Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2024 9:56:04 AM EDT
I have a little of the medallion stuff and it’s ok but it still smells.  What do you guys recommend to store for lantern fuel that won’t stink the place up.  Thank you
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 10:10:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Also curious about this.  Bought some "odorless" stuff at walmart, and yeah, it's "lessodor" but not "odorless".
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 10:12:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I use that K1 stuff from Home Depot..  I guess my nose isn't that great.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 10:16:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cooper1:
I use that K1 stuff from Home Depot..  I guess my nose isn't that great.
View Quote
I feel like the K1 stuff is probably the cleanest...  
I would not say odor free, but certainly much better than the rest I have tried.

Also I think it depends on the size of the room its in and any drafts or circulation.

Link Posted: 2/8/2024 2:43:49 PM EDT
[#4]
So what is the difference between the Kerosene and stuff labeled “Lamp oil” like the medallion stuff I own
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 8:00:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Come on ar15 survivalists edumucate me
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 2:08:21 PM EDT
[#6]
K1 kerosene for lamp oil and kero heaters, not totally odorless but it's tolerable.

Link Posted: 2/10/2024 2:09:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Search a bit iirc there are several threads on lamp oil
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 2:12:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: John-in-austin] [#8]
Kleen-Heat. Don't buy the various lamp oils, esp the stuff with  citronella in it.  That junk is for outdoor Tiki Torches.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 2:17:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By John-in-austin:
Kleen-Heat. Don't buy the various lamp oils, esp the stuff with  citronella in it.  That junk is for outdoor Tiki Torches.
View Quote

This. Kleen Heat has little to no odor
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 10:54:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I use Ultra Pure lamp oil in my flat wick Dietz lanterns.   It's not as bright as kerosene but doesn't stink either.

Even when burned in my home you can smell a faint odor, but it's not off-putting.

I use Kleen Heat kerosene substitute in my Coleman mantle lantern.    It's better than kerosene, but it definitely puts out a strong odor.     I would not run it indoors unless it were a significant emergency.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:31:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HangfiresGhost] [#11]
Originally Posted By Vdab890:
So what is the difference between the Kerosene and stuff labeled “Lamp oil” like the medallion stuff I own
View Quote

"Lamp oil" is paraffin oil. Designed to be cleaner burning, less odor.

It's all about flash point.

W. T. Kirkman for all things lantern. Here's their page explaining fuels in detail-

https://lanternnet.com/lantern-lamp-fuel/

I get clear K-1 from the pump in my own containers. Beware: a lot of bulk kerosene is dyed red, not good for lamps and heaters. A well burning lantern shouldn't make that much soot and fumes, but everybody's smeller is different.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:48:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreatDane] [#12]
Aladdin lamp oil... Tried it once, won't go back.

That said, LEDs are cheaper, safer, and more reliable. A small-ish solar panel and a USB-C charger is all you need to keep them going indefinitely.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top