Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2023 5:59:34 PM EDT
To you hunters out there, what muzzle devices do you use on bolt gun hunting rifles? I usually hunt with my savage model 10TR, which has a heavy barrel, and I attach my Saker762 to it. I picked up a cheap savage axis 308 SR that I wouldn’t care about getting beat up, and it’s got a medium taper threaded barrel. I added a SiCo flash hider for attaching my suppressor to it, but honestly the weight of the suppressor would throw of the balance because the stock is cheap AF. Should I just buy an A2 flash hider and be done with it? Just looking to see what others do so I can copy it
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 6:21:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't see the need for a (non-NFA) muzzle device on my hunting rifles. I went direct thread for my 30 caliber and 22LR cans. If I'm not shooting suppressed, I use a thread protector just in case.

However, I could see where it might be different for hog hunting with an AR or if you're shooting prone at prairie dogs and don't want to kick up dust.

Link Posted: 11/14/2023 7:10:29 PM EDT
[#2]
It’s for a deer gun. I’ll shoot a hog or a coyote that pops out, but primarily deer. I have an AR10 I’ve hunted with, not a fan though because it’s so bulky
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 9:24:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't have any muzzle devices on any of my hunting rifles. When Ruger introduced the 450 Bushmaster they offered it in a 16 inch barrel with a muzzle brake.  My friends soon found out firing this cannon from a box blind was devastatingly loud. Even with earplugs.

I ordered a Ruger American with a 22-in barrel that seems to be much quieter.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 1:27:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I don’t use any muzzle devices on any of my hunting rifles, except for my .243 and that is because it is suppressed.
Maybe, I would consider an A2 if I was going to be shooting prone, but….. other than my .243, nothing has a threaded barrel.
I do some dangerous gas hunting in Africa, and while a lot of people are tempted to put muzzle breaks on their DG rifles, it is discouraged.

Sometimes a guide may need to take a VERY quick follow on shot, and the don’t want anything to mess up their sight picture.
I have never needed one to do so, but once we actually planned on double tapping a hippo at 7 yards. We did not want a water recover at night in croc water.

Didn’t happen though, we were in thick brush and all of a sudden we realized we had lost track of the other two hippos and GTFO
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 4:05:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m asking because I’m trying to tame the recoil on a Savage axis. I’m very used to 308, it’s just the crappy stock makes it snappy. My other option is just putting a Boyd’s stock on it, but I would rather just put something on the muzzle. It has a SilencerCo flash hider for my Saker, but the heavy barrel makes it crazy front heavy.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 4:27:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Can
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 9:42:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MonkeyGrip:
Can
View Quote

Wow thanks for the suggestion and not reading my post.
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I read the original post. I would suggest a lighter can, the saker is a good can, also a heavy duty can that's made for a high firing schedule. Look into the rugged alaskan (alaskan ti if you really want it light), griffin explorr, silencerco scythe I think is their new light one. I don't think a 7.62 has nearly enough recoil to justify the increase in noise from a brake and I don't know how much good a flash hider would do unless you just want it for cool points.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 6:15:56 PM EDT
[#9]
We ran a Tranquilo on my sons Tikka T3. It was very muzzle heavy. But it shot really well. I replaced it with a can that was half the weight and it is still a little front heavy but much better. I will take front heavy over ear damage any day.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Model 7 with a SilencerCo ASR Flash hider. Everytime I hunted thisn year I had my Omega attached to it. If you're going to have a muzzle device it might as well be useful.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 6:49:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Switch out the stock and then run a can would be my suggestion. Or, as noted, simply find a Ti can that won’t throw off the balance as much. You could also try adding some weight to the stock for balance purposes too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top