Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2021 10:19:05 PM EDT
I hear it daily on the repeaters around here. I'm not against it, but for me I want a solid RF system for when the internet is down and a node is useless.

I want a reliable RF system I can rely on.

I'm just starting out and want what works when nothing else does.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 5:27:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't have the answer to your question but based on your post, I thought you might find this fairly recent article of interest: ECOMM and Comms Preparedness - Zero Dependancy Winlink

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 6:25:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I hear it daily on the repeaters around here. I'm not against it, but for me I want a solid RF system for when the internet is down and a node is useless.

View Quote

Those are pretty vague requirements.

Who do you want to be able to communicate with, and under what conditions: mere SHTF, or full-on TEOTWAWKI?
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 6:50:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not all amateurs are worried about emcomm is the short of it all. Digital/VOIP is popular right now.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 7:18:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Couple local clubs consistently do microwave linking between repeaters whenever possible, so it'll have a little extra value if/when cell services are down.

Internet VoIP then allows people to get used to how it works because local VHF is mostly silent.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 3:17:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I think the push for nodes has a lot to do with the division of services in the amateur radio world. You have DSTAR, Fusion, DMR, P25, NXDN, and even analog but not a ton of support for mixing different formats on the infrastructure level. Having hotspot/nodes alleviates that so if a ham wants to use his local YSF repeater but only has an analog radio or a DMR radio, they can access it via the network side.

That being said, one of the major downfalls to System Fusion and DSTAR has to do with the server dependency which almost makes it impossible to interconnect systems without some form of internet connection. Then you have your commercial standards like DMR, P25 and NXDN which only need an IP network in order to be interconnected (IP doesn't mean internet). IP networks (RoIP/VoIP setups) aren't a fad either as they've become common place in many public safety systems (for the better) and offer higher levels of redundancy at a fraction of the cost compared to the old ways which utilized expensive phone switches or manual failover.

If looking for a reliable repeater network that can operate independently of the internet (seeing the OP is in Texas), you may look into the Armadillo Intertie as roughly 80% of that system is still RF linked via full-duplex link radios (though IP is becoming more common with some state agencies providing transport via their statewide networks).
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 6:17:37 PM EDT
[#6]
OP has a point.

Working a ham 7000miles away on a hotspot is neat, in the same way ARFCOM or qrz.com is neat, but it's more internet than radio.

AT&T is doing all the heavy lifting

Working a ham 7000miles away on HF is ham radio

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:29:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I use both. But RF contacts are WAY neater. I don't log the VoIP contacts either. It's kinda like logging a forum contact to me. But I enjoy the chit chat with folks around the world on DMR.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:33:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Attachment Attached File

I like the VOIP modes....unless there is DX on the air and then I am on HF.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top