Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:33:22 PM EDT
[#1]
We are getting 4$ a dozen right now in Jax.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:19:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#2]
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 1:04:29 AM EDT
[#3]
$8 per dozen here.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:04:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ndenway1twicetimes:

Around here that's what us old rural hands do when our livestock is being attacked,

course it's legal in all 77 counties in Oklahoma to kill any animal going after your livestock and if it's a domestic dog/pet, then said dogs/pet owner is responsible for vet bills or replacement/market value of said damaged/dead livestock,

course you got to get Leo's whether local pd or sheriff dept involved to come out file reports etc, vet bills etc and you take lots of pics of damaged/dead livestock cause most times if it's more than a few hundred bucks you end up having to take the dogs/pet owner to court to recoup funds for your damaged/dead livestock.

I figure the owner of the 20 dead laying hens is due about 400 bucks minimum to replace full grown layer's in their prime.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:
3 to 5 bucks a dozen in my area.

Most chickens around here are penned up, only free range chickens are the ones whose owners got time to sit a watch/guard them, too many dogs, coyotes, foxes, bobcats, coons, possums, red tails, falcons and few eagles get any easy meals they can.

Few days ago bout 1/4 mile from me some newbie townies that moved out "rural" few years back lost 20 hens to a neighborhood husky that easily dug under their new pen/coop.

Dogs are the worst and most frequent chicken killers here.

Dogs are hard to kill.  We know this first hand.

(I am part of the SemperFi Legacy Dog Rescue that runs here on Arfcom.  Nobody better say anything about us having to shoot a dog. It is horrible. )

Around here that's what us old rural hands do when our livestock is being attacked,

course it's legal in all 77 counties in Oklahoma to kill any animal going after your livestock and if it's a domestic dog/pet, then said dogs/pet owner is responsible for vet bills or replacement/market value of said damaged/dead livestock,

course you got to get Leo's whether local pd or sheriff dept involved to come out file reports etc, vet bills etc and you take lots of pics of damaged/dead livestock cause most times if it's more than a few hundred bucks you end up having to take the dogs/pet owner to court to recoup funds for your damaged/dead livestock.

I figure the owner of the 20 dead laying hens is due about 400 bucks minimum to replace full grown layer's in their prime.

That's only fair.  In many places, when it comes to livestock theft or damage, the punishment was capital.  Messing with a man's livelihood and his ability to feed his family should have severe consequences.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 4:43:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Undaunted] [#5]

Good for you!

She will be a much stronger girl, and a stronger woman, based on her time with you.

(Dear God, the world needs some strong women.)
View Quote

I'm doing my part where I can Kitties! That said, 7 of my 9 local kids, nephews and nieces are boys!
Attachment Attached File

Stronk!
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 4:46:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Positronic:
$8 per dozen here.
View Quote

Nice to see someone else getting $8ish. So many responses seem so low for the effort involved. I'm sure many of the buyers are friends.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 5:30:29 PM EDT
[#7]
depends in our AO.  The ones in fancy packaging at the store, $8.  that is for the good free range.

Bought from local farms, $5.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 11:13:59 AM EDT
[#8]
FYI to everyone, if you don't have a state listed in your profile, your post/information is pretty useless. JMHO
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 11:06:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By DeanQ:
FYI to everyone, if you don't have a state listed in your profile, your post/information is pretty useless. JMHO
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:24:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#10]
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 10:26:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I think I lost two chickens last night; now I only have 9 if so.    Should start producing in about a month or so.

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 1:10:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Merlin:
I think I lost two chickens last night; now I only have 9 if so.    Should start producing in about a month or so.

View Quote

That's a drag.  What got them?

Also...local grocery (publix) organically grown* eggs are $7.59.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 11:33:56 PM EDT
[#13]
$1.39doz at Aldi in central MO. yesterday.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 11:36:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Local hippy store has them for $4.99.  I buy them at the hippy place because it's the same price as Safeway but nicer looking eggs.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 11:37:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: icemann0] [#15]
I’m selling them at work for $5 a dozen and can’t keep up with demand. Just selling the extra we don’t need to buy feed. South Texas
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 11:38:16 PM EDT
[#16]
$3/dozen
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 11:08:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#17]
Originally Posted By Undaunted:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Undaunted:

Dunno, I just found two piles of feathers and one two missing birds.  Apparently, they didn't roost up the night before and something got them the next morning.

ETA:  fixed it, only one missing bird.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 9:32:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Son of a gun!  It appears that only one chicken was taken.  Two piles of feathers, but I still have 10 chickens!

See how many you count:

Two different feathers pile; first one is near the corner of the coop:

The other near the shop; about 30 feet away or so:

Back to the thread:  There is a farm near me advertising "Farm Fresh Eggs" for $2/dozen near me.  

Link Posted: 6/12/2023 5:46:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 11:08:20 AM EDT
[#20]

Figure out how the predator got in.  It will be back.

View All Quotes
Son of a gun!  It appears that only one chicken was taken.  Two piles of feathers, but I still have 10 chickens!

See how many you count:

https://i.imgur.com/6iwiwtz.jpg

Two different feathers pile; first one is near the corner of the coop:

https://i.imgur.com/q6j8oj3.jpg

The other near the shop; about 30 feet away or so:

https://i.imgur.com/aFrhR9u.jpg

Back to the thread:  There is a farm near me advertising "Farm Fresh Eggs" for $2/dozen near me.  

Figure out how the predator got in.  It will be back.

Read above:  The one was outside the wire because it didn't roost up the night before.  It was only one, not two.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 10:46:41 PM EDT
[#21]
$5 a dozen and can’t meet demand. Fed a non gmo feed we have ground at the feed mill. Took a big hit due to foxes last year. Lost 58 birds. We keep a 12 loaded with 4 buck by the door. We have a few less foxes around here now 😃
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:34:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Undaunted] [#22]
Local Publix. A bit eye-opening considering the pricing shared in this thread.

Attachment Attached File

Eta: Also the first I've noticed a producer sharing sq ft per chicken!
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 5:35:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 5:36:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 5:37:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I regularly pay 4/dz
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#26]
$5-7
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 6:56:51 PM EDT
[#27]
I think I paid <$3 for 18 just yesterday.  It was like $2.87 or some shit; fuck it, I sent it.

My 10 haven't started laying yet.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 8:57:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 11:22:02 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm down to 8 chickens now.  I traded one hen for a rooster (who doesn't crow a whole lot  ) and I then gave my SIL/BIL 2 hens since they lost one of theirs to a 'yote.

We are just now starting to get 1-2 eggs per day from my hens that I got in May.  

One problem:  They are not laying them in the laying boxes.  I have had 3-4 fake eggs (I broke one) in the laying boxes for a month or so now.  Not one hen has laid an egg in the box.   ?????
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 1:31:30 PM EDT
[#30]
We have never wanted money for our eggs. We raise them for the eggs for ourselves. All extra goes to family, then friends, in that order. Years ago when we first started, the wife wanted a lot of chickens. At that time, we had ,if iirc, 77 hens. We were getting so many that I told the wife we need to find a charity that wanted eggs. Found one and was taking 20 dz. every 2 wks. Sometimes more. Am I ever glad we don't have that many now. It was a lot of work. The one thing I hate about it is not having eggs to give the charity. They really liked them.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By mrmissem:
We have never wanted money for our eggs. We raise them for the eggs for ourselves. All extra goes to family, then friends, in that order. Years ago when we first started, the wife wanted a lot of chickens. At that time, we had ,if iirc, 77 hens. We were getting so many that I told the wife we need to find a charity that wanted eggs. Found one and was taking 20 dz. every 2 wks. Sometimes more. Am I ever glad we don't have that many now. It was a lot of work. The one thing I hate about it is not having eggs to give the charity. They really liked them.
View Quote

We have chickens, eggs, and do a LOT of gardening.  There have been a number of times where we've been in a position to hand a bag of groceries to somebody genuinely in need.  In every case they always seemed to appreciate that there was a little more work, and good will,  behind this bag of food than somebody swiping a debit card at the Piggly Wiggly.  It's also nice to be able to help somebody face-to-face, without thirteen intermediaries standing in the way for their piece of the pie.

I've also found that people who need it, but are too proud to admit it, are a lot more willing to accept farm/garden "surplus" since it's less like welfare than using up food that might otherwise go to waste.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 2:32:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By midmo:

We have chickens, eggs, and do a LOT of gardening.  There have been a number of times where we've been in a position to hand a bag of groceries to somebody genuinely in need.  In every case they always seemed to appreciate that there was a little more work, and good will,  behind this bag of food than somebody swiping a debit card at the Piggly Wiggly.  It's also nice to be able to help somebody face-to-face, without thirteen intermediaries standing in the way for their piece of the pie.

I've also found that people who need it, but are too proud to admit it, are a lot more willing to accept farm/garden "surplus" since it's less like welfare than using up food that might otherwise go to waste.
View Quote

Agreed. As a person who never had much growing up, I will say it always gave me a good feeling deep down being able to do for others.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 2:33:50 PM EDT
[#33]
$3-5/doz.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 6:48:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#34]
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 6:48:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#35]
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 8:53:27 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't have pics of the laying boxes, but it's behind the door on the left in this pic:

The chicken house is about 5' wide.  The right half is for their feed and water buckets and extra pine straw; the left for hen boxes.  There are four boxes ~12-14" on a side.

Link Posted: 10/7/2023 11:38:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 11:46:24 AM EDT
[#38]

@Merlin

What are you using for laying boxes?

ETA:  I got two fake eggs (those ceramic brown ones) to help the new pullets think that's where they should lay.  It worked, but....somebody took a dislike to the one in the top nest box and tossed it out of the nest.  I found it and put it back.  Next day....all the way across the coop.  The one in the bottom nest row was still there, but at least one hen thinks that fake egg is insulting.
View All Quotes
I'm down to 8 chickens now.  I traded one hen for a rooster (who doesn't crow a whole lot  ) and I then gave my SIL/BIL 2 hens since they lost one of theirs to a 'yote.

We are just now starting to get 1-2 eggs per day from my hens that I got in May.  

One problem:  They are not laying them in the laying boxes.  I have had 3-4 fake eggs (I broke one) in the laying boxes for a month or so now.  Not one hen has laid an egg in the box.   ?????

@Merlin

What are you using for laying boxes?

ETA:  I got two fake eggs (those ceramic brown ones) to help the new pullets think that's where they should lay.  It worked, but....somebody took a dislike to the one in the top nest box and tossed it out of the nest.  I found it and put it back.  Next day....all the way across the coop.  The one in the bottom nest row was still there, but at least one hen thinks that fake egg is insulting.
@Kitties-with-Sigs,

Got a pic of the nesting boxes:

See if you can figure out which are the real eggs and the fake eggs:

Link Posted: 10/9/2023 11:10:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: whiskerz] [#39]
I am at the top of the panhandle and see my vet clinic selling eggs for donations to $4.00 a dozen. Lots of people in the $3 price point. I have seen as high as $5. There is also a guy who sets up a little trailer and sells eggs around town. He gets around $5 a dozen. He also has been thrown out of the parking lot selling them in front of the grocery store. He seems to not understand that the grocery store actually pays for the lot. He went online and whined.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 2:21:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By mrmissem:
View Quote

I can certainly appreciate that. I'm trying to encourage my wife to be pragmatic in getting our little permaculture farm together. She is not wired for working with a budget. The money from the eggs we sell is used to offset feed.

Friends are happy. They know exactly what they are getting and its less expensive than the store.

My easter eggers have taken a real hit in recent months. My Rhode Island Reds are simply ruthless, and the roosters aren't intervening. Incredibly tribal. We are not running much of a surplus right now and I need to get another batch going. But first, I need to get rid of my stupid goats.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 5:07:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#41]
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 10:45:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#42]
We're getting eggs in the laying boxes now.  I know they've been laying (sleeping) in the boxes because they mess the pine shavings I have in there plus they move the fake eggs around.  Now, some are actually laying eggs there.  I still have the one hen laying eggs in the front left corner of the house though.  Oh well, life's tough - then you die!

ETA:  My granddaughter loves to feed the chickens and get the eggs!  When she goes back home to her parents, she goes crazy over the eggs she takes with her!  Sorry, no pics, her mommy (my daughter) would kill me.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 11:22:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperHeavy] [#43]
WOW I swear the cheap eggs were $5-6/dozen last time I went to the grocery store. Where are you guys seeing $2?

Most people with signs out selling their own eggs are in the $6 range.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 1:00:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By SuperHeavy:
WOW I swear the cheap eggs were $5-6/dozen last time I went to the grocery store. Where are you guys seeing $2?

Most people with signs out selling their own eggs are in the $6 range.
View Quote

This time of year the chickens slow down so I have to get store eggs occasionally.
I get Jumbo (the largest) for $3.
Brown eggs from farmers are $4 and vary from large to enormous depending on age of the chicken.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 7:01:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#46]
I noticed at Kroger that eggs had come back down.  

Uxb is taking ours to work.  Because our eggs vary so widely in size, I'm actually just selling 18 (we have some 18-egg crates) for the same money, and including six of the smaller eggs.  I hate to charge normal price if the eggs aren't consistently of good size.

Seems like our older hens have slowed down a lot this fall.  New hens are getting going, but many are still smaller.  They may always be smaller.   I've never had these new (to me) breeds before.  I thought with Brahmas it would be big chickens, big eggs, but I'm not seeing that.

View Quote

The places I have gotten them here seem to have this pattern-
Molt now and slow down.
Cold weather and more dark slow down more. Corn and lights help.

Young, lots of small eggs.
Get older they get bigger.
Old lay less but eggs are huge.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 8:53:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 10:50:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FZJ80] [#48]
We braved the Farmers Market in town last weekend and eggs were back to $5-6/dozen and advertising various levels social dogoodism contained within.  

Fall here in MI means it’s a Han Solo/Urban hipster lumberjack convention in the city.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 1:13:19 PM EDT
[#49]
I've got a relevant follow-on question:  what's the going rate for egg cartons and where do you all source yours from?
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 1:19:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Corporal_Chaos:
I've got a relevant follow-on question:  what's the going rate for egg cartons and where do you all source yours from?
View Quote

Go to the “free” section of Craigslist.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top