Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2022 4:55:27 PM EDT
It gets hot and cold here in Winter.  Wondering what kind of pants y’all use when hiking or backpacking.  In example I normally have waterproof boots, wool socks, cotton or synthetic pants, a gortex rain coat, and a hat.  The rain drips off my jacket onto my legs.  

Suggestions for better setup or gear?  I was thinking about getting some gortex pants but I want my legs to be able to breath in warm weather.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 5:49:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ME2112] [#1]
I use Outdoor Research Foray pants, the 3/4-length side zippers let you open them from the top for great ventilation. Even closed up they breathe well. I also have Black Diamond StormLine full-zip pants, they’re lighter and breathe maybe a little better but are harder to zip down for ventilation because there are only snaps holding them together at the waist.

Elastic & drawstring pull-on rain pants are fine for warmer weather, but in winter & snow I like “real” pants with no insulation, snap/button waistband, zipper fly, at least 2 pockets, and 3/4 zippers. I’m not going to be putting them on and taking them off on the trail, the side zippers are just for ventilation. Right now I mostly wear some 10+ year old Cabela’s Dry Plus pants that are beat to fuck and have more patches and seam sealer than original fabric, but I’ve looked and looked and almost nobody seems to make pants like these any more. I did order a pair of Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS) Squall pants that meet most of those criteria, they just arrived today so I’ll give them a workout. I also found a pair of my old Cabela’s pants on eBay, and those just arrived today as well. But just about everything else seems to be ski/snowboard pants that are too expensive and not really cut for walking. Mountaineering pants would work but are also crazy expensive.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 6:20:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Was hunting during a low 40s rainstorm, decided to try the new Sitka rain suit I got discounted from Sierra Trading Post. Thing is, the hike to the spot was through some thick stuff. Those Sitka rain pants are not so waterproof anymore.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 7:14:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shreddingaxes] [#3]
My favorite pants for pretty much anything are the Rig Light Backcountry pants from Beyond Clothing. I’ve worn them from well below zero up to 90+ degrees. They’re a little warm once it gets hot, like any pants, but you can zip open the pockets for ventilation. They make a Rig ULT pant for hot weather that are what I wear mostly when I’m working in eastern NC during summer. The ULTs are the same material, but a lot thinner. They’re expensive, but they run pretty decent sales on them often. If you’re not looking to spend that kind of coin, they have imported equivalents that are 80% as good for a lot less money.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 3:26:53 AM EDT
[#4]
If it's warm enough, or your exertion is high enough, shorts and non-waterproof trail running shoes will be ok.  At least while you're moving.

If it's cold enough, or you aren't moving fast enough to keep your legs warm, some simple waterproof-breathable pants like the Marmot Precip will work.  They are a 2.5 layer WPB product, and they'll wear from the inside out faster than a 3 layer product, but they're inexpensive enough that I'm not too bothered by their disposable nature - in 2 or 3 seasons, they can have a lot of membrane wear, but legs being high heat generating parts of you body, water intruding from these wear points can evaporate through physical exertion.  A more expensive 3 layer product will cost more, but they will last longer.  They'll also tend to be a bit heavier.

Even with WPB pants, you still risk the problem of water running from the cuffs and into your shoes if you are out long enough or covering a lot of ground.  Mid-height or full-height boots can prevent this.  If you are in low tops, some WPB socks such as those made by ShowerPass can help keep your feet drier and warmer.

Prolonged periods of rain or shoulder season type weather with cold rain, but not cold enough for snow can be really challenging, and quite miserable.  Summer and winter can be easier.  Colder, but not cold enough to really be winter is a challenge.

Flexibility is paramount if you are going to be out on the trail for a fair spell.  Being able to shed long pants and just hike in boxers with full-zip WPB pants isn't a bad idea.  Shell pants can run rather hot depending on conditions or how fast you are moving.  Shedding a layer under form under the shell pants can help you from overheating and getting wet from the inside out.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I read a few reviews and watched some YouTube channels.  A couple videos mentioned how the DWR finish on jackets and pants would wear off and needed to be replaced.  The DWR seemed to be the key to getting the water to bead up and roll off to prevent saturation.  

Not sure the Pricier name brand pants are in my budget.  I might just try to DWR some of my hiking pants for warmer weather.  Anyone ever get some milsurp gortex pants?
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 7:06:03 PM EDT
[#6]
DWR treatments aren't a solution.  They compliment a WPB garment, but in the end, you need something with a waterproof membrane.  Invariably, DWR treatments wear out all too soon.  They're cool for about one day, and then reality sets in.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 8:42:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By brain3278:
Not sure the Pricier name brand pants are in my budget.  I might just try to DWR some of my hiking pants for warmer weather.  Anyone ever get some milsurp gortex pants?
View Quote

Store brands like REI or EMS will cost quite a bit less than the brand names and give almost equivalent performance. As far as ECWCS pants, I seem to remember them having pass-through front pockets which can let water in, and no other pockets. My DCU ECWCS pants are this way. The milsurp pants are rugged but you do not want to have to carry them.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 12:19:40 PM EDT
[#8]
For as seldom as rain/snow pants are used, this is definitely one thing where low volume and weight pays dividends in the long run.  The milsurp pants, while durable, will probably have twice the bulk of comparable civi stuff, maybe three times the bulk of the lighter-duty civi stuff..
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 12:44:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I think full-zip, 7/8 or 3/4 zip are the way the go.  The full-zip are the easiest to put on, never even needing to take a single foot off the ground, but the 3/4 and 7/8 zip pants tend to vent better, as they tend to have 3 zipper sliders: one that goes all the way to the cuff, and two that tend to stay higher up around the hip/thighs that can be opened for ventilation, conditions permitting.

A lot of shell pants will have ankle or calf-length zips.  Some will have those, in conjunction with a separate thigh zip for ventilation.  My problem with these is that they tend to be once-on, stay-on, over my base layer, and I typically run far too hot for that, even in northern winters.   Heavy boots, crampons, muddy shoes - the ankle / calf-zip pants, while only presenting a problem for like a minute to get them on, that really is enough for me to look for longer zip pants.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 7:24:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Good info.  Thank you!
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 6:29:16 PM EDT
[#11]
There’s no one solution that is going to work well in hot and cold weather. Above 60 or so any hiking you’re going to sweat so much in goretex pants that you might as well just get soaked by the rain. It’s also not a safety issue at those temperatures to be wet.

For warmer weather the Kuhl Renegade and Silencer pants are really nice water resistant hike pant. It will keep you dry in anything but a downpour and is comfortable in temps below 80 or so for me. Above that I’m wearing shorts and don’t care if I get wet. Below 50 my favorite winter hike pant is the Kuhl Klash, it has a DWR coating and much closer to waterproof than resistant but after a downpour for 15 minutes or more your going to be wet. They’re fine for several hours in a light rain however and are very wind resistant too. My favorite winter hike pants but you’re going to sweat your nuts off above 60 in them.

For heavy rain in the cold you really just need a goretex shell to wear other top of everything. Arcteryx Alpha and Beta lines are excellent.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 7:09:52 PM EDT
[#12]
In the winter I wear Northbound Gears adventure pants. Usually they're good enough by themselves for any local winter hiking conditions, but I can add on a base layer if I need one.

https://northboundgear.co/collections/shop-now
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 5:45:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a pair of Mountain Hardwear Stretch Ozonic pants.  2.5 layer with some stretch.  They are pretty nice and comfortable.  Light too.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Stay away from cotton...
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 9:25:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GlutealCleft] [#15]
Originally Posted By L_JE:
Prolonged periods of rain or shoulder season type weather with cold rain, but not cold enough for snow can be really challenging, and quite miserable.  
View Quote

So, a few years back, on an ATV camping trip.  Full day of riding in cold weather and pouring rain at high altitude, with wind blowing over us and no exertion to produce heat.  My buddy with expensive name-brand breathable "waterproof" pants and jacket was wetted out and miserable... I was dry and warm the entire time.  My secret?  A $25 set of Compass rain-gear, similar to Frog-Togs.

They aren't glamorous, but they're freaking effective.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 9:41:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Since my ancestors hailed from Scotland and I wear shorts almost everyday of the year even when it snows. I've always just worn a waterproof coat or poncho long enough to go to my knees, waterproof boots (its the PNW, we always wear waterproof boots) and shorts. If my torso and my feet stay dry and warm enough, the rest doesn't matter. Besides in the rain, the mosquitos don't come out, mostly.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 9:00:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Military goretex (maybe commercial too?) doesn’t actually keep you dry long term. Eventually the water gets in after a few hours.

Actual impermeable material like trash bags keep the water out, but you still end up wet from your own sweat after a while.

Either way, you’re going to get wet.

A poncho over you+ruck will keep most of the rain out, which will let something like goretex do well.

I’ve had good luck with the low end rain gear that’s more like trash bags than goretex. I also wear it as a wind breaker with lighter clothes under. The stuff I got from Rural King (house brand) has held up very well getting snagged on thorns tromping brush. I tend to get wet from sweat before the rain gets in. Even sitting on a soaked pad in a tree stand for a few hours, my butt will be cold, but dry.

When it’s actually hot out, summer rain, I’d almost rather be wet. Let the rain cool me down. I’m probably going to be soaked in sweat already anyway, so it’s like a free shower.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 10:05:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By GlutealCleft:

So, a few years back, on an ATV camping trip.  Full day of riding in cold weather and pouring rain at high altitude, with wind blowing over us and no exertion to produce heat.  My buddy with expensive name-brand breathable "waterproof" pants and jacket was wetted out and miserable... I was dry and warm the entire time.  My secret?  A $25 set of Compass rain-gear, similar to Frog-Togs.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GlutealCleft:
Originally Posted By L_JE:
Prolonged periods of rain or shoulder season type weather with cold rain, but not cold enough for snow can be really challenging, and quite miserable.  

Those Bibler-type ptfe membranes and backing fabric tend to do quite well in conditions where more streamlined membranes/backers will start to get clammy, drippy.  The downside is bulk, probably some weight, too.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 3:42:01 PM EDT
[#19]
There are a number of good recommendations for rain pants in this thread so here are some other things to consider.  

First, the nature of shell garments.  Rain pants tend to be restrictive and hot.  If you need to scramble rocks or over downfallen trees, they are a pain.  Depending on ventilation, body heat builds up quickly.  It can become a walking sauna, soaking clothing as much as the rain that you are trying to avoid.  Also, the "waterproof-breathable" fabrics work only as long as the water repellant on the outer surface can prevent the material from becoming saturated.  The concept is that micropores in in the fabric permit moisture in vapor form to pass through, but they are too small for water in a liquid form to penetrate.  If the outer layer becomes saturated, the vapor cannot pass through and is trapped inside.  Perspiration condenses on the interior leaving you feeling cold and wet. At best, a shell garment cannot keep up with perspiration buildup if you are moving strenuously.  The real value of any shell garment is to protect you from radiative and convective heat loss:  it will keep you warm, not dry.

With that in mind, shells are best in spring and fall with colder and wetter conditions.  Also, in alpine areas where you are directly exposed to wind and precipitation.  Ridges in the Cascade and Rocky Mountains are good examples. During summer months, or in areas of thick tree cover, it is less of an issue.  In the east, hiking through the "green tunnel" of the Appalachian Trail or the Vermont Long Trail, the overhanging canopy of trees provides good cover.  

In general, combining wet, windy conditions and strenuous activities, you are going to get soaked.  Shells will help to keep you warm.  

Link Posted: 7/9/2023 8:33:01 PM EDT
[#20]
In the summer I wear the convertible REI Sahara's. Settled on them after trying multiple other brands. In the rain in the summer I generally dont stop to put on rain gear
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 9:56:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Unless it's really cold I will just wear whatever pants I normally hike in. You are going to heat up when walking and don't want to start sweating. I wore an ultra light set of thermals last year when we were bird hunting in South Dakota and the temperature was between 29 and 35degs. I never got cold other than my hands. You don't have a lot of options when it's raining. I have a set of OR gortex pants that I carry when hiking and a set of KUIU when I'm hunting. The OR are much lighter and pack down really small.
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 6:12:08 AM EDT
[#22]
For warm weather/rain, Rip stop nylon OG107/lightweight BDUs trousers for moving.  Yes, I'll get wet but they dry out quickly.  Colt weather/rain, same pants but with lightweight prolypro skins under.  Same thing above.  When stopping for the day, then change into something dry.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 12:20:53 AM EDT
[#23]
For anything under 80 I wear Arcteryx gamma pants which are a soft shell. Crazy comfortable, durable, and the DWR is extremely good. If it’s absolutely pouring rain they won’t keep rain out forever, but even in very constant, day long light to medium rain it’s never really been an issue. I have hard shell bottoms but I never would actually use them so I generally have stopped carrying them. If it’s much warmer than that, I’ll wear lighter pants and just assume I’ll have enough sun at some point to dry out.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 6:06:33 PM EDT
[#24]
It depends on the temps. If it's sleet, I have a pair of Shower's Pass eVent pants that are the bees knees. Anything over 45F though with moderate hiking and they're too hot. In that case I have a few pairs of higher end (can't remember the brand off hand) with Schoeller fabric. They are super awesome, but work best with a DWR. They are very durable and stay waterproof pretty much no matter what, but without the DWR they will absorb some water and get heavier.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 9:00:24 AM EDT
[#25]
I hike in shorts.  I also have changed from gortex boots to trail runners.   I've never found any clothing that would keep me dry during rain yet let me sweat.  I ether get wet from the rain or from sweat.    This way I can at least dry out quicker and carry less.

If you aren't hiking enough to sweat,  then anything will work,  get a garbage bag poncho
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top