Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2022 10:23:04 PM EDT
10/22 with iron sights right now.

Walking public land for rabbits and squirrels.

Traditional scope?  

Red dot?

Traditionally several standing shots at moving rabbits.

What do I need?
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 12:53:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: smoores01] [#1]
When I used to use my 22, I went with a variable rimfire scope for versatility since a red dot can be quite limited to range however, I never took any moving shots. Nowadays, I just use a shotgun loaded with high brass birdshot which I find much easier to track if the squirrels start running.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't take my word for it but I've actually heard good things about the bugbuster scope for a .22 LR.
https://www.amazon.com/UTG-3-9X32-BugBuster-Scope-Mil-dot/dp/B005UGIMNQ
But there's the Leupold option too.
https://www.amazon.com/Leupold-MOA-VX-Freedom-1-5-4x20mm-Riflescope/dp/B08QSMV9HT
Or middle of the road Vortex also.
Vortex rimfire
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 11:10:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I like my TCR22 (10/22 clone type), with the VX-freedom 1.5-4x.

Had it for two years now. Holds zero, takes adjustment for ammo change, clear and bright. Turrets could have stiffer clicks.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 5:57:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I've always just used a shotgun for rabbit and squirrel. BUT, if I were going to use a rimfire I'd get a traditional scope over a red dot and limit my shots to stationary targets.

A variable power scope will let target head shots but will be hard to use on running shots.

Most rabbits seem to only run a little way if you flush them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top