Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2021 9:46:12 PM EDT
So I was scanning some frequencies today and listened to a couple of guys talking.

Now when I tune to that frequency I see a signal but no audio.

Squelch is just above the noise .

Attachment Attached File

I haven't really delved in to 2m.

And not sure why there is a strong signal but no audio.

It also happened when I heard those two guys talking earlier. Audio was fine signal was fine. Pulled up to a signal light and audio stopped. Turned the corner and audio was back. Signal strength never really changed.

Link Posted: 6/4/2021 10:31:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I see a T on the display got your ctcss tones turned on?
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 10:48:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That's just a transmit tone. Not tone squelch.

OP- What happens when you break the squelch open? Do you hear noise?
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 10:50:41 PM EDT
[#3]
K, not as familiar with icom.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 10:52:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I did hear the robot lady announce that it is PL tone 136.5

So I set my radio to that and seems I was able to open the repeater.

But even before that I could listen to a couple guys talking.

The signal strength is what has me.

I did figure out that it may be be the LED lights. Idk. When I took the pic in my garage, I was under LEDs the same as at the signal light earlier.

I pulled out into the driveway and the signal on the meter went away. When I pulled back in the garage under the LEDs I noticed it came back. But still no audio.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 11:04:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I did figure out that it may be be the LED lights. Idk. When I took the pic in my garage, I was under LEDs the same as at the signal light earlier.

I pulled out into the driveway and the signal on the meter went away. When I pulled back in the garage under the LEDs I noticed it came back. But still no audio.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More than likely a spurious emission from something then.

The 2720 is a good radio. I had one for a little while.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 6:38:52 AM EDT
[#6]
looks like you 'found' a localized spur near the frequency your radio was receiving OR a strong enough spur to overload your radios front-end.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 10:09:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
looks like you 'found' a localized spur near the frequency your radio was receiving OR a strong enough spur to overload your radios front-end.
View Quote

This is my guess. Gas stations in my AO always seem to do this on my radios.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 4:26:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that may be it. Pulled up to the hardware store this morning and the s meter was almost pegged out but no audio.  As soon as I backed out it stopped.

I only notice it on 2m , nothing like that on 70cm.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 9:17:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 11:07:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

The S meter is showing you noise level. You're getting a lot of RFI from something, probably LED drivers or who knows what else in the garage/house. Modern homes tend to be cesspools of RFI.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 12:21:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The S meter is showing you noise level. You're getting a lot of RFI from something, probably LED drivers or who knows what else in the garage/house. Modern homes tend to be cesspools of RFI.
View Quote

Is a recently built house?  As in the past 5 or 10 years?  If so you probably have some AFCI circuit breakers and they are known to cause RFI, especially those made by Eaton.  The breakers are mandated by the National Electric Code since 1999 on circuits feeding receptacles in bedrooms of dwellings, and the manufacturers are aware of the interference they are causing.  They are supposedly working on resolutions to the problem and Eaton has even been known to supply new breakers at no cost to some people.

Check and see if you have any.  They should have a test button and a label that reads AFCI on them.  If you do there's a good chance you found the source of your noise.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 8:09:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The bane of my work rig.   It’s the interference from the pumps talking to the computers inside.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 2:31:39 PM EDT
[#13]
The noise will show on the signal strength meter but will not get through the FM ( quadrature ) detector. You can get noise on a marginal signal when it rides through on top of the FM signal.
Rob
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 11:08:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Is a recently built house?  As in the past 5 or 10 years?  If so you probably have some AFCI circuit breakers and they are known to cause RFI, especially those made by Eaton.  The breakers are mandated by the National Electric Code since 1999 on circuits feeding receptacles in bedrooms of dwellings, and the manufacturers are aware of the interference they are causing.  They are supposedly working on resolutions to the problem and Eaton has even been known to supply new breakers at no cost to some people.

Check and see if you have any.  They should have a test button and a label that reads AFCI on them.  If you do there's a good chance you found the source of your noise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have any AFCI breakers. Built it in 2006. I'll probably have to add them to sell the house though.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 7:17:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I guess I have a similar question. My radio is an icom 2730.

On Friday nights, someone runs a repeater crawl.  We start and end with the same repeater and in between there are 8 other repeaters.  We check in on the first one and report signal strength and then move to the next repeater.

I programmed all the frequencies using Chirp.  The first 7 repeaters worked fine.  Repeaters 8 and 9 had no audio although I could see the meter moving.

I was parked off the side of the road in an area where the elevation is pretty high (about 300 ft higher than my house which is surrounded by hills).  I never moved or started the Jeep during this activity.  There are high voltage line running parallel to the street somewhere between 50 and 100 yards away on the other side of the street.

It seemed really strange. I've done the repeater crawl 3 times I think and this was the only time I had an issue.  I have parked in the same spot each time.

Link Posted: 6/9/2021 6:32:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I have an Icom 2730 in one of my trucks.  When I pull under my car port at home (with LED can lights that I leave on all the time) both bands will indicate signal just like your picture, but they oscillate constantly from low to high.  I just assume that's what is causing interference, because it goes away as soon as I clear the roof.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 11:46:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I guess I have a similar question. My radio is an icom 2730.

On Friday nights, someone runs a repeater crawl.  We start and end with the same repeater and in between there are 8 other repeaters.  We check in on the first one and report signal strength and then move to the next repeater.

I programmed all the frequencies using Chirp.  The first 7 repeaters worked fine.  Repeaters 8 and 9 had no audio although I could see the meter moving.

I was parked off the side of the road in an area where the elevation is pretty high (about 300 ft higher than my house which is surrounded by hills).  I never moved or started the Jeep during this activity.  There are high voltage line running parallel to the street somewhere between 50 and 100 yards away on the other side of the street.

It seemed really strange. I've done the repeater crawl 3 times I think and this was the only time I had an issue.  I have parked in the same spot each time.

View Quote

Did you program the receive with a CTCSS or DCS tone for filtering? Maybe you have the incorrect tone.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 4:37:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm not familiar with this radio, is it possible that you are in duplex mode, tx on one band and Rx on that other? does it auto mute the Tx band to prevent feedback?
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 5:11:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Sorry for not responding to the previous post.  I haven't had time to play with this to see what the issue is.  It did repeat again last night.

Here are the two repeaters that I have programmed where I can't hear audio but I can see the meter moving.

Attachment Attached File

I have similar settings for repeaters on other frequencies.  These are the only two repeaters where I have had issues.

I will readily admit that I don't have much of an idea about what I am doing.

I used CHIRP to program the radio.  The other repeaters I have used have worked fine.

Edited to fix the chart.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 5:36:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Try changing the tone column from TSQL to tone. Those repeaters may not transmit a tone.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I lived in an area where power line insulator noise was a repeated struggle.   The noise would raise the S-meter sometimes 30 over or higher, but it would not open the squelch and no audio heard.  If a signal was stronger than the noise it would open up the radio but the audio would carry the noise so it was often difficult to hear.

The issue is the noise is amplitude modulated so it is not detected by the FM receiver.   But it still has very strong field strength and it is in band so it will desense your receiver.    When I could hear the noise along with a strong signal is was a low buzz with a lot of frying noise.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Try changing the tone column from TSQL to tone. Those repeaters may not transmit a tone.
View Quote

This. It's very common for amateur repeaters to require a tone to access, but the repeater itself does not transmit a tone. I would take the DTCS info out also.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Here are the two repeaters that I have programmed where I can't hear audio but I can see the meter moving.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/67686/Screenshot_2021-06-26_171756_png-1992176.JPG

View Quote

Despite what I wrote, after seeing this chart I think you have tone squelch set on receive and you need to change your setting to use tone on transmit only.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 9:10:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This. It's very common for amateur repeaters to require a tone to access, but the repeater itself does not transmit a tone. I would take the DTCS info out also.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Update for you guys.

I finally got around to changing TSQL to tone and it worked - I could hear the audio.

I'm not sure anyone heard me on the two repeaters listed above.  Will have to try some more.

The change to tone worked on a third repeater and they could hear me on that one once I made the change.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 10:36:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top