your laptop have Bluetooth?  Might be able to tether to the phone via Bluetooth, while it connects to WiFi.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 9:41:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By purple85gt:
I couldn’t get the $54 Walmart extender to work. I even strung extension cords out to where I can get it with my phone but I still couldn’t get it to work. Starlink doesn’t appear available in the south east yet.
View Quote

Starlink works in the SE. I’ve used it all over AL, GA, TN, and FL.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 9:09:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: purple85gt] [#13]
Originally Posted By Hamiltbl2:

Starlink works in the SE. I’ve used it all over AL, GA, TN, and FL.
View Quote

Do you have the RV or residential version? We have a 5th wheel not a motorhome. It looks like the difference between the RV and home is the antenna, the ability to use in motion (rv) and price.

Im wondering, if we got the home version we could use it at home (eliminate home local internet) and at the camper? We are about 60/40 between the house and camper and taking it back and forth I could deal with.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 9:17:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Do you have the RV or residential version? We have a 5th wheel not a motorhome. It looks like the difference between the RV and home is the antenna, the ability to use in motion (rv) and price.

Im wondering, if we got the home version we could use it at home (eliminate home local internet) and at the camper? We are about 60/40 between the house and camper and taking it back and forth I could deal with.
View Quote

I have the RV version. It’s $135/mo. They charge an extra $25/mo for “mobility”. Speeds kinda vary depending on location and obstructions but I can’t remember the last time it wasn’t acceptable for streaming.

Typically I just throw it on the roof and run the cable to the router in one the slides.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 9:30:13 AM EDT
[#15]

I have the RV version. It’s $135/mo. They charge an extra $25/mo for “mobility”. Speeds kinda vary depending on location and obstructions but I can’t remember the last time it wasn’t acceptable for streaming.

Typically I just throw it on the roof and run the cable to the router in one the slides.
View Quote

I don’t need the ability to use while traveling down the road if that’s what they mean by mobility.

My interest is to use it at home and when we go to the camper for a few days, take it and use it there. This cancelling my home internet that’s ~$100 and just use  the starlink for ~$110 for both. I would have to lug equipment and set it up every time but….
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 9:41:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BLKVooDoo] [#16]
Nobody has shown OP the ways of Uibiquiti yet?

Holy Smokes...

Get this and aim it at the campgrounds wifi: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072KQNGB1?tag=arfcom00-20 - This will shoot a narrow beam wifi signal for miles. Easy App setup on your phone. Mount on something about 10'-15' up, aimed directly at the campground antenna.

Using a CAT6 cable, link it to this inside the 5th wheel: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FFNTLJD?tag=arfcom00-20 - Again, super easy to setup using the Ubiquiti app on your phone.

Outdoor cat 6 cable: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P2SVTW7?tag=arfcom00-20

Starlink would give you the best internet you can get. Yes it is expensive. But you would have the best. The mobility part means you can pick it up and go anywhere with it. Want to move campgrounds? No problem. Want to take it with you to a hunting lease? No problem. Going camping in the mountains? No problem. It works anywhere in the United States. You cannot use it while moving, or driving down the road. The NON-RV Starlink is Geo-Locked to a specific location. Meaning homes. You cannot take them places.

WeBoost is not for wifi internet, they are essentially small portable/mobile LTE repeaters. They work great for phones. If you got a HotSpot from your cell phone provider for internet, and didn't have very good signal, that would be the answer.

The best bang for your buck, to use the campgrounds internet, Ubiquiti is the answer for you.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 9:55:49 AM EDT
[#17]
My family’s home overseas is out on its own, away from the village, we set up an antenna on my cousins home, placed another on mine and bounced her signal to my house.  Worked great for years was enough for us worked great till I purchased a wifi router last summer(plug and play) pay as you go……we had unlimited gigs and able to stream without buffering for $20 Euros(1 month)
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 10:26:11 AM EDT
[#18]

I don’t need the ability to use while traveling down the road if that’s what they mean by mobility.

My interest is to use it at home and when we go to the camper for a few days, take it and use it there. This cancelling my home internet that’s ~$100 and just use  the starlink for ~$110 for both. I would have to lug equipment and set it up every time but….
View Quote

The mobility feature allows to use it anywhere - not while in motion. Basically you could use it at home or wherever your 5th wheel is parked.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#19]

The mobility feature allows to use it anywhere - not while in motion. Basically you could use it at home or wherever your 5th wheel is parked.
View Quote

Gotcha, that sounds like a good option for us. Can you show me the components so I have an idea how to run the cables, etc?

Between this and BLKVOODOOs idea I’m not sure what way to go yet.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 1:39:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BLKVooDoo] [#20]

Gotcha, that sounds like a good option for us. Can you show me the components so I have an idea how to run the cables, etc?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That is up to you. As I outlined, with the Ubiquiti hardware, it is a one and done purchase. Get it setup and you are GTG.

Going with Starlink, you have an initial cost 4x that of the Ubiquiti hardware, plus a $145 monthly reoccurring cost.

If you are going to stay at this campground with the 5th wheel and NOT travel 100% of the time, the Starlink makes no sense unless you want faster internet speeds.

For occasional traveling, a Mobile HotSpot from your cellphone provider makes more sense than the Starlink. At 1/10th the cost. Unless you will be in an area with limited or no cell coverage. Then go with Starlink.

ETA: I would go make a post in the Urban Commandos forum here, and see what they say. The hardware I linked may be older and there may be a better, newer option. But this is what I use to extend my wifi 1500' to my training field.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 3:44:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By BLKVooDoo:

That is up to you. As I outlined, with the Ubiquiti hardware, it is a one and done purchase. Get it setup and you are GTG.

Going with Starlink, you have an initial cost 4x that of the Ubiquiti hardware, plus a $145 monthly reoccurring cost.

If you are going to stay at this campground with the 5th wheel and NOT travel 100% of the time, the Starlink makes no sense unless you want faster internet speeds.

For occasional traveling, a Mobile HotSpot from your cellphone provider makes more sense than the Starlink. At 1/10th the cost. Unless you will be in an area with limited or no cell coverage. Then go with Starlink.

ETA: I would go make a post in the Urban Commandos forum here, and see what they say. The hardware I linked may be older and there may be a better, newer option. But this is what I use to extend my wifi 1500' to my training field.
View Quote

The camper will be there another 6 months. Beyond that I don't know, we are likely selling our house in SC and buying in GA. As far as the camper goes we will probably keep it at the house and be "weekenders" once the 6mo is up.

My thought with the starlink is if I can ditch my current home provider that we pay ~$100 just for internet and get the starlink for ~$145 and use it at the house while we are there and take it to the camper if we are there. In either place we are there for 3-5 days at a time depending on schedules. Once we get the new house and park or sell the camper I'd just use it at the house. Does that make sense or is it flawed thinking? If we get the mobile hotspot they are what? $50/month? Aren't they capped at a certain amount of data? We looked briefly into that option.

Just want to say thanks for all the responses so far.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 5:47:04 PM EDT
[#22]

The camper will be there another 6 months. Beyond that I don't know, we are likely selling our house in SC and buying in GA. As far as the camper goes we will probably keep it at the house and be "weekenders" once the 6mo is up.

My thought with the starlink is if I can ditch my current home provider that we pay ~$100 just for internet and get the starlink for ~$145 and use it at the house while we are there and take it to the camper if we are there. In either place we are there for 3-5 days at a time depending on schedules. Once we get the new house and park or sell the camper I'd just use it at the house. Does that make sense or is it flawed thinking? If we get the mobile hotspot they are what? $50/month? Aren't they capped at a certain amount of data? We looked briefly into that option.

View All Quotes

That is very sound thinking. And is what I will be doing as well. Using the Starlink at home, and take it with me when I travel. That way I can ditch Hughes internet which costs just as much as the Starlink. So it is not flawed thinking at all.

The prices for mobile hotspots vary, I pay $25 a month for unlimited through Sprint/TMobile. Their unlimited is the first 50gbs at high speed, after the 50gbs they throttle the speed. But what was nice about that, it is not under a service contract, and only use it when I need it. Call up TMobile, and pay for a month and done.

The Starlink will be a pain to take down and setup every time I go out of town, but so be it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By BLKVooDoo:  The Starlink will be a pain to take down and setup every time I go out of town, but so be it.
View Quote

Not really.  Starlink isn't a geosynchronous service, so it's not like you need an unobstructed sightline @ a particular spot 22000 miles above the equator.  It just needs to be pointed up - the more of the horizon it can see, the more satellites it can hit, but it can work sitting on the ground.  I seen it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 7:23:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Not really.  Starlink isn't a geosynchronous service, so it's not like you need an unobstructed sightline @ a particular spot 22000 miles above the equator.  It just needs to be pointed up - the more of the horizon it can see, the more satellites it can hit, but it can work sitting on the ground.  I seen it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BLKVooDoo:  The Starlink will be a pain to take down and setup every time I go out of town, but so be it.

I am not talking about getting the alignment right. I do not want the hassle of taking off the roof everything I want to leave with it. Alignment is the least of the issues with using it for both home and mobility.

My case is not a normal case though.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#25]

I am not talking about getting the alignment right. I do not want the hassle of taking off the roof everything I want to leave with it. Alignment is the least of the issues with using it for both home and mobility.

View Quote

I just read on their site that you just set it on the ground. The “dish” doesn’t need to be elevated as I understand it
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#26]

I just read on their site that you just set it on the ground. The “dish” doesn’t need to be elevated as I understand it
View All Quotes

It would be a dog toy if I left it on the ground.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 8:09:31 PM EDT
[#27]

It would be a dog toy if I left it on the ground.
View Quote

LOL fair enough
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 6:23:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maypo59] [#28]
If there is enough bandwidth a booster can work, and work well. If there isn't bandwidth, it doesn't matter how strong the signal is.

My wife works from the camper 4-6 months out of the year. As long as she has good signal/bandwidth, all is good.

We use a Marine/RV booster from RadioLabs.. It works. More than once, we have connected to a McDonalds or such that was a mile away, because the bandwidth was no good at the CG..

Link Posted: 12/30/2022 8:00:50 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

It's really easy to set up, only take a few minutes if that. I sit it on the ground if I'm only going to be there a day or two. It's currently sitting on top of my 5th wheel because I'll be here for a bit.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 1:44:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Hamiltbl2:  It's really easy to set up, only take a few minutes if that. I sit it on the ground if I'm only going to be there a day or two. It's currently sitting on top of my 5th wheel because I'll be here for a bit.
View Quote

Don't fergit.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 4:33:41 PM EDT
[#31]

Don't fergit.  
View Quote

I just run the cable through one slides so it's noticeable when I walk around it doing my final checks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top