BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2024 12:34:41 AM EDT
Title says it all/  oh and where to get it? Thanks
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 4:13:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 5:05:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Radiacode is up to model 103 now. Nice if you want to identify gamma emitting radioactive isotopes.

There is also the BetterGeiger S-1, also good for gammas. Unlike the Radiacode it doesn't do gamma spectrum out of the box, but it's also way cheaper.

If you want to look for radioactive contamination, you probably want a survey meter that can detect alpha, beta, and gamma. There's a lot of cheap meters that can do beta and gamma, such as most of the GQ series. You have to go somewhat higher end to get alpha capability since it requires a thin wall tube or pancake tube. They're also more fragile than other types of detectors.

I find the beta/gamma detectors are fine for looking for most radioactive things in antique stores or old storage closets. If I could justify the expense for what is essentially a fancy gadget toy, I would get an alpha capable Gamma Scout, SE Monitor 200, or Mazur 9000. All of them are in the 500 to 800 range.

it all comes back to what do you want to detect, and why. Make beepy noises and flash for common radioactive stuff, actual dosimetry, site surveying for a governmental organization, continuous environmental monitoring, checking for radioactive contamination after an accident, or to know how fast you're going to die if you survive a nuclear war first strike.

Link Posted: 1/28/2024 9:45:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Survival Lily did a test on her YouTube channel.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 9:12:55 PM EDT
[#4]
https://www.gqelectronicsllc.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=5631

$125'ish I think I paid $158 for mine in 2022. I chatted with a member around here and went with it. I take it out, play with it and charge it every 6 months of so. Probably better ways to spend money but it is peace of mind to be able to see radiation.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 3:43:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I found a LUDLUM MEASUREMEBTS INC. MODEL19 micro meter
It measures in micro rads per hour
As you can tell I’m a newbie at all this I don’t know what rays it measures
Alpha,Bata or Gama
Is this what I seek to tell if there is radio contamination from a nuclear blast??
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 3:55:52 PM EDT
[#6]
That Ludlum is much better than the imported stuff sold online. More robust, more sensitive, faster, more adjustable, more accurate and repairable if your can break it. The probe is what detects the different flavors. If it’s not obvious I’m no expert in counters. You don’t have to be to see the difference in the GMC vs Ludlum.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 5:08:24 PM EDT
[#7]
The guy had 2 more that didn't work.

Is there anyone that can repair them??. thanks
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 12:04:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought a Radex one pre-russia invasion for around $100 off amazon.

it works well as a dosimeter and constant monitoring for hot spots. Has a USB interface as well to export the data into a graph, programmable thresholds, and works off one AAA.
the housing is a pretty thin plastic but seems to be doing well. I keep it in a small padded pouch.

the price went up to $250 on amazon after all the russia war stuff.

Radex one

I also have a couple of the civil defense dosimeters and charger.

They still work well for what they are but wont give you any live current feedback, just tracks total exposure.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 3:37:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jvm:
The guy had 2 more that didn't work.

Is there anyone that can repair them??. thanks
View Quote

I’d call before buying and ask their advice.

LMI
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:46:37 PM EDT
[#10]
As mentioned it depends on what you're going to do with it. Are you planning to check your food off it's safe before you eat it? Radicode. Are you planning on using it for escape / survey? Get a Mirion / Canberra Ultraradiac they are pure gamma detectors and are used by DHA / GOVT / EMS and .mil. it's also EMP hardened.

You can get them cheap on eBay. For the most part as long as they don't give you an error they never really need calibration, but can be verified.

You can also buy them directly from Mirion as well, but they are not cheap new, about $1500 I think

I bought a brand new Accurad from them a few years ago. It's supposed to be the new replacement for the Ultraradiac, but they still make and sell those as well.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:22:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burncycle] [#11]
I'm interested in:

1) Is it safe to be here?
2) How much have I been dosed so far?
3) Can I ingest this?

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:33:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jvm] [#12]
Originally Posted By Burncycle:
I'm interested in:

1) Is it safe to be here?
2) How much have I been dosed so far?
3) Can I ingest this?

View Quote

Yes all of the above
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 2:40:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Burncycle] [#13]
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:21:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone try better Geiger?

https://www.bettergeiger.com/thedetector

I may pick up one and the test material to give it a try.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:46:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Borscht:
https://www.gqelectronicsllc.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=5631

$125'ish I think I paid $158 for mine in 2022. I chatted with a member around here and went with it. I take it out, play with it and charge it every 6 months of so. Probably better ways to spend money but it is peace of mind to be able to see radiation.
View Quote

This is the one I have…….super easy to use, love it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top