Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2020 2:37:23 AM EDT
OK, first of all, before the "you're a dumbass" comments come in...I admit I made a mistake.

Left my batteries in my NVG and left them in the truck....warm, humid weather...yeah, you see where I'm going....

Grab them when out on the ranch for some spotting....don't work.  Change the batteries. Don't work. FK. Swearing didn't help. Still don't work.

Take them back to the cabin...yep, one of the batteries corroded. FK FK FK. Money wasted.  NVG ain't cheap, but I am, so off to the Mr. Fixit Lab.

Steel Wool. Nope.
Gun Cleaner. Nope. More Gun Cleaner. FKG Nope.
Various Bore Brushes. Nope.
Aluminum foil twirled desperately down the tube. FKing Nope.
Fkg pray.  Nope.

Ah, then basic chemistry class kicks in.

White vinegar...just the smallest measuring spoonful - like 1/8 tsp.  Let it sit. Brush it out. Paper Towel is dry.  Yep! Shit, it's like finding that money you were hiding from your wife and then lost and found it again.  Do a fkg victory dance while nobodies lookin'!

Lesson Learned 1: Take the damn batteries out.
Lesson Learned 2: Vinegar can clean off those corroded terminal points.
Lesson Learned 3: Grandma was no dummy, keep that shit stocked.

RW
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 4:03:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 4:17:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 5:46:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Best glass cleaner ever and I’ve tried them all.

16oz water
Tblsp white vinegar
Tvlsp alcohol
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:54:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Or... "How I Learned To Use Lithiums In Important Stuff, Instead Of Those  ^&*$% Dura-Leaks.".

A paste of water and baking soda works well, too, if you have sufficient access to the terminals.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 1:21:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Or... "How I Learned To Use Lithiums In Important Stuff, Instead Of Those  ^&*$% Dura-Leaks.".

A paste of water and baking soda works well, too, if you have sufficient access to the terminals.
View Quote

EXACTLY
Anything of any value gets energizer ultimate lithium batteries.
They don’t leak, they have higher output capacity, and they don’t loose output in cold temperatures.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 5:35:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 5:47:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.  I'd used to use Coppertops in expensive stuff but had them leak too.  Now only the Lithium AAs go in to more pricey flashlights, unless they use rechargables, then Eneloops or 18650s.  The lithiums also stand up to cold much better, and have a 20 year shelf life.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 6:08:29 PM EDT
[#8]
White vinegar has many uses.  A 50/50 mix of white vinegar and blue Dawn dishwashing liquid is the best cleaning solution for tub/shower. Spray it on.  Let it sit for 45 minutes to an hour then rinse. Tub/shower will sparkle and stay that way if you do it once a week.  If the tub/shower is extra dirty or has calcium/rust deposits you may need to give it a little scrub or do it a couple of times to get results.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 2:40:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
White vinegar has many uses.  A 50/50 mix of white vinegar and blue Dawn dishwashing liquid is the best cleaning solution for tub/shower. Spray it on.  Let it sit for 45 minutes to an hour then rinse. Tub/shower will sparkle and stay that way if you do it once a week.  If the tub/shower is extra dirty or has calcium/rust deposits you may need to give it a little scrub or do it a couple of times to get results.
View Quote

Kudos to you for cleaning your shower once a week. I might have try your mixture on my bi-yearly or so shower cleaning regimine.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 3:28:02 AM EDT
[#10]
.... or you could pick up some battery terminal cleaner at your local auto parts store and keep it around the homestead.

I've rescued many a remote control device and household flashlight with the stuff.

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:37:35 AM EDT
[#11]
On a few occasions I've been able to clean battery contacts w/ a pencil eraser.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:27:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 8:42:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This.  I'd used to use Coppertops in expensive stuff but had them leak too.  Now only the Lithium AAs go in to more pricey flashlights, unless they use rechargables, then Eneloops or 18650s.  The lithiums also stand up to cold much better, and have a 20 year shelf life.
View Quote

Same here.  Anything that sits for a while gets Lithium AAs.  

Since they took mercury out of batteries, they leak a lot more.  And it doesn't matter what brand.  Prior to removing mercury, I only had batteries leak once in my lifetime.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:45:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah I use a remote battery box for my nods. Box has two AA on each side and a 3 way switch in the middle for left, off and right.  

I keep the aforementioned energizer lithium in the left side and rechargeable eneloops in the right.  Always run off the rechargeable.  But I test the energizers every time I go out. Been doing that about ten years and no probs.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 11:50:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Hydrogen peroxide has worked for me in the past.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top