Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2019 1:21:49 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 1:28:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Basically you just want something to help break up your outline.

ETA, if you have one it wouldn't hurt to look at your hunting clothes with a black light and see if any of them glow.  I have heard that the deer can kind of see in the ultraviolet spectrum.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 1:29:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I've seen plenty of hunters wearing brown carharts and being very successful year over year. I think the camo helps break the outline or pattern up , but how you move, scent, and noise seem to be the biggest factors.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 1:29:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Limit movement and hunt the wind.  They pick up on movement, color really doesn't matter.

Only caveat I would say is still hunting versus spot and stalk  -

Still hunting - really doesn't matter.
Spot and stalk - wearing something that breaks up your outline and blends into the environment you are hunting does help some in masking your movement I suppose.

Hunting birds is a different story.  Ducks, geese, and turkeys can see very well. They can pick you out whether you move or not.  Camo that blends in well is very helpful with those.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 1:35:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Limit movement and hunt the wind.  They pick up on movement, color really doesn't matter.

Only caveat I would say is still hunting versus spot and stalk  -

Still hunting - really doesn't matter.
Spot and stalk - wearing something that breaks up your outline and blends into the environment you are hunting does help some in masking your movement I suppose.

Hunting birds is a different story.  Ducks, geese, and turkeys can see very well. They can pick you out whether you move or not.  Camo that blends in well is very helpful with those.
View Quote
This.  But I do believe animals have a sixth sense. Everything can be perfect, and all of a sudden they know something is wrong.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 1:36:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 1:57:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I usually hunt in shorts and a polo shirt. Color dies not matter. Movement and scent does.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 2:25:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I think cammo helps break up your outline.

Also muted, natural colors, not too light and not too dark.

IMO, if you wear blaze orange in a stand, it’s best to wear a vest rather than a hat since you’ll be moving your head more than your torso.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 3:02:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 3:10:27 PM EDT
[#9]
What ever is cost effective, performs as needed against the environment, and provides some breakup.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 3:32:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I would not do blue as that is a color they can pick up on.  They cans also sense UV brighters so make sure you use an appropriate detergent with no scent or brighteners. Otherwise they see gray shades and movement is the killer.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 3:38:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Khaki, OD green, Black, Navy, Bright ass red flannel.

All things I wear regularly when hunting, none have caused me issues yet.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've seen plenty of hunters wearing brown carharts and being very successful year over year. I think the camo helps break the outline or pattern up , but how you move, scent, and noise seem to be the biggest factors.
View Quote
Id avoid brown like the plague, good way to catch a bullet. Im either wearing blaze orange / camo....or all camo. Although its more because my clothing is multi purpose, , surplus usually, and i coyote hunt too, and coyotes can spot you a lot better than a deer can, so camo is a must. I use the same gear year round, camo insulated coveralls, or woodland surplus goretex. I wear surplus polypro and its all brown, but i keep that shit covered up and never wear it as a outside layer.

For the record... A flannel shirt, and jeans is fine for deer hunting as deer mostly cue on movement and smell from my experience, camos not needed, but definately helps IMHO.

As was said, avoid uv briggteners in your laundry, hunting detergent usually has none and deer can see uv brighteners easily / better.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 3:45:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks guys!!

It'll be still hunting and hunting from a blind.

It's supposed to get down to the low 30's where we're hunting in TX
and I'd just as soon my insulated North Face jacket rather than buy a new one.
I figured I'd use a poncho or camo vest to break up my outline.
View Quote
I often use a cheap over sized camo sweat shirt, etc as a outer layer, if i dont have my usual stuff. Mostly woodland usgi goretex, yku can get a jacket and pants for as little as $75 bucks off ebay if you hunt for it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 3:47:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Probably ought to check Texas regulations.

Missouri requires an orange hat and a minimum number of square inches of orange on a coat or vest.  No camo orange is permitted.

Other than that and the stuff above, watch flashes from light colored skin or socks.  I wear a mix of woodland fatigue pants and variable coats with either an orange hat or a orange stocking cap over a camo fatigue cap so I have a bill.

I pull the orange off while I'm sitting if I'm on private property and in low risk of getting shot by a moron.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks guys!!

It'll be still hunting and hunting from a blind.

It's supposed to get down to the low 30's where we're hunting in TX
and I'd just as soon my insulated North Face jacket rather than buy a new one.
I figured I'd use a poncho or camo vest to break up my outline.
Probably ought to check Texas regulations.

Missouri requires an orange hat and a minimum number of square inches of orange on a coat or vest.  No camo orange is permitted.

Other than that and the stuff above, watch flashes from light colored skin or socks.  I wear a mix of woodland fatigue pants and variable coats with either an orange hat or a orange stocking cap over a camo fatigue cap so I have a bill.

I pull the orange off while I'm sitting if I'm on private property and in low risk of getting shot by a moron.
Still a risk as too many people tresspass to hunt. Id damn sure not take off the Orange while sitting on the ground.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I never worried about it much, it gets covered up with a vest anyway.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 5:21:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I used to deer hunt on ft benning, ga.  State required hunters to wear an orange hat and an orange vest. One day I was standing next to a large pine tree, smoking a cigarette, and a bullet hits the tree, right next to me. I looked around, saw nobody. Then 2 more bullets hit the tree...now I'm on the ground, yelling my head off, and a couple more bullets hit the tree. I pulled off the orange (I was wearing bdu's) got out my binoculars and looked around. Still didn't see anybody. I was hunting with my garand, and wearing a surplus garand ammo belt, fully loaded. I started shooting in the direction the shots were coming from, I shot about 50-60 rounds of FMJ's in the direction the shots were coming from, and was ready to start low crawling thru the brush in that direction, then whoever it was stopped shooting. Till then I was still yelling. I stopped shooting and yelling and made an exit out of there. Didn't put the orange back on till I got back to my truck. Never did see anybody, nor did I read anything in the paper about anybody getting shot (or shot at). I'm not saying I did the right thing, shooting back, but I'd do it again.

Another time hunting on ft benning, (in a different area) I ran into another hunter that told me he was color blind, and couldn't see the blaze orange we were required to wear. Scared the crap out of me.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 9:37:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm convinced that camo doesn't matter for deer.

What matters is motion and scent.

Just wear earth tones, try to be scent free, watch the wind, and be mindful of your motion.

Keep to the shadows, don't silhouette yourself.

I've literally walked past a deer at 15 yards. Neither of us seemed to notice the other. I think he didn't feel too threatened by me, with my focus not on him. Until I saw his antlers move. He tried to play the "you didn't see me, I'm a log" game. My arrow found it's mark on his neck.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 10:52:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 3:02:18 PM EDT
[#19]
If you have warm coats and pants you can buy a lightweight cheap camo top and bottom to go over them. Deer see movement more than anything else but you'll be less likely to be seen with camo clothing.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 3:06:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Deer don’t care about fashion. I’ve killed a lot of deer in blue jeans and a non-camo jacket.  Learn to be still and be aware of the wind and the wardrobe is irrelevant. You could go out in a chicken suit and be fine.

Deer camp fashion statements are more about hanging with people than hunting deer.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#21]
The biggest thing about hunting gear opposed to regular cold weather gear is that hunting gear tends to have a soft or suede type outer and inner fabric to keep it quiet. Your typical nylon outer shell North Face parka is going to seem like you are eating a bag of potato chips if you move in the nearly silent woods.

Other than that, the colors aren't really that important. As so many others have stated, limit movement, don't get silhouetted, and watch the wind.

If you are in a pinch and want to be "camo-ed" try to find a lightweight turkey hunting top and bottom. I have a set that is just a fabric jacket and a pair of elastic waist pants. I can put that over anything and have a head to toe camo outfit.

In the blind, make sure that you always close up the back window or flap. Light entering the back of the blind will outline you and make your movement very noticeable.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 11:41:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I just wear an old multicam uniform, blaze orange vest and hat. Like others have said just something to break up your outline. No need to go buy a bunch of Gucci hunting gear.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 10:02:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I shoot deer while sitting in a tree, sitting on the ground, or walking along a trail wearing orange from the waist up.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 10:43:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Dee can’t see orange or red colors.  They come across as “grey”.

Supposedly deer can see certain shades of blue.

What colors deer see

What researchers have found is that deer can see colors, though they don’t experience them in the same way we do. They can pick out short (blue) and middle (green) wavelength colors, but they’re less sensitive to long wavelength colors such as red and orange. “They’re essentially red-green color blind,” said Brian Murphy, a wildlife biologist and the CEO of Quality Deer Management Association. Murphy participated in research done at the University of Georgia in the 1990s,
View Quote
I like earth tones personally.  A fair amount of my gear is camo, simply because I tend to buy what’s on sale.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 1:33:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Not blue.  Deer see blue but not reds, yellows, and oranges.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 8:03:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top