Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2018 11:07:40 PM EDT
If you have women in the house, chocolate MUST be kept on hand.

Seriously, it actually does work during that time of the month to reduce "psychological symptoms" associated with that particular cycle.

That is all.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:22:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Is that what you tell your husband?
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 12:26:54 AM EDT
[#2]
OP you are a horrible person for using a click-bait title line, and you should feel bad.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 12:46:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP you are a horrible person for using a click-bait title line, and you should feel bad.
View Quote
Nope, very serious. After actually asking a few women other than my wife, chocolate does in fact treat pms mood swings.

I figured I'd mention this since we ran out of chocolate in the house, and we will be getting more tomorrow.

Need more chocolate in the fridge and tier 2 stashes.

During any kind of scenario, being able to calm hormonal mood swings is important.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 12:55:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Chocolate does to your wife what a margarita does to mine.

Link Posted: 1/31/2018 1:32:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Honey... does this chocolate smell like chloroform?
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 10:13:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is that what you tell your husband?
View Quote
This is not GD.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This is not GD.
View Quote
and your in charge off what exactly?

its a crappy click bait title
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 12:36:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I changed the title.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 1:08:03 PM EDT
[#9]
On hand today.....
20 lbs 73% dark
40 lbs 83% dark
100 lbs raw cocoa butter
30 lbs raw cocoa powder.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 1:22:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
On hand today.....
20 lbs 73% dark
40 lbs 83% dark
100 lbs raw cocoa butter
30 lbs raw cocoa powder.
View Quote
How well does the cocoa butter hold up?

I have about 15 pounds of cocoa powder in the deep SHTF stash in mylar, but I figure I can only make sauce by mixing with sugar.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 1:24:30 PM EDT
[#11]
You know, so many folks talk about silver and gold during a SHTF event. While those may help rebuild AFTER the event, cocoa powder may actually be very valuable as a trading commodity DURING the event.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 2:18:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I have about 15 pounds of cocoa powder in the deep SHTF stash in mylar, but I figure I can only make sauce by mixing with sugar.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
On hand today.....
20 lbs 73% dark
40 lbs 83% dark
100 lbs raw cocoa butter
30 lbs raw cocoa powder.

3-5 years according to the distributor.
Air tight and cool helps.
I go through 30-40 lbs a month but keep 100lbs in the rotation.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 2:19:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

3-5 years according to the distributor.
Air tight and cool helps.
I go through 30-40 lbs a month but keep 100lbs in the rotation.
View Quote
How do you go through 30-40 pounds a month?????

Commercial?
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 2:28:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Dark chocolate, cocoa butter, and cocoa powder are superfoods that you can thrive on unless you add a bunch of sugar then its candy and should be used as a treat only.
erythritol, xylitol, and stevia work great to make your own superfood chocolate nut bars. I have added some chopped jerky and sea salt and nuts to make one hell of a snack but they started to get funky after a year of sitting in a canister sitting on the counter.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 2:36:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Dark chocolate, cocoa butter, and cocoa powder are superfoods that you can thrive on unless you add a bunch of sugar then its candy and should be used as a treat only.
erythritol, xylitol, and stevia work great to make your own superfood chocolate nut bars. I have added some chopped jerky and sea salt and nuts to make one hell of a snack but they started to get funky after a year of sitting in a canister sitting on the counter.
View Quote
Very interesting.

Care to share any recipes?
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 3:43:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How do you go through 30-40 pounds a month?????

Commercial?
View Quote
Sort of I got tired of wanting to store enough food for 25 people but only having 2 people consuming in the rotation so lots of spoilage in fats etc.
So I opened a Nutrition Store so I could buy wholesale and have a bunch of people helping to keep it fresh.
I have some logistical issues of cleaning out the store and moving it if SHTF but I think I will buy a cargo trailer and put some signage on it and leave it on site.
But I will have years of fats, nuts, etc.

ETA it also been profitable which is nice.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 4:25:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
On hand today.....
20 lbs 73% dark
40 lbs 83% dark
100 lbs raw cocoa butter
30 lbs raw cocoa powder.
View Quote
How do you store it?
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 5:31:04 PM EDT
[#18]
One day I was on the porcelain throne and the wifes lady mag was wash on the basin and the cover had some sort of headline of homeopathic relief items for their special time which caught my eye. I guess there is scientific proof that chocolate does relieve some of their "issues" . it did state however that dark chocolates were best. unfortunately the wifey won't touch the stuff. so theres a good 2 days a month where I have to dig in and hunker down.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 8:14:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

How do you store it?
View Quote
I built a large closest that has a window unit in it that keeps it around 55 degrees.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 8:36:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Very interesting.

Care to share any recipes?
View Quote
Using a double boiler
16 oz cocoa butter add it ti top pan and allow it to melt.
12 oz +- Chocolate powder slowly stir it in.
1/2 cup -+ of erythritol. I powder it in a spice grinder to speed up the process as it is slow to dissolve.
Keep stirring and tasting adjusting ingredients to suit taste.
I use silicone molds
Place add ins in mold and pour chocolate.

Eat
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 8:59:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I built a large closest that has a window unit in it that keeps it around 55 degrees.
View Quote
Yeah...window unit is part of my concern, if I lost power here in the summer chocolate would not survive
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 10:45:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yeah...window unit is part of my concern, if I lost power here in the summer chocolate would not survive
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its not that big a deal on dark and cocoa butter its only candy that goes bad.
I had 50 lbs show up in a melted lump this summer after being in a hot truck for a week.
Tasted great.
You can also remelt real chocolate and pour it into molds or add it to your coffee.
I'm not talking about candy but food.

ETA I have 20lbs at the BOL in a deep freeze that may 5 years old that we still eat taste fine.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 1:31:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If you have women in the house, chocolate MUST be kept on hand.

Seriously, it actually does work during that time of the month to reduce "psychological symptoms" associated with that particular cycle.

That is all.
View Quote
We keep chocolate chips [not that Hershey shit] canned with absorbers, and about a year ago I opened one and ate them ALL...

Over abt a 3 month period...

Fine.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 10:54:55 PM EDT
[#24]
We have a couple of those large bars...like 5 pound bars
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 12:07:12 AM EDT
[#25]
I just keep raw coca leaves on hand. A little kerosene and concrete powder and it curbs that time of the month waaaaay better than stupid chocolate. Plus keeps the wife from getting fat like traditional chocalate especially if her ass is eating 40lbs a month. If I had to stock chocolate I'd find a new wife or grow some fucking balls.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 5:04:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Raw coca leaves.. interesting plan
Chocolate is food and is less fattening than oatmeal.
A boring pantry is not something I plan on facing hard times with.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 9:31:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I just keep raw coca leaves on hand. A little kerosene and concrete powder and it curbs that time of the month waaaaay better than stupid chocolate. Plus keeps the wife from getting fat like traditional chocalate especially if her ass is eating 40lbs a month. If I had to stock chocolate I'd find a new wife or grow some fucking balls.
View Quote
This isn't GD.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 8:31:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Do you know how I know you are lying about the leaves?
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 1:31:11 PM EDT
[#29]
I know the original post was likely made half in jest.  However, I too live with a chocoholic.  It gets ugly if there isn't chocolate in the house....

With that said, I will offer the following real advice:  In an amongst your preps, find some ways to squirrel away some special treats and flavors....

I did an extended mission trip in the north eastern jungles of Nicaragua.  While I did indeed miss the food from home, what I missed most was flavor....  I know some people are accustomed to very plain foods.  Granddad was a meat and potatoes guy.  Every damn meal he ever ate was a rehash of the same damned thing:  Some slab of meat, cooked to death, some boiled potatoes and some third vegetable, usually cooked to death.  Salt and pepper were the only "spices" in the house....

Many of us are accustomed to a much more varied diet.  Thanks to modern transportation, we have fresh fruits and veggies all year, imported foods and exposure to a MUCH more varied diet.  Its italian on Tuesday, Thai on Wednesday, Mexican on Thursday, and a honking big steak with fresh veggies on Friday.   Unless you are one of those people who ate like my grandfather, suddenly transitioning to survival food preps and existing on 'plain' really sucks.....

Any variety in the diet is an AMAZING boost to morale.  Drinking water, water and water sucks.  It sucks big.  Having some form of drink crystals to add flavor is really advisable.  And having a collection of spices and other flavorings is huge too.  Instead of rice, rice and rice you can cook it up with a few bouillon cubes and a dash of cumin and a splash of hot sauce and its suddenly half-assed mexi rice.  Is it four star restaurant servings?  No.  But its not damned white rice again....

Spices.  Drink crystals.  Hard candies.  Jams and jellies (turn your bannock and fry bread into something different). Hot sauces.  dried fruits.   And yes, chocolate.  And oddly enough, these things can become great trade items too....  Most of them store quite easily, and aren't expensive to set aside..

I've done my fair share of fly-in moose hunting trips in northern quebec.  Nice trips.  Due to weight restrictions, food planning can be a bear.  We use mostly dry foods, and add filtered water from the lake on site.  Pastas, rices, dry soups, etc.  The 'best' items in the food box usually end up being the drink crystals (or Mio -type squirt bottles of flavor), hot sauces, and other flavors we can add to foods to vary the taste and suit personal preference.  And this is only a week to ten days off-grid....

Fro
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 5:36:39 PM EDT
[#30]
I've got chocolate that is decades old.

I've also got kilo bars of chocolate.  When I was returning home from Peru, their customs person opened my knapsack expecting a huge drug bust.  A big smile grew across his face when he realized I was hauling chocolate.  What I couldn't bring back was the Cocoa nut itself.  It would have been fun to roast and make my own chocolate (saw it done at Colonial Williamsburg).
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 6:20:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Only stuff I keep is a few bars of 90+% . 70% or higher.
Keep them in the freezer.

Now... peanut butter cups...coffee crisp....gotta be hid. Lol.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:45:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Bingo! That is why I rotate a healthy stash of my wife's favorite (Swedish Fish) in our preps.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 3:15:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Will chocolate bars or candy bars (Snickers and Reece's cups) store well if tossed in the deep freeze in their original packaging?

I can definitely see treats as a morale boost in rough times, especially for the kiddos.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top