Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2023 12:00:50 PM EDT
What would you recommend? I’m looking for a 50L or so pack that can haul under 30lbs of gear for two or three night trips. If it’s under 2lbs and water proof/resistant, that’d be great.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 2:46:20 PM EDT
[#1]
https://www.crossfirepacks.com/product/slick/?v=24d22e03afb2

not sure what the weight is, but theyre on sale! youll hear nothing but good things from crossfire
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 9:00:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Granite Gear Crown2 60, with the brain removed its 55l and 2.2lb. A little under 2lb if you remove the frame sheet (I wouldn’t.) Handles 30-35lb like a dream, while not waterPROOF it’s VERY water-resistant, the adjustable waist belt fits up to 42” waists, and there are 3 very large mesh pockets. The compression straps are nice and long, the load lifters work great, and the hip belt pockets are attached to the belt so they stay on your hips when you adjust the belt. There’s no mesh trampoline back panel so ventilation isn’t the greatest (the back panel does have ventilation channels), but if you don’t mind a sweaty back it’ll work great. You can find them for $125-$155 just about everywhere.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 7:16:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Phiers:
https://www.crossfirepacks.com/product/slick/?v=24d22e03afb2

not sure what the weight is, but theyre on sale! youll hear nothing but good things from crossfire
View Quote

Looks heavy. I’m looking for something lighter than my kuiu and kifaru packs.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 7:16:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ME2112:
Granite Gear Crown2 60, with the brain removed its 55l and 2.2lb. A little under 2lb if you remove the frame sheet (I wouldn’t.) Handles 30-35lb like a dream, while not waterPROOF it’s VERY water-resistant, the adjustable waist belt fits up to 42” waists, and there are 3 very large mesh pockets. The compression straps are nice and long, the load lifters work great, and the hip belt pockets are attached to the belt so they stay on your hips when you adjust the belt. There’s no mesh trampoline back panel so ventilation isn’t the greatest (the back panel does have ventilation channels), but if you don’t mind a sweaty back it’ll work great. You can find them for $125-$155 just about everywhere.
View Quote

I’ll give that a consideration, thanks!
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 9:10:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I carry a zpacks nero,  its 38L but I added a shoulder strap bag, and i'm not sure if the outside net counts in the 38L but I don't have a problem using it for 2 nights, 3 days 3 season.  If you need bigger they also have a 50L arc haul.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 5:39:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Sticklebackbob:

I’ll give that a consideration, thanks!
View Quote

One thing I like about Granite Gear is they don’t use the same 3 or 4 boring colors like everyone else seems to.

Link Posted: 12/7/2023 4:14:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Hyperlite Mountain Gear
Zpacks
Atompack
Gossamer Gear

Link Posted: 12/7/2023 4:48:19 PM EDT
[#8]
It's been a while since I looked, but the REI branded packs have often been an excellent value when they go on sale.  I've been very happy with the ultralight pack I bought there 8 years ago, though I rarely get to use it as my wife took a liking to it.  I typically end up needing to carry an absurd amount of stuff and use a bigger pack anyways.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 7:54:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Extorris] [#9]
Originally Posted By Loonytik:
Hyperlite Mountain Gear
Zpacks
Atompack
Gossamer Gear
View Quote

I use a HMG Junction, no problems with it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 12:14:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Extorris:

View Quote

What’s the lower back ventilation like?
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 6:34:11 AM EDT
[#11]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

There isn't any.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 9:49:40 PM EDT
[#12]
ULA Ultra Circuit

30 pounds for 2 - 3 days is not lightweight but either the ULA Circuit or Catalyst can handle it fine.
The prices have gone up, shockingly higher then when I bought my Ohm 2.0, Circuit, and Catalyst several years ago.
I've done 7 days including food at 21 pounds. This was with warm clothing for early May on Isle Royale.
Nowadays a comfortable load for 2 - 3 days is around 16 pounds base weight plus food.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 1:54:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PistoleroJesse] [#13]
SeekOutside flight two 52L 2.4lbs.
I have no personal experience but they are well regarded. I think @ROCK6 has some first hand with them.

ETA Link to his take on some brands I was looking at, Seek included.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 4:46:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ROCK6] [#14]
Originally Posted By Terriblis:
ULA Ultra Circuit

30 pounds for 2 - 3 days is not lightweight but either the ULA Circuit or Catalyst can handle it fine.
The prices have gone up, shockingly higher then when I bought my Ohm 2.0, Circuit, and Catalyst several years ago.
I've done 7 days including food at 21 pounds. This was with warm clothing for early May on Isle Royale.
Nowadays a comfortable load for 2 - 3 days is around 16 pounds base weight plus food.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Terriblis:
ULA Ultra Circuit

Yeah, it kind of depends on one's base weight, but I'm good at around 13-14 pounds. Food, water, and fuel is what adds weight. Most of our backpacking is 4-5 days and my "full" pack weight is under 30 pounds (or at least my goal).

My primary trail backpacking pack has been a ULA Curcuit (mine had the multicam added, well, just because). The newer versions are lighter when you get into the Robic, Dyneema, and Ultra fabrics...plus, they're pretty water resistant. The only issue with the Circuit is that you really need to stay under the maximum weight load (35 pounds). The frame isn't designed for heavy loads, and it will feel unbalanced and uncomfortable like a frameless pack.

Their Ultra Ohm is a sub-2lb pack, max load capacity of 30 pounds. For a max load of 30 pounds, I kind of consider that "lightweight", it's when you start getting into the 10lb range for a base load is where you start talking ultralight but you're also talking serious trekking where you sacrifice camp comforts to cut grams for more time spent on the trail.

Originally Posted By PistoleroJesse:
SeekOutside flight two 52L 2.4lbs.
I have no personal experience but they are well regarded. I think @ROCK6 has some first hand with them.

Seek Outside is a solid choice. I actually have their "Flight One", it's pretty decent but the Flight Two looks like it has some good improvements. These are good choice for weights up to 50 pounds (for backpacking, that's pretty heavy!). I also still think their Gila 3500 is one of the more well-rounded packs with a good balance of volume, excellent frame/suspension system, and if you ever feel the need, you can load it up to over 100 pounds and I think the frame/pack is rated to 200 pounds which is pretty damn robust for a 2.4lb pack.

What's your budget?

ROCK6
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 9:36:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Extorris] [#15]
Durston Kakwa 55 is another possible choice.

Originally Posted By ROCK6:
My primary trail backpacking pack has been a ULA Curcuit (mine had the multicam added, well, just because).
View Quote

I bought a Catalyst a few years ago in the multicam.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 9:48:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Durston Kakwa 55 is another possible choice.
I bought a Catalyst a few years ago in the multicam.
View Quote

I was waist deep in my camo transition phase of life

ROCK6
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 3:38:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I really like that atompack. $400 for the way I like the setup. Mine have to pull the trigger on that.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 6:40:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Loonytik:
Hyperlite Mountain Gear
Zpacks
Atompack
Gossamer Gear

View Quote

That's a good list. I've used my GG Mariposa for several years, love that thing, if it fell apart tomorrow I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Good balance of lightweight and comfort.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#19]
https://liteaf.com/product-category/in-stock-packs/

These are worth a look, not quite 50L (46L)
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 2:06:13 AM EDT
[#20]
If you can find them on the secondary market Golite packs are just over a pound.

I have a lifetimes worth from a warehouse sale they held about 16 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 3:25:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Narat_524] [#21]
I’ve used a Zpacks Arc Haul 55L for 6,000 miles of thru-hiking in the last 2 years, about 200 nights of camping before it failed. Max weight I’ve carried was around 45 lbs, normal daily carry weight is roughly 30 lbs. Hip belt pockets (snacks, quick access stuff) and shoulder phone holster recommended.

DEET bug spray will eventually cause any ultralight pack made of dyneema, ultra, epac, or xpac materials to become brittle. Picaridin based bug sprays do not.

“I was an underscore before underscores were ruint!”
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 1:51:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Narat_524:
I’ve used a Zpacks Arc Haul 55L for 6,000 miles of thru-hiking in the last 2 years, about 200 nights of camping before it failed. Max weight I’ve carried was around 45 lbs, normal daily carry weight is roughly 30 lbs. Hip belt pockets (snacks, quick access stuff) and shoulder phone holster recommended.

DEET bug spray will eventually cause any ultralight pack made of dyneema, ultra, epac, or xpac materials to become brittle. Picaridin based bug sprays do not.

“I was an underscore before underscores were ruint!”
View Quote

Do you like the back ventilation?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top