Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2021 9:40:16 AM EDT
She's testing right now....

I'm guessing she will pass, she's been scoring 90%+ all week on the practice tests.

Link Posted: 4/10/2021 10:22:40 AM EDT
[#1]
So now every time you buy something for the shack you can say it's for her
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 11:39:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Very cool, good for her! I started studying, took some practice tests and dropped the ball. I never followed through.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 12:57:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice! My wife has no interest.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 12:58:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very cool, good for her! I started studying, took some practice tests and dropped the ball. I never followed through.
View Quote

Just do it! The Tech test is easy. General not too bad. Extra I've not bothered with, even though I'm a VE.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 5:08:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd like for my wife to get a technician license, so that we could converse if standard communications go down, but I'm not sure that she could grasp electrical theory though.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Well she passed the tech with a 100%

They asked her if she wanted to try the general, so she did and got a 26....so close.  I tried to get her to study a bit of the general stuff, but she didnt want too....

Anyway I'm proud of her
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Congratulations to her!
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:57:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well she passed the tech with a 100%

They asked her if she wanted to try the general, so she did and got a 26....so close.  I tried to get her to study a bit of the general stuff, but she didnt want too....

Anyway I'm proud of her
View Quote

That's awesome! Congrats to her. Wish the Missus was at all interested, but at the end of the day, if emergency comm is needed, she knows how to key the mike and we'll deal with Uncle Charlie if it's an issue.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 10:51:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd like for my wife to get a technician license, so that we could converse if standard communications go down, but I'm not sure that she could grasp electrical theory though.
View Quote

My wife has no clue about electrical theory but she passed a technician test with flying colors. It's just a matter of reading the questions and memorizing the answers. I bought a Gordon West book, she read it for about an hour daily. It took her about a week to complete. This was about 7 years ago. She could barely speak any English back then.

Does she know more about radios now? Not really, but she knows how to press a TX button on the radio and talk into it. Good enough for me.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:02:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Wife passed her tech last month. She wanted to check into a women's net that is south of our area. Tried on the HT connected to a N9TAX antenna to no avail. Told her I could fix the problem - so she made me buy another radio and antenna.

She's already talking on a few nets now and really getting into it. Studying for her General now, I'm wondering what she's going to make me buy next.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 8:13:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

My wife has no clue about electrical theory but she passed a technician test with flying colors. It's just a matter of reading the questions and memorizing the answers. I bought a Gordon West book, she read it for about an hour daily. It took her about a week to complete. This was about 7 years ago. She could barely speak any English back then.

Does she know more about radios now? Not really, but she knows how to press a TX button on the radio and talk into it. Good enough for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think more than 50% of hams learn for the test and then forget a huge portion of it.  Locally I listen to the local club on VHF when they run a net and they do a round robin answering questions off the tech, general and extra exams.   Even the old hams are guessing answers.  I know my electrical theory knowledge isn’t much better and is a bit fleeting.  I am studying extra now and it is a bit gibberish to me,....I unfortunately am back to hammering the test questions module by module.  The real electrical knowledge really isn’t taking root in my head.   I wish it was but it isn’t.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 4:26:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Good for her and you. My first wife licensed up as a novice in the late 1980's. Then got her tech plus in the early 1990's. When she left in 1999, she took her tech license and quite a few other things with her. Present wife is good with using GMRS, so I licensed us up for that. Fortunately, we have a high site repeater on emergency power around here.

RS
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 10:38:04 PM EDT
[#13]
My wife has taken the practice test several times and passed with at least a 85 or 90.

I need to get her to studying again and set her up to test.

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 7:34:33 PM EDT
[#14]
She's still waiting on her call sign....and I may have here talked into getting her general.  

She tends to try different things just to say she's done it.  Like getting her motorcycle license, but she never liked driving them.  She would rather just be along for the ride....lol
I did get her a little 25w mobile to keep in her car for emergency.  We have our GMRS but there's a lot more options on the ham band repeaters.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top