Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2018 10:07:43 AM EDT
Here is a video of my first adult fish of 2018. It should give you an idea of what spey fishing is all about. AMA

My embedding skills suck. Try this: edit 2: still sucking wind. try youtube search for "ORRideFishGuide" or "Early Season Steelhead on spey"

If someone could school me on embedding that would be awesome!
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Here is a video of my first adult fish of 2018. It should give you an idea of what spey fishing is all about. AMA

My embedding skills suck. Try this: edit 2: still sucking wind. try youtube search for "ORRideFishGuide" or "Early Season Steelhead on spey"

If someone could school me on embedding that would be awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYNjTxbKTPQ
View Quote
Early Season Steelhead on spey

Delete the (s) at the end of http.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 1:51:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 9:11:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYNjTxbKTPQ

Delete the (s) at the end of http.
View Quote
Thanks. I’ll try that on the next one.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 9:15:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'd love to get a spey rod, and try it out.

I saw a short video of a woman casting something like 145' with a spey rod the other day.
View Quote
Casting that far takes some serious skills, ones I don’t have. I am perfectly happy casting 80’. You would be surprised how many fish I catch in close, like 15’-40’. Some runs need long casts but most only require moderate casts.

Spey rods rock!
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 12:37:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Spey rods rock!
View Quote
Yes they do!  Nice fish BTW. I am so envious!

We used to make a bi-annual trip up to Orofino, ID but it made for a long drive.  Back then, I was casting traditional Scandi lines with 13 ft leaders with either a Burkheimer 7134-4 or 8134-4.  So much has changed regarding spey lines over the years that it’s hard for me to keep up.  Both of those rods are now just lined with Rio Scandi versitips.

I really, really need to get back up to the PNW and swing for steelhead.

Spey rods/casting was really my first passion.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 3:36:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes they do!  Nice fish BTW. I am so envious!

We used to make a bi-annual trip up to Orofino, ID but it made for a long drive.  Back then, I was casting traditional Scandi lines with 13 ft leaders with either a Burkheimer 7134-4 or 8134-4.  So much has changed regarding spey lines over the years that it’s hard for me to keep up.  Both of those rods are now just lined with Rio Scandi versitips.

I really, really need to get back up to the PNW and swing for steelhead.

Spey rods/casting was really my first passion.
View Quote
The Burkie 7134 is the rod I caught my first steelhead on the swing on. It wasn’t a big fish but it was enough to hook me. I love this time of the year. Swinging skandi lines with size 6-8 sparcely tied flies is a joyous thing. Currently I am fishing a 4wt Hydrogen and a 5wt Beulah as my go to rods. I also have a 6wt Beulah loaded with an arrowhead line.i am determined to catch a fish on a single Spey, snake roll and on a skated dry fly this season.

My last day out I saw two guides with swing clients. All of them were throwing skagit lines. I told the one I knew I was doing well on the light stuff but he stuck with the heavy stuff and zeroed for the day. The fish in our system move for tiny flies really well. It may be because they see so many big flies poorly fished.

We start making wine in about two weeks. When that happens I will be lucky to get on the river. I love making wine but I always long for the river during that time of the year. I am going to try to set up some swing shifts so I can get some afternoon sessions in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top