Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2018 4:52:58 PM EDT
I drew antlerless archery elk and modern buck deer. Both can be hunted otc but these tags give me better dates. Strangely enough, the buck tag in the unit I drew is good for any whitetail. So if i strike out on a big old timber blacktail during general season the buck tag should be a slamdunk.

What did you guys get?
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 5:03:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Nothing yet. Elk draw is over. Rifle deer draw is coming up. We get to archery hunt deer OTC.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 10:18:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I drew an modern weapon 2nd season Antlered deer tag.  This year it's all I put in for since my Uncle from out of state wanted to put in for a tag.  Next year I will put in for Elk and bear again.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 10:31:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I just drew a deer tag. That's the second year in a row, and has never happened before.  I drew a turkey tag earlier this year, and got him on the opener.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 11:51:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I missed the deadline for the apps.

Just as well since I blew three disks in my neck early March. I am still in an amaizing amount of pain. The thought of throwing a pack on hurts.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 12:00:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I draw an elk/deer/bear/lion/wolf tag every year when I walk up to the counter and buy one

That still won’t help me find one during hunting season though*
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I’ll be doing the OTC bow hunt again this year.  Banking points for a really good unit.   Just had my tag show up today though.

Damn, bow season is coming up fast. 8-25-18, either sex elk.

I’m ready though.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 4:18:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Drew my first Antelope tags in 30 yrs. Have tags for 3 speed goats with the daughter.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 2:15:16 PM EDT
[#8]
We find out August 3rd if we drew any rifle deer tags. Sure to draw buck antelope for a unit we know well.

Archery deer starts 9-1! Already know where I want to be and what I hope to see. If he made it through the winter he should be a very nice deer.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 10:23:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Drew my first Antelope tags in 30 yrs. Have tags for 3 speed goats with the daughter.
View Quote
Nice! Some antelope recently were transplanted here and are doing well.  I look forward to someday getting a tag for one
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 6:06:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I struck out. My wife got an any weapon cow elk tag. I'll be helping her with that and hunting for my OTC mule deer and elk.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 8:55:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Drew a really nice whitetail buck tag.

Mule deer with a bow. Whitetail with a rifle. Gonna be a great Fall.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 10:53:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I didn't draw anything. Put in for deer, elk and antelope.....skunked. Think I'll go back home to Tennessee and hunt with family this year. Makes for a good Thanksgiving.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 11:25:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I didn't draw anything. Put in for deer, elk and antelope.....skunked. Think I'll go back home to Tennessee and hunt with family this year. Makes for a good Thanksgiving.
View Quote
I guess that’s a plan.  I never draw either, 15 points and counting.

But I have put elk in the freezer 17 years hunting OTC units, with a Rifle. The Fucking elk I was dropping at 20-50 yards with a rifle have been elusive with a bow.

I have a rifle cow tag to back up the bow season this year.  Some elk is going in the freezer.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Waiting on my second draw results. Hoping to draw a Sept antlerless muzzleloader elk tag.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#15]
On my "bucket list".  At 47 I got to get movin'.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 11:33:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yeah, go next year.  This is a tough hunt at 59.  Last elk I packed out was brutal, and it was only 1.25 miles to the road, but thru a quarter mile of blowdown and mostly uphill, at 10k’.

I’m not going down in some hell hole, where I could easily kill an elk.

I  watched some guys from Ohio do just that 5 years ago.

All that meat was spoiled by the time they got it out.  And those fuckers were beat down bad when they finally got it all out.

Just go.  It’s not really about the kill anyway.  Well, maybe sorta.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 10:49:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Wife drew an antelope tag, we just got back from filling the tag!

I got a rifle deer tag in a unit our family owns 600 acres on.

We drew rifle hair elk tags for November.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 8:21:03 AM EDT
[#18]
So I have:
West River Any Whitetail Rifle
West River Any Deer Archery
Badlands Any Antelope Rifle
East River Any Deer Archery

Wife has:
West River Doe Whitetail Rifle
West River Any Deer Archery
Badlands Any Antelope Rifle
East River Any Deer Archery

If we fill 50% it will be a success.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 11:08:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wife drew an antelope tag, we just got back from filling the tag!

I got a rifle deer tag in a unit our family owns 600 acres on.

We drew rifle hair elk tags for November.
View Quote
Nice! I drew Hart Mtn Antelope 3 year’s ago. They are a ton of fun to hunt.

Good luck on the elk tag.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 11:14:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Drew a group antelope tag, but it's in some odd area out here.  Oh well still better than going to work for a few days!
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 1:18:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Got lucky and drew a bull moose tag this year
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 10:00:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yeah, go next year.  This is a tough hunt at 59.  Last elk I packed out was brutal, and it was only 1.25 miles to the road, but thru a quarter mile of blowdown and mostly uphill, at 10k’.

I’m not going down in some hell hole, where I could easily kill an elk.

I  watched some guys from Ohio do just that 5 years ago.

All that meat was spoiled by the time they got it out.  And those fuckers were beat down bad when they finally got it all out.

Just go.  It’s not really about the kill anyway.  Well, maybe sorta.
View Quote
@DVCER

Do you hurt solo? I don't find packing one out with a partner to bad can get it all in 2 trips on your own it's a 4 trip suck fest. I've seen people about kill themselves doing stupid stuff like dragging a large cow to the road on a blue tarp.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 10:51:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I've got a leftover 1st season rifle bull elk tag in a decent spot of Colorado, 2 doe/fawn special antelope tags on some beautiful private ranch land in Wyoming, a bow forked antler deer tag for my land, and maybe an over the counter bear tag here in NM if I'm feeling squirrelly. Though that'll probably be a bit much with the family.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:00:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

@DVCER

Do you hurt solo? I don't find packing one out with a partner to bad can get it all in 2 trips on your own it's a 4 trip suck fest. I've seen people about kill themselves doing stupid stuff like dragging a large cow to the road on a blue tarp.
View Quote
Pretty much solo.  I have friends who roll in for the weekends, and this year I invited a new elk hunter into camp for a week.  Out of state guy from Iowa, we hunted hard for most of his week, and I had to go home for a couple days.  He stayed in camp, I told him to go check the hill above camp, somewhere we had not been.  Sure as hell, this bull was up there, and he tagged it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:40:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Holy shit! Wish we could see the look on his face when he walked up to that bull.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:55:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Holy shit! Wish we could see the look on his face when he walked up to that bull.
View Quote
He had never seen an elk till then.  Less than a mile from camp, and close to a road.   The rut has been non existent this year, I have been up there since late August.  I came home for good yesterday, over 110 miles on foot thru the season.  I saw lots of elk, just couldn’t close the deal.   With no rut, you either find a likely area and sit or move as quiet as possible as far as possible.  I did both, found wallows that sat unused for days, then got used once.    So much water in that unit, sitting on any water is a lottery chance of scoring.

I had a great season, even with no meat.  Beautiful weather, beautiful country.

The rut will probably start any day now that bow season is about over.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 12:08:40 PM EDT
[#27]
LOL. Amazing. He must have been blown away.

2020 we can start hunting elk out of state. We have them in the Black Hills here, but tags are challenging to draw.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 2:06:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Pretty much solo.  I have friends who roll in for the weekends, and this year I invited a new elk hunter into camp for a week.  Out of state guy from Iowa, we hunted hard for most of his week, and I had to go home for a couple days.  He stayed in camp, I told him to go check the hill above camp, somewhere we had not been.  Sure as hell, this bull was up there, and he tagged it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/857/628E9156-CC73-4173-AAF7-CD8F3C807C84-678267.JPG
View Quote
Dang that's a beauty I've always hunted 3rd rifle cause I like the snow(when it comes) but next year I'm going to switch to bow my partner will draw his limited tag so I'll be on my own
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 3:01:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Dang that's a beauty I've always hunted 3rd rifle cause I like the snow(when it comes) but next year I'm going to switch to bow my partner will draw his limited tag so I'll be on my own
View Quote
That is a very nice bull for that area.   Usually they don’t get to live that long up there.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 7:18:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Pretty much just bought points for elk, deer and antelope in Colorado. Wil do OTC elk next year.

Put in for 14 different units/hunts here in TX, still pending second draw on four of them and waiting for the mule deer draw.

Luckily I have a few invites to private land. Couldn't afford a lease this year.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 10:53:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
My plan is to hunt an OTC unit by draw in the first season. The success rate is really high for some of those units, the only drawback is not being able to build points.

A friend around here does muzzleloader, draws every other year.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 5:06:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Drew into a 100% draw unit in MT.  Elk/deer combo.  Leave exactly one month from today.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 5:21:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Drew into a 100% draw unit in MT.  Elk/deer combo.  Leave exactly one month from today.
View Quote
Niiiiiice. Antelope season opens next weekend in our unit.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 7:46:08 PM EDT
[#34]
@DVCER

I'm headed out to the Meeker area for the 1st rifle season with 3 other guys. I'm a last minute fill in for one of the party that got sick and had to back out. Anyhow, the hunt is with an outfitter and we will be left on our own at a drop camp. If I see elk, that's great. If I shoot one, even better, but to me it's all about the time outside. I'm told that there are a bunch of lakes and streams in the area and I would like to do some fishing. Any thoughts or pointers? Flyrod or spinning setup? Flies, spinners, poppers? I see you had a flyrod in one pf your pics.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 6:04:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

@DVCER

I'm headed out to the Meeker area for the 1st rifle season with 3 other guys. I'm a last minute fill in for one of the party that got sick and had to back out. Anyhow, the hunt is with an outfitter and we will be left on our own at a drop camp. If I see elk, that's great. If I shoot one, even better, but to me it's all about the time outside. I'm told that there are a bunch of lakes and streams in the area and I would like to do some fishing. Any thoughts or pointers? Flyrod or spinning setup? Flies, spinners, poppers? I see you had a flyrod in one pf your pics.
View Quote
There should be some decent trout fishing up there.  I like a fly rod or a spinning rod.  Something light and packable, the fish usually are not that big.    Small spinners or a bubble with a fly are a good bet with the spinning gear, with a 5 wt fly rod some elk hair caddis and hares ear nymph will work.

You should have a great time, that is a nice area.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 9:30:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Either sex elk tag for first rifle.
Leftover cow 4th rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top