Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2018 9:15:14 PM EDT
I have 100 lbs of dry pinto beans that have been in the plastic bags from Costco for almost 10 years.

Can they go bad/stale?  
I've thought about trying to cook some, sprout and eat them, or hanging onto them to feed the neighbors if tshtf.

I'm starting to go through some old preps, and replace what I think needs to be.  New dry goods are going in buckets in Mylar with o² absorbers.

What do you folks think?
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:22:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Just like ammo. Stack it deep.

If they are dry your gtg
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:24:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I would think if they didn't get wet and sealed, should be ok. If you open them, how do they look and smell.

I would make a batch with ham or something simple and see how they taste.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#3]
All of the above.
I also have been grinding up old grains and feeding it to my chickens.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:58:51 PM EDT
[#4]
they'll just need a longer soak time.  Otherwise, unless full of critters or crud, they keep a very long time.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:00:59 PM EDT
[#5]
as long as they are dry and clean with no mold still edible but will take a lot longer soak and cooking time.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:30:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Fill orphaned tube Sox and use as shooting bags/rests.
Made some out of old questionable rice. Worked well and are disposable.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:35:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Slingshot ammo
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:29:16 AM EDT
[#8]
If I were you I’d go get a ham hock or 2. Make some ham and beans.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:59:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Plant a batch.. Ya might get a decent crop!
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:18:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
That's kind of what I was thinking.  I was just going to sprout them and eat the sprouts.

Thanks for the help, I'll probably end up doing some combination of these things.

A couple bags of beans as a "dummy wallet" or food that I could give to others probably wouldn't be a bad thing.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 8:53:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just did this.
Planted seed beans.
Tossed half a bag of old beans through out the planted area...
Done it black beans few years back as well.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 5:17:09 PM EDT
[#12]
if they are bad they make good fertilizer, otherwise soak and boil and soak some more, then pressure cook.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 2:30:48 AM EDT
[#13]
They'd have to be pretty old to not be salvageable with a pressure cooker.

One approach would be to pressure cook them for a while, stop and blend in some fresh beans, and then finish the entire batch by pressure cooking them for the standard length of time.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 6:58:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Cook some and see how they taste, I have some beans sealed in mylar bags that are ten years old.
They should be fine unless the bag is open and they get wet or mice/bugs get to them.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 5:17:20 PM EDT
[#15]
As mentioned already, pressure cooker can bring ancient beans back to life long as they were kept dry.

Some folks also grind em into flour and use that to thicken up soups and stews and stuff.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 5:36:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I have also had good luck pressure cooking them (ones about 5 years old).  The manual for my Presto cooker says 3-6 minutes for pintos; I do them for 12 (fresh beans) or 15 min (old beans).  Cooking them at a normal boiling temperature, the old ones never softened and were not fun to eat.

Utah State has a PDF that describes another method for cooking with old beans:

Cooking with Dry Beans

Freeze after cooking--it worked...once.  The second time I tried it did not.  Others suggest putting some baking soda in the soaking water but that did not help for me.  Pressure cooking is reliable for making them tender, but I found that some have an off flavor: a slight bitterness.  They're still decent, however.

I think this problem will impact even beans stored out of the light in an oxygen-free environment eventually.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#17]
From the  Survival and Preparedness Forum

Famine Chow

Here's an Idea:
I got the opportunity to ride along with a relief convoy in Somalia a few years ago. They were engaged in a feeding program and the convoy carried tons of CSB (Corn Soy Blend). For those of you not familiar with feeding programs, the NGOs try to feed people from locally purchased foods (a custom "food basket" that the people of the region are familiar with and will find acceptable.) When this is not possible, they carry their own food, often in the form of CSB or WSB.

CSB and WSB (Corn Soy Blend and Wheat Soy Blend) are pre-packaged foods that come in large paper sacks. They are pre-cooked and all you have to do is mix them with clean water to make a meal. This is the porriage you see on fund raising programs about hunger and I admit it looks terrible. But I tried it in Somalia and found it quite good. The only way to describe the flavor is "foody". It's a very wholesome, filling and nutritious way to use storage foods.

This mixture is great for you. It has lots of complete protein and enough fats and sugar to keep children from losing weight (which is a problem on whole grain diets). Besides, it's easy to make from storage foods you probably already have and were wondering how to prepare. While the pre-cooked famine-chow is not very shelf stable, the ingredients are all things we store already. If you add a multivitamin, you can live on "famine chow" indefinitely.

To make your own:
50% by volume ground wheat, corn, barley or any other grain.
30% by volume ground beans, peas, soybeans, lentils or other legumes
10% by volume vegetable oil of any kind
10% by volume sugar, honey, molasses or other sweetener
Salt to taste.

To prepare it as a porridge (which tastes great as a breakfast cereal), Simply stir this mixture into twice as much (by volume) boiling water and cover it for 15 minutes or so to let it finish cooking (it will stick to the pot, unless you remove it from the fire, but try to keep it hot enough to finish cooking).

You can prepare it as a bread just as easily by using less water and adding a little powdered milk and maybe some powdered eggs. I make lots of quick breads, like raisin bread or zucchini bread with WSB and they are simply wonderful. It also makes a unique and great tasting yeast bread. CSB makes the best cornbread you have ever tried. Just use your normal recipe and substitute CSB for the corn meal.

I used to carry about 10 pounds of this mix and some baking powder, milk powder and sugar on camping trips. It cut down on my food bill tremendously. It makes great breading for fried fish. I used to make up a dutch oven load of biscuits in the morning and carry them with me as a quick, easy lunch and then in the evening, I made muffins with raisins and cinnamon for an evening snack. As long as you have a sack full of famine chow, you won't ever go hungry.

Once (as a joke) I made up a big bowl of it out of dried peas and cornmeal to bring to a party. The resulting slop looked very much like guacamole. The hostess put my bowl (unsuspecting) on the "chips and dips" table. I watched closely to see everyone's reaction. As the guests tasted it, you could see the shock on their face (it didn't taste anything like they expected). Every single one of them tried a second and third bite and several of them asked for the recipe. The hostess ended the evening sitting with the bowl in her lap eating it with a spoon.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 4:16:43 PM EDT
[#18]
That sounds great!
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 4:29:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Others suggest putting some baking soda in the soaking water but that did not help for me.
View Quote
Dad used to own an old book that was solely about the many uses for TSP.

One of them was - (you guessed it!) - soaking beans.

I'm not even sure where you'd find TSP nowadays...
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Soak overnight and then pressure cook when you want to eat them.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top