Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 20
Posted: 5/20/2020 8:51:01 AM EDT
I feel like these threads were always on the top page, and although I rarely posted, I always read through them for ideas when I was sitting idle.
Searched through all the posts and the most recent one I could find archived is from 2009!!! There must be a glich in the matrix, I also noticed that it says "locked at 100", yet there's only 50 pages.

Regardless! Lets kick off #3!!!!

In the last month or so, I have mylared and stores in buckets 100lbs of white rice, 75lbs of white flour, and 25lbs of white sugar. And stored in a cool basement, on top of a flexi-seal coated heavy pallet, and covered with an old military blanket.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:58:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Bought more shit paper, red meat, and chicken, lots of beer, whisky and bottled water.  NOw I’m ready for anything.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 7:15:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Bought a sawyer point zero two filter.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 8:29:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Nothing today, just more convince it's coming.  "You can't stop what's coming".
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 1:59:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a pallet of bottled water from Sams club.  The per bottle cost is way higher than if I just went and got it myself, but they deliver the pallet right to my front door.  This is my daily use water for cooking, drinking, etc.  I have my supplemental rain barrel, tote, and filtration methods for flushing, washing, and backup.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:19:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ljh824:
I bought a pallet of bottled water from Sams club.  The per bottle cost is way higher than if I just went and got it myself, but they deliver the pallet right to my front door.  This is my daily use water for cooking, drinking, etc.  I have my supplemental rain barrel, tote, and filtration methods for flushing, washing, and backup.
View Quote

If your using bottle water for daily use, I'm assuming your atleast semi off grid. Wouldn't it be more cost efficient to buy water in gallon size jugs on a pallet?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 11:03:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Pav56C:

If your using bottle water for daily use, I'm assuming your atleast semi off grid. Wouldn't it be more cost efficient to buy water in gallon size jugs on a pallet?
View Quote

Oh it would be absolutely more cost efficient trust me.  Wife and little girl would rather have the little bottles.  I even have a beautiful Big Berkey that the won't drink from.  Ridiculous.  They will be miserable if the shit ever really hits the fan.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 11:17:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I understand. In my house anything other than Poland Spring might as well be septic water
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:17:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ForestRegion] [#8]
Wrote a due diligence check and an earnest money check. We're going from a 2200 sq. ft. house and being house poor to a 1400 sq. ft. house that will be paid off after we do some minor improvements. Praying inspections and appraisals go well.

ETA: new smaller house is on a bigger flat lot. We will have a garden and chickens eventually.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:41:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I understand. In my house anything other than Poland Spring might as well be septic water
View Quote

One thing I try to do in my planning and preps, is program in some comfort for my family.  I mean, I slept in a hole in the desert for 3 months with no shower, I can endure roughing it just fine.  My wife and daughter, not so much.  If I have to spend a little more here and there so they are more comfortable, so be it.  I'm not so much planning for TEOTWAWKI, as I am hurricane season, or say a pandemic (ha).  So a pallet of 20z water bottles, cases upon cases of TP, comfort food, etc.  Yes, I stack it deep, always ensuring I have the basic life sustaining essentials right next to it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:02:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Put half a beef in the deep freeze.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:03:20 AM EDT
[#11]
I watered the vegetable garden.   Victory!
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:49:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Did six miles in 1:43 with 45# and four like minded dudes.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:22:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Made an honest assessment of where I stand today and planning how to upgrade what and how much I have.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 12:10:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Ran my new Predator 3500 generator for about 4 hours to add to the break in time. Bought NGK sparkplugs and synthetic oil to install once break in is complete. Also got a variety of main jets for the carb. It smells like its running a little rich but I'll check that when I pull the plug.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 1:18:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Evaluating what worked and what didn't over the past few weeks/months.

Making a list of "Needs" and "Wants" for resupply and prep for possible 2nd wave of CoVid and civil unrest.

Just wrapped up building my 1st Garden and will now pivot hard to Solar Power for home and Trailer
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 1:51:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Been working on my diy solar generator for a month. Almost done but waiting on Amazon to deliver some terminal lugs. Delivery has been delayed for 3 days in a row now...
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 10:27:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Getting my barn and pasture ready for a few cows.  That was an all day thing and likely will take at least 3-5 more.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 10:47:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought my gal a TecSun PL-398BT (Blue Tooth) AM/FM/SW radio and a little aluminum Esbit duel fuel (solid tabs/alcohol) cook set for hurricane season in Miami.

At least she can heat up some soup, chili and tea and listen to the radio if her power goes out. She already has two O2 Cool 10” battery fans to move the air and flashlights and a Streamlight Siege 3D lantern.

I recently bought an Xtar PBS2 charger/power bank and two Samsung 50E 21700 li-ions to power it. The PB is on a slow boat from China, evidently.

Chris
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 7:00:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Picked up a Ruger 10/22 takedown in stainless with a threaded barrel.  Getting a Magpul X-22 stock for it.  Don't own a 10/22 and figured it was time.  Didn't really need to spend all the money, but temptation was too strong and it will nicely in a pack.

It will wear a Dead Air Mask.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 3:04:53 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

The plastic they use for the bottles is not designed for long term storage. The water will simply evaporate through the plastic over a period of time. The bottles be only half full in 5-6 years.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 4:12:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Ran about 13 gallons of gasoline through a filter to get any water that was in there out (I left it outside and the O-rings melted). The 3 gas cans were then properly stored in the shed for use in small engine equipment.

Then took the empty can and filled it with fresh gas.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 8:17:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Gyprat:

The plastic they use for the bottles is not designed for long term storage. The water will simply evaporate through the plastic over a period of time. The bottles be only half full in 5-6 years.
View Quote

I'm in a constant rotation of water.  The pallet won't last a year.  They lasted pretty long in Afghanistan, but I agree it's not ideal for long term
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 9:02:56 AM EDT
[#23]

I'm in a constant rotation of water.  The pallet won't last a year.  They lasted pretty long in Afghanistan, but I agree it's not ideal for long term
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gyprat:

I've been buying water by the pallet for a couple years now. No problems. Started off doing Zephryhills water, now buying sams club water. I go through a pallet in about 10 months and replace. I keep in garage and out building.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 10:37:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By RjSteed:
I've been buying water by the pallet for a couple years now. No problems. Started off doing Zephryhills water, now buying sams club water. I go through a pallet in about 10 months and replace. I keep in garage and out building.
View Quote

yes, while it is a little bit pricier, i'm paying for the convenience of having a full pallet delivered to my front door.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 11:17:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Ran this morning and did an abdominal routine. Getting our (soon) smaller house appraised (cutting our mortgage by over 50%). Moved some boxes into the storage unit in preparation for the big move.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 1:03:24 PM EDT
[#26]

One thing I try to do in my planning and preps, is program in some comfort for my family.  I mean, I slept in a hole in the desert for 3 months with no shower, I can endure roughing it just fine.  My wife and daughter, not so much.  If I have to spend a little more here and there so they are more comfortable, so be it.  I'm not so much planning for TEOTWAWKI, as I am hurricane season, or say a pandemic (ha).  So a pallet of 20z water bottles, cases upon cases of TP, comfort food, etc.  Yes, I stack it deep, always ensuring I have the basic life sustaining essentials right next to it.
View All Quotes

I feel your pain. My wife won't drink tapwater even though our water comes from reservoirs of snowmelt runoff; its faaaaar better than anywhere else I've lived (AZ/LA/KS). What makes it worse is when they don't finish the bottles and leave them half full scattered about, lol.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 6:46:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Keeping with the water theme, was able to find Scepter 5 gallon water cans on eBay through PepBoys. $10/piece, shipped.
Usually $25/piece shipped through Amazon and Walmart.

Ordered 5 more to bring my stored water up to 50 gallons.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 2:49:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Put together another AR. Looking for a 590A1.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 9:56:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Keeping with the water theme, was able to find Scepter 5 gallon water cans on eBay through PepBoys. $10/piece, shipped.

View Quote

Ebay link for these

They used to run these on sale for $8 shipped pre-covid/late 2019 era and I would grab five every time they did.  Think I have like 25 of them now.  Solid solid deal even at $10 shipped for sure
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By rollin-tumblin:

Ebay link for these

They used to run these on sale for $8 shipped pre-covid/late 2019 era and I would grab five every time they did.  Think I have like 25 of them now.  Solid solid deal even at $10 shipped for sure
View All Quotes

Ebay link for these

I read some reviews on these saying that the vents don't seal on ones made after 2017, can you confirm? The price is right, but not if I can't store purified water in them.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 2:43:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By PointBlank82:

I read some reviews on these saying that the vents don't seal on ones made after 2017, can you confirm? The price is right, but not if I can't store purified water in them.
View All Quotes

Ebay link for these

I've not had any issues with any of mine, including some delivered early this year.  

Today I picked up my Remington 870 Police Magnum from my LGS, along with a 250 ct case of 00 buck I had them order.  Planted another 4x4 bed of onions and some kale & collards and also planted a small pumpkin patch (buried some seeds on the site of our old compost pile that is just a very slight mound now, can't wait to see how they do) early this morning before work
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:01:09 AM EDT
[#32]
This morning I got some cuttings off our blackberries started in our little rooting area.  I also dug around the bases of our existing plants and removed six small plants to move them to another area along our woodline.  Put in another small succession planting of green beans.  Then ran out of time for fun stuff and headed to work.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 9:13:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Received (yesterday) and filled (this morning) five more of the aforementioned Scepter 5gallon cans and placed them in the crawlspace.  Got a new compost bin area made out of pallets, two compartments side by side so I can rotate it back and forth as often as I think of it.  Our old pile has now fully transformed to black gold so I was ready to stop adding fresh material to it.  Ordered a 20" CHF A2 upper from Palmetto State Armory for the A2 style lower I've had sitting around for far too long.  I said I was done buying guns at these inflated prices, but if it can ship to my doorstep I won't consider it a gun.  Just the necessary part to make the gun complete
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 9:19:01 AM EDT
[#34]

Oh it would be absolutely more cost efficient trust me.  Wife and little girl would rather have the little bottles.  I even have a beautiful Big Berkey that the won't drink from.  Ridiculous.  They will be miserable if the shit ever really hits the fan.
View All Quotes

My wife and I greatly prefer Berkey water to bottled.  It just tastes better.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 10:46:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Added meat goats to our dairy goat heard.  It's a fun experiment, more for money than for eating.  I've eaten enough goats in my career to know they're not my #1 choice.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 3:06:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Bought pullet grower feed for my chicks.  And put the final touches on the coop so that its ready for my wife to paint.

Inventoried ammo and looked at a better property
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 11:50:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Another six mike hike with three like minded guys last night. Everyone had a 45# pack, and we hit it in 1:50. About 900-1000 foot elevation gain in three miles, then downhill. A good test of rain gear and walking in wet boots.

If you haven’t seen this, it’s a good template for individual preparation. At the very least it’s a good way to have some fellowship with like minded folks. Sort of like the old SF camp outs but with a little broader audience.

APC/BB
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 2:28:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 7:20:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Reorganized basement onto plastic pallets so water isn't an issue.
96lbs of pinto beans delivered. Will be getting 4 more lbs soon and hopefully get it all sealed up over the weekend.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 7:38:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 12:16:05 AM EDT
[#41]
I got some #10 cans of Augason Farms

I got the Tomato Powder, Cheese Powder, Butter Powder, & Pancake Powder (plain)

There on sale at Amazon so I figured I would try them
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 10:19:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By PA-Minuteman:
I got some #10 cans of Augason Farms

I got the Tomato Powder, Cheese Powder, Butter Powder, & Pancake Powder (plain)

There on sale at Amazon so I figured I would try them
View Quote

Think about some of their freeze dried raspberries... Very high in fiber, should help with that cheese powder!
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 11:45:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Ordered my new pack today. I moved up from a Walmart clearance pack to a Kelty Coyote 80....119 on Amazon right now. Last years model.
I have been walking almost every night with my pack loaded up.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 4:30:21 PM EDT
[#44]

Think about some of their freeze dried raspberries... Very high in fiber, should help with that cheese powder!
View Quote
Will look into that, thanks
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 4:35:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AR45fan] [#45]
Not today but yesterday put another $500 (in tens) in the safe.  Cash on hand, in small bills, seems wise.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 4:29:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Started rooting more blackberry cuttings.  I want to eventually have very large harvests of these, its one of those fruits that we both freeze as well as dehydrate as many as we can get our hands on.  They are much lower maintenance than a lot of other fruits as well, seeming especially drought tolerant.  They're also very easy to root.  Just cut off 4-6" lengths of new growth that has somewhat begun to harden, whittle just a bit of the outer bark off of one end, and stick that end in a container of a light, porous, sandy medium.  Cover it with something to keep the humidity high (I use clear jugs or two liter soda bottles with the bottom cut off) and keep them in a shady area.  Direct sun will cook them, so pick a nice shady spot.  Most will root and show new growth within 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Started rooting more blackberry cuttings.  I want to eventually have very large harvests of these, its one of those fruits that we both freeze as well as dehydrate as many as we can get our hands on.  They are much lower maintenance than a lot of other fruits as well, seeming especially drought tolerant.  They're also very easy to root.  Just cut off 4-6" lengths of new growth that has somewhat begun to harden, whittle just a bit of the outer bark off of one end, and stick that end in a container of a light, porous, sandy medium.  Cover it with something to keep the humidity high (I use clear jugs or two liter soda bottles with the bottom cut off) and keep them in a shady area.  Direct sun will cook them, so pick a nice shady spot.  Most will root and show new growth within 3 weeks.
View Quote

We’ve harvested over 70 lbs of blackberries this spring

Then I looked at how many calories that is and I’m not sure we broke even with the calories spent to harvest that many
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 8:05:01 PM EDT
[#48]
got a chance to fine tune the sight picture with the G17...Vortex Venom ....in the Recover Tactical brace Wednesday.... cataract is compounding the astigmatism  problem.... the starburst still got some 3 shot groups around 2" at 50m
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 12:31:09 AM EDT
[#49]
I am looking at getting  a part time job ...    weekends and nights ....help pad my income  

if nothing else would allow me to put more away for a rainy day  etc
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 4:26:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Over the past two months....

Prepared a quarantine room (attic bedroom previously used for storage) and working on AC upgrades to accommodate.  We are all going to get it (or already have) and its better safe than sorry.  If not needed at least we have a place for the flu.  The room has good sound isolation for home office so win-win.

Encapsulated crawlspace and turned into storage. Was previously being used but now gives me an opportunity to reorganize a lot of stuff and wrap skids in black plastic for visual privacy.  House is 15 years old so furnace/ac and water heater is on borrowed time and crawl will have traffic.

I've had chickens about 10 years or so.  Never saw an outage of cracked corn or layer pellets at Tractor Supply until this March.  Started accumulating extra months of cracked corn and layer pellets.  FYI - tractor supply whole corn stores well in mylar and O2.  We have ground several times to make polenta/yellow corn grits. You can grind in your wheat grinder or crack for your hens.  Storing them cracked compromises the natural protective layer around the kernel and leads to early spoilage.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top