Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 20
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 5:52:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Picked up 10gal of kerosene for backup heating and 800 small pistol primers.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I ordered a squat rack. Time to get my ass in shape again
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 7:42:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TribunusSanGeorgii:
View Quote
What kind of Kerosene heater do you use @TribunusSanGeorgii
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 7:42:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PA-Minuteman] [#4]
View Quote
Double tap
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 7:48:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PA-Minuteman] [#5]
View Quote
Triple tap
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 8:12:29 AM EDT
[#6]
picked up 500 pounds of free weights this weekend. Started 5x5. Used a total of 35 pounds since it's been more years than I care to admit, but I took the first steps.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 8:19:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By PA-Minuteman:
What kind of Kerosene heater do you use @TribunusSanGeorgii
View Quote

I have 2 similar to this that I have picked up through craigslist.

I still have to do a test run with them this fall to make sure I know how to use them.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 11:54:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Vaquero] [#8]
Changed batteries in my pistol RDSes.

Got back into this, not quite every day but close.
25 Daily Presses

Been doing this for a while:
https://www.strongfirst.com/strength-and-conditioning-for-bjj-fighters/

Going to switch to the competition prep routine. Planning my first tournament at the end of October.

Took the kids on a hike. Had some drama when no one could find their ponchos, but it was a good lesson and they ended up finding them. Eight year old has been studying geography in school, so he carried a compass and had to report on our direction of travel.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 10:55:28 AM EDT
[#9]

I have 2 similar to this that I have picked up through craigslist.

http://mobileimages.lowes.com/productimages/168f358e-34ea-4b7d-ab33-2fe9929ed9d1/01371764.jpg

I still have to do a test run with them this fall to make sure I know how to use them.
View Quote
I just bought one for $14 at the goodwill. I don't even know if I can get kerosene in Az
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 6:57:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Put up a batch of plum jelly and pear butter from free fruit that people were giving away.  picked up a couple flats of progresso soup on sale and we will be canning some butter soon to test out the new pressure canner.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 8:01:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I scored some free wood from work today. We cut up all the pallets and I use them in my outdoor fire pit. Planted some cabbage plants yesterday. Also redid my drainage system from my down spout that was flooding my “garden” and am trying another round of bush beans.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 1:29:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Pantry organizing
Attachment Attached File

And work bench Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:52:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Got a manual meat grinder last year and finally unboxed it.  Built a base out of scrap wood for it so that it may be bar clamped onto a table (no mars on furniture).  The base had two pieces of plywood that were drilled for dowels and then glued together.  Then the holes for the grinder were drilled and finally more scrap wood to elevate the base to allow clearance for the screws.  A piece of that flexible plastic cutting board was cut to fit and also drilled out.  I should stain and varnish it next.  This is   a small victory for humanity!
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 12:24:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Put up 8 dozen farm fresh scrambled eggs from the Harvest Right in mylar.

Started another batch of 8 dozen this afternoon.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 12:42:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Bought a gym membership
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 9:16:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Learned how to can. First batch is some meat sauce.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 4:56:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Found this at the thrift store for $25

Currently looking for the "fuel can oracle" version of lanterns

Link Posted: 11/1/2022 6:17:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Four trays of banana chips in the freeze dryer. Five dozen scrambled eggs in the freezer now in spare freeze dryer trays, going in the freeze dryer tomorrow.

Link Posted: 11/1/2022 7:57:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By MrTinkles:
Found this at the thrift store for $25

Currently looking for the "fuel can oracle" version of lanterns

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/221602/20221101_161406_2-2584320.jpg
View Quote
You're looking for the HOA Corn guy, @Kenmack IRC.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 8:19:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Finally forced.myself to pick up a Harbor Freight 2000 watt Genny.

With a coupon $580 out the door. Will be playing with it over the weekend. I'd like to get another at some point, and I should prob check my gas cans too.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 10:46:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Pav56C:
Finally forced.myself to pick up a Harbor Freight 2000 watt Genny.

With a coupon $580 out the door. Will be playing with it over the weekend. I'd like to get another at some point, and I should prob check my gas cans too.
View Quote

I have been thinking about grabbing their 1400W version for a couple weeks.  It would be nice to have a gas sipper for a long duration event.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 12:33:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By smoores01:
Bought a gym membership
View Quote

Now get after it! Probably the single best thing you can do to survive.

I was not able to compete in the tournament a couple weeks ago due to a work conflict, but I did get a blue belt.

Today was 25 daily presses with the 320 then deadlifts, pull ups and KB swings.

Got a parts gun in shape. Adult step son is moving back to the area and he’ll need something if he’s going to be training with me.

Link Posted: 11/3/2022 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I’ve used the 2k harbor freight gen. 8 hours straight at track days. The hold down for start run dial screw fell out but other wise great. Others have the 3500 going on 4 years no issues except the rattling wheel lock
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 9:05:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: caduckgunner] [#24]
Picked up a working electric Nutramill at the Salvation Army for $5.99.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 9:58:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ljh824] [#25]
No pics yet, but took advantage of some Amazon deals, getting after some odds and ends.  no real necessities here, just nice to haves:  

-dozen boxes or so of Hormal shelf stable meals
-pump for my scepter water cans
-truck mount for my scepter fuel can(s)
-Katadyn BeFree water filters (a few)
-Extension cord for my Jackery solar panels (35 footer)
-Stihl chainsaw sharpener
-Stanley pour over coffee set
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Topped off my truck, a couple gas cans, and one small fuel can yesterday.

Damn it so fucking expensive now.

7.5 gallons of non-E gas.  
Topped of my truck with regular gas -it was somewhere between 1/2 tank and 3/4.  I didn't pay attention to how much it took.
3 gallons of diesel.

$97.10 total.  -Fuck.  
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 11:38:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Made 15qts of applesauce last night.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 11:06:48 AM EDT
[#28]
50 pounds of pearled barley up in mylar and into homer buckets.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 11:22:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 11:48:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By BayEagle:
Bought more coffee.  Ever since reading Alas Babylon years ago, I've been obsessed with putting back loads of coffee.  I may starve but I'll die highly caffeinated.
View Quote

I spent a fair amount of time researching coffee storage and it just doesn't work unless you are buying green beans and roasting them yourself just before you need them.  Once the coffee is roasted or ground it starts to lose flavor unfortunately.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 1:02:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By garbageman:

I spent a fair amount of time researching coffee storage and it just doesn't work unless you are buying green beans and roasting them yourself just before you need them.  Once the coffee is roasted or ground it starts to lose flavor unfortunately.
View Quote

Freeze dried espresso lasts forever. Not as good but beats being sober

I have ~350 pounds of cow on the way for $900 shipped. Should fill the freezer pretty good
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 6:23:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:

I have ~350 pounds of cow on the way for $900 shipped. Should fill the freezer pretty good
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That's pretty cheap for shipped.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 6:50:35 PM EDT
[#33]

That's pretty cheap for shipped.
View Quote

Stupid cheap. Under 50 pounds is ground beef, the rest is steaks up to prime rib :-)

In-laws come down from PA and this was a cow they picked for us. Will be all packed and vac’d at that price as well. Crazy not to at that price.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 9:24:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Ordered a Colman duel fuel lantern from target for a heck of a deal from this thread:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/Survival-Forum-Deals/17-699616/&page=16

Also ordered a new glass globe and a few rebuild parts for a much older Coleman fuel lantern I had laying around.

Also ordered up an off-brand inverter generator to supplement my whole house gas hogs during power outages.

Aside from ordering crap I did bag a young buck a week or so again and will be cleaning up and freezing the meat tomorrow.

Hoping the heavy snow holds out for a bit longer so I can put some more firewood back for next year after hunting season is over.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 10:44:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By BayEagle:
Bought more coffee.  Ever since reading Alas Babylon years ago, I've been obsessed with putting back loads of coffee.  I may starve but I'll die highly caffeinated.
View Quote
Nice - no one I know remembers this book. I had to read in 9th grade back in 89 when nuclear war was still possible - but before it became impossible and now possible again  

The metal cans of Kirkland Columbian coffee, while having nearly doubled in price in 3 years, has a very long shelf life.  I've used cans two years past the best buy date however my taste buds may be failing me.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 10:57:24 AM EDT
[#36]
I would like to encourage anyone delaying elective surgery or dental work - DO IT NOW.  The price or possibility could slip away faster than you think.  I know I recount my wife's early life here a lot but some aspects relate exactly to our current times.  You wake up one day and things are expensive - you wake up the next and they are unaffordable.

I'm in my mid 40s.  I had both of my large toe joints fused this year.  Previously it would be very painful for me to hike more than few miles.  The issue started at 35 and got worse every year. This is partly genetic, partly me not wearing the proper arch supports for many years and I wore down the cartilage between the big joint.  Now I can hike all day long pain free for consecutive days and be on my feet all day if needed.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 8:13:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chris_in_TX] [#37]
I picked up a  like new Kero-Sun Omni 15 heater and a new in box Alpaca kerosene cooker for 80 bucks out the door.  Dude said that he had them for emergencies and said he didn't know where to find kerosene.  I suppose he didn't look too hard.  I found some in less then an hour.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 8:57:10 PM EDT
[#38]
I started learning something new. My 99-year-old grandma taught me how to start canning. We made a few cans of Jerusalem artichoke relish.
It was pretty fun and made me want to expand my garden so I can start canning other things. Grandma made the comment that "learning skills is better than collecting things."
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 1:05:04 PM EDT
[#39]
I’ve been cutting dead standing wood like a crazy man the last 3 weeks. I got my wood stove installed a couple months ago and I’m trying to get a few years stacked up quick as possible to start drying. With the cold temps coming in a couple days it’s going to slow down quick. I’ll be filling up about 15 gallons of ethanol free gas on wed. Costco shop this coming Friday and I’ll buy and put more food in the basement.  

Can only do so much to prepare being poor.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 11:02:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Not too sure what I've done since last post, but I know I've packaged and stored hundreds more #'s of rice, flour, sugar, etc.
Spent a good # of hours in the woods, and although I am still buck-less, I did prove that I can harvest beat, gut, clean and process said meat into something we can eat.

We (in-laws) discussed planting food plots to improve next year's deer harvest. We decided on soy. I suggested we should plan some potatoes for nostalgia (100 years ago it was a potato farm) even though the deer probably wouldn't eat them. He said "the hell with the deer! We're gonna eat em!".
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 9:44:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Leo31:
I’ve been cutting dead standing wood like a crazy man the last 3 weeks. I got my wood stove installed a couple months ago and I’m trying to get a few years stacked up quick as possible to start drying. With the cold temps coming in a couple days it’s going to slow down quick. I’ll be filling up about 15 gallons of ethanol free gas on wed. Costco shop this coming Friday and I’ll buy and put more food in the basement.  

Can only do so much to prepare being poor.
View Quote

Poor or not , hard work will still but you way ahead of the lazy. The ant did eat the grasshopper at the end of the fable.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 12:12:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Installed insulation in my attic

Found out my attic only had R11 in it

Installed R38 baths so now Im up to R49

I also wanna replace my attic door, front door, & front screen door to be more efficient so I spend less every winter
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 7:49:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By PA-Minuteman:
Installed insulation in my attic

Found out my attic only had R11 in it

Installed R38 baths so now Im up to R49

I also wanna replace my attic door, front door, & front screen door to be more efficient so I spend less every winter
View Quote

On the floor or rafters? I want to insulate above my garage but read mixed reviews on wether or not to on rafters due to ventilation ?
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:08:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By chicken_rider:

On the floor or rafters? I want to insulate above my garage but read mixed reviews on wether or not to on rafters due to ventilation ?
View Quote
Attic Floor

The rafters I leave bare so no moisture builds up

Link Posted: 12/14/2022 1:03:31 PM EDT
[#45]

Stupid cheap. Under 50 pounds is ground beef, the rest is steaks up to prime rib :-)

In-laws come down from PA and this was a cow they picked for us. Will be all packed and vac’d at that price as well. Crazy not to at that price.
View Quote

@steviesterno16
Would you mind sharing the source?  I'd love to get into a half cow or split a whole with a couple of my friends.
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 2:15:14 PM EDT
[#46]
freeze drying 30lbs of chicken breakfast sausage that cost us $20

this year we prepped big on whole home solar/batter and freeze dryer

been stacking firewood deep (we heat 100% now with wood)

and just little things

prepping for decades has paid off that I don't need much now.

going through stuff that is expired / gone bad

Link Posted: 12/26/2022 9:19:52 PM EDT
[#47]
I did perhaps the most important thing: Took the kids out to teach and practice some skills. Split wood with a large survival knife, started fire with flint and steel (cotton ball cheaters were used. wet wood and wind made it a necessity), melted snow to make a delicious hot chocolate. Nothing better than making memories and passing on knowledge to the generations to come.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 9:58:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Badger545:
I did perhaps the most important thing: Took the kids out to teach and practice some skills. Split wood with a large survival knife, started fire with flint and steel (cotton ball cheaters were used. wet wood and wind made it a necessity), melted snow to make a delicious hot chocolate. Nothing better than making memories and passing on knowledge to the generations to come.
View Quote

Sounds like a great day!
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 8:10:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FinanceGuy] [#49]
Finally got my wonder mill junior deluxe plus grain mill from roots and harvest today.

Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:32:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gettingstarted] [#50]
I paid of a 30 yr mortgage in just over 12 yrs last month..   I am now 100% officially debt free - house - cars - credit card - etc etc ... they are all paid off.

Only have taxes and monthly bills ( cell / elec / gas / internet / water / insurance etc ) left and I could if necessary semi retire and work part time and pay those.    

Going to start really putting money away to rebuild my reserves  as they are not where I want it / need it to be and I have taken a massive beating in my IRA / 401K  type things this year.

Payed the extra charge for an upgraded 50 year roof on my house this year, when insurance covered damage from a windstorm event. With luck this roof will be the last one that I ever put on this house.

Picked up a 2nd chest freezer, and just rotated all my frozen stuff and spread it around to make it easier to find.    

Been getting some minor medical stuff done last few years,  need to get a hernia repair re- done as the surgery 2 years ago to fix it did not take.   hopefully after that I will be good to go for a while.  

Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top