#3. Winchester 70 Safari Left Hand in .375 H&H
     Browning A-Bolt Medallion Left Hand in 30-06
     Ruger Red Label O/U in 12 ga.

#4. Winchester 70 Safari Left Hand in .375 H&H
     Winchester 70 Featherweight in 7x57mm Mauser

#5. Winchester 70 Safari Left Hand in .375 H&H

On safari I the Remington 375 wore a Leupold 1.5 x 5 scope with a straight tube (small objective lens). I got rid of that scope shortly after my first safari because of the dim light gathering characteristics. I switched to Leupold M8 six power scopes on all my rifles after that. The six power really is a great and simple scope for a .375 especially for the longer shots at plains game. It was the perfect scope for the long shots in Namibia.

I always carry one extra scope set in rings and a bore sighter with spuds for the rifles I am taking. Since I don't have an extra scope sitting around in the gun safe the extra scope usually comes off of one of my AR-15 rifles and then gets put back on after the trip.

UPDATE:

#6. Browining A-Bolt LH 30-06 Last years safari. My wife and I both used the same gun. She and the gun surprised everybody by making a one shot kill on a zebra! Drilled it right through the top of the heart. I was surprised, the PH was astounded, the tracker was relieved that he did not have to spend a day or two looking for a zebra with a little hole in it, and my wife who knows nothing about guns had no idea what we were talking about.

#7.  2011.  Searcy PH Model Left Hand 470 NE Double Rifle. The plans are for an elephant hunt in Zimbabwe. I have had the rifle for several months now and I am getting very comfortable with it. It has open sights and I needed to get new glasses to help with sighting. Can't shoot iron sights like I could twenty years ago but the new glasses have made it doable.

UPDATE 2:

#8. Searcy PH Model LH 470 NE Double Rifle. Killed one elephant.

#9. Searcy PH Model LH 470 NE Double Rifle. Killed another elephant.

#10. Winchester M-70 .375 H&H Left Hand. Killed a third elephant.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 4:38:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: QuirkyP71] [#2]
CZs in 416 Rigby and 458WM, model 70s in 9.3x62, 375h&h, and 300WM.
Oh, and big bores are fun.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:37:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By Headless_T_Gunner:

I have a Mauser action I want to use for my first true "custom" rifle.....and in will be 7X57

I have a M70 in 7mm-08 and it is a great rifle, but something about 7X57.....no logic, just lore.

Link Posted: 8/3/2007 10:55:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Headless_T_Gunner] [#4]

Originally Posted By Bubbatheredneck:

Originally Posted By Headless_T_Gunner:

I have a Mauser action I want to use for my first true "custom" rifle.....and in will be 7X57

I have a M70 in 7mm-08 and it is a great rifle, but something about 7X57.....no logic, just lore.

We have a lot in common. I am currently looking for a left hand CRF Winchester in either 270 or 30-06 for my first coustom rifle. I plan to rebarrel it to 7x57 and have nice safari sights installed plus an ebony forend.

I really like 7x57. Loaded with 140 grain Swift A-Frames it is a real reliable killer on game up to and including Kudu.

I also have two Ruger #1 rifles in 7x57 one is an interntational. That is one sweet deer stand rifle.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 11:29:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Sako Safari .375 H&H, my Buffalo and Leopard rifle

My Plains Game getter, Browning Continental .30-06/20 Ga - 3".
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 9:33:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: springhill] [#6]
I usually take three:

Beretta 455 Double Rifle 470NE

Blaser R93 with a .375 H&H

Custom .300 WM

All use my handloads.  

Link Posted: 8/4/2007 9:43:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Win. 325 WSM
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 10:08:44 AM EDT
[#8]
springhill,

I am way envious of the 470

I have held a Merkel and like the way it feels.  

I have never handled a Beretta double rifle.

I have been considering a Merkel or perhaps a Searcy.

What load is yours regulated for and what kind of groups do you get?
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 10:27:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: springhill] [#9]

springhill,

I am way envious of the 470

I have held a Merkel and like the way it feels.  

I have never handled a Beretta double rifle.

I have been considering a Merkel or perhaps a Searcy.

What load is yours regulated for and what kind of groups do you get?

Thanks, Bubba, and I have really enjoyed it. I use two slightly different loads for softs and solids: 85 grains of RL-15 using Woodleigh 500gr bullets on the softs and 86.5 for the solids. These shoot at about 2,135 fps and the groupings are in the 1-1.5 inch area.
The Merkel and Searcy guns are very popular with Searcy having a lot of fans since Butch is around so that he can discuss it with you and help you get it like you want it. The ones I've seen are nice but don't quite have the "sleek" feel that the an English gun--and my Beretta-- has. My Beretta was basically built on the H&H design. For the money, however, you get a very good working gun with a Searcy.
Getcha one!
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 11:25:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bubbatheredneck] [#10]
Springhill,

My biggest problem is trying to save, at the same time, for a double rifle, M16, and a two week trip to Africa!!!!

(and dont foget the four kids that keep whining about shoes, cell phones, dresses, their own rifles and college!)

Depending on the day of the week, I want the DR more than the M16 or is it the M16 then the DR?

My son already has it in his head that he is going to Africa with me on safari for his 16th birthday ( in 7 years).  I wonder who put that idea in his head?  It will sure make it easier to get the family CFO to sign off on it, though.  But of course I need to go first to check things out.

Where are your pics from?

How many times have you been?

Link Posted: 8/4/2007 10:40:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: springhill] [#11]

Springhill,

My son already has it in his head that he is going to Africa with me on safari for his 16th birthday ( in 7 years).  I wonder who put that idea in his head?  It will sure make it easier to get the family CFO to sign off on it, though.  But of course I need to go first to check things out.

Where are your pics from?

How many times have you been?

Planning a trip with your son is something that you should really try to work out. When I was about 6 or 7 I went to a family friend’s house (Dr Charlie Holman) shortly after he had gotten his trophies back from a safari in Africa. He had gone there with his son right after he had graduated from HS. As the years went by I would hear Dr Holman tell stories about Africa and I knew that one day I wanted to go there. Later I began hearing how whenever he and his son got together (and to over 40 years later to this very day) the conversation soon turned to their African trip I realized that it was their special time together, and not the safari, that was the most important. I then knew that if I ever had a son that I wanted to do something similar.
Well, now I do have a son, and in 2005 I took him to Tanzania where he shot the leopard in the other thread. When planning that trip back in 2003, I got so into the idea that I put together another safari just for me that year to Zimbabwe.
My son and I are scheduled to go to Tanzania again next year after he finishes college.
Safaris are awesome, but almost as much fun is planning and looking back on them!
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 10:47:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Last time I went, it was my Win. Model 70 in 416 Rem Mag and a Mod. 70 375 H&H I built.

The time before that, the same 416 and a Model 70 rebarreled to 8mm Mag.

The time before that, the 416 and a Remington 700 in 8mm Mag.

Next year it will be the 416 (of course) and probably a Super Grade Model 70 in 30-06.

I clearly have to take that Four-One-Six!
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 11:04:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By springhill:

Planning a trip with your son is something that you should really try to work out. When I was about 6 or 7 I went to a family friend’s house (Dr Charlie Holman) shortly after he had gotten his trophies back from a safari in Africa. He had gone there with his son right after he had graduated from HS. As the years went by I would hear Dr Holman tell stories about Africa and I knew that one day I wanted to go there. Later I began hearing how whenever he and his son got together (and to over 40 years later to this very day) the conversation soon turned to their African trip I realized that it was their special time together, and not the safari, that was the most important. I then knew that if I ever had a son that I wanted to do something similar.
Well, now I do have a son, and in 2005 I took him to Tanzania where he shot the leopard in the other thread. When planning that trip back in 2003, I got so into the idea that I put together another safari just for me that year to Zimbabwe.
My son and I are scheduled to go to Tanzania again next year after he finishes college.
Safaris are awesome, but almost as much fun is planning and looking back on them!

'
My son just came in our bedroom to say goodnight a few seconds ago and asked "Whatcha reading about"

"About a man that took his son on safari."

"One of these days that will be our story.  Goodnight dad."

Anyway, I had a friend in high school whose father, older brothers and grandfather had all been on safari.  Amazing house full of trophies....rugs, shoulder mounts, elephant footstools. Cool house.  

Link Posted: 10/1/2009 5:40:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 68-19583] [#14]
Link Posted: 11/24/2009 8:19:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I've never gone on safari, but a fells gotta have a dream right. Here's my one and only.

Weatherby Alaskan in .375 H&H mag.

Link Posted: 6/15/2010 1:01:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tenmikemike] [#16]
Late to the game but better late than never!

CZ 550 American 9.3 x 62/ Leupold VX-3 2.5-8 x 36
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum .458 Lott/ .458 WM

Attachment Attached File

Good enuff, I think!  

Semper fi
Cpl, MOS 7234
USMC '77- '81
Link Posted: 6/16/2010 12:49:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Brown Precision Pro Hunter in 375 H&H built on a Remmy 700 Action.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 6:57:39 PM EDT
[#18]
took a browning a bolt stainless stalker in 300 wm  in 2004 loved it for plains gaim
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:51:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Tikka M695 .30-06 with Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 with #4 German reticle.  Wife's is a Tikka T3 stainless 6.5x55 with same scope.
Link Posted: 11/29/2010 11:55:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Took a Win M-70 in .375 H&H with a 1.5-5X Leupold in Talley mounts/rings, 300 gr Swift A-Frames, as my do it all...and a Rem 700, 24" HART bbl in .280 Rem, Brown Precision glass stock, 2.5-8X  with 160 gr NP's, for a few heads of small stuff.

Second trip over took a Win 70 in .338-06 , 24" Lilja bbl, 2.5-8X in Talleys, 250 gr Swift A-Frames. Also took the same Rem 700 in .280 Rem.

Between the two trips I took 26 animals....from impala/bushbuck up to Livingstone eland,wildebeest,gemsbok,kudu,etc.  ALL one shot kills too!

FN in MT
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 11:38:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Just updated my post above.
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 11:52:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Headless, congrats on the Searcy.

But the angry mob wants pics!
(ummm please)

And while they look horrible, I have read about a number of folks being very happy with a ..... red dot on their double.
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 12:18:10 PM EDT
[#23]
The Man with the Golden Gun
Link Posted: 12/5/2010 1:56:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Headless_T_Gunner] [#24]
Headless, congrats on the Searcy.

But the angry mob wants pics!
(ummm please)

And while they look horrible, I have read about a number of folks being very happy with a ..... red dot on their double.

Yes, a red dot looks horrible on a double. I shot one at the Bayou Rifles safari rifle shoot last month and it was very nice but it just did not look right on the rifle. Another guy had a double rifle with a ghost ring peep sight and I took a few shots with that also. It worked much better than the iron sights but not as well as the red dot. The peep did look very nice on the rifle and  I may go that route.

Or just use the open sights. The rifle is designed for very close range shooting and it does just fine for that. An elephant's brain is about the size of a football and that should be no problem to hit at 25 yards. I can hit a clay target every time at 25 but then again you can't see the football and it is usually moving.

If you guys don't hear from me after the first quarter of next year then you will know it did not go so well.

Link Posted: 1/5/2011 10:48:41 PM EDT
[#25]
H T G the Searcy is a work of art; your a luck man. I am working on a good O/U then hopefully dive into the double rifles.
Did you have any luck shopping around in Texas?
Good luck on the hunt.
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 7:10:33 AM EDT
[#26]
ML,
Left hand doubles are not as common as the right hand ones. After making a few posts on Accurate Reloading .com about looking for one, a couple of the members made offers to sell. I was very fortunate to find one exactly like I wanted being offered by a man who is close in stock fit dimentions to myself. So it worked out well. It was shipped from Utah.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 12:19:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hizzie] [#27]
Interarms Mark X Express in 458 Winchester Magnum.
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 12:13:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Hizzie:
http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae322/strangler366/Double%20Rifle/DSCN3671.jpg

Why, that's just purty!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 2:40:36 PM EDT
[#29]
I agree, some pretty good figured wood on that 458 WM.

My "go to" safari rifles are as follows:

Ruger 77 458 Lott RSM
Steyr 376 Scout

This covers just about all of my needs for PG or DG.

-Private Contractor-
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 1:24:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By tenmikemike:
http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae322/strangler366/Double%20Rifle/DSCN3671.jpg

Why, that's just purty!!

Accurate Reloading

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 12:34:47 AM EDT
[#31]

Why, that's just purty!!

Accurate Reloading

accuratereloading.com

Good site for african hunting.  Owner is a cousin or something to a royal family in the UAE.  
Lots of good info amongst a smattering  of sanctimonious at times jerks

Link Posted: 9/22/2011 2:53:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Yep, I've been hanging out there a couple of years myself- same user name as here. In fact the two rifles I posted on pg 1 I bought from member Atkinson out of Idaho. Said he bought them for a client/ safari that fell through and was selling at the right time (for me).
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 9:03:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Yep, I've been hanging out there a couple of years myself- same user name as here. In fact the two rifles I posted on pg 1 I bought from member Atkinson out of Idaho. Said he bought them for a client/ safari that fell through and was selling at the right time (for me).

9.3x62 and .458 Lott.  That about covers everything from plains game to elephant.  Nice combo.  I think I'd lke to find another Mark X in .338WM as my light rifle.
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 1:56:37 PM EDT
[#34]

9.3x62 and .458 Lott.  That about covers everything from plains game to elephant.  Nice combo.  I think I'd lke to find another Mark X in .338WM as my light rifle.

Hizzie,
    Depends on what your definition of a "light rifle" is. For PG the 338 WM is an awesome round, as is it for North America, especially the NorthWest in bear country. At work I have used 338 calibers in a tactical role for some time, albeit the Lapua, but 338 none the less. For hunting, though, and keeping in what is termed as "acceptable ethical ranges" you cannot go wrong with the 375 H&H, which does everything the 338 does (at modest ranges), with just a bit more authority. The 375 gives you a back up plan, if something were to happen to your 458 while on safari, and you still wished to pursue DG.  I prefer the recoil of the H&H over that of the 338, but again that is my opinion. You have have a great big bore, and few things go with that as well as a good medium bore rifle. But I have the feeling you will be hard pressed to find another with as good of wood as the stock on your 458, for it is truly an exceptional example.

-Private Contractor-
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 11:30:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Am I insane to want to take a Marlin 1895GBL on safari?

This would be with Buffalo Bore 405gr jacketed flat nose .45-70 Magnums.

m
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 12:09:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By warp_foo:

m

Maybe.  What is the bag?  405gr @ 2000fps is only 3600ft./lbs. of energy and under the 4,000 ft./lbs enengy limit imposed by several African countries for Dangerous Game.  Sectional Density (SD) is only .276.  There are several good resources out there for rifle/caliber selection in regards to hunting African game.  

Safari Rifles II by Craig Bodington
Dangerous Game Rifles by Terry Weiland
Africa's Most Dangerous by Kevin Robertson
The Perfect Shot-Africa by Kevin Robertson
African Rifles & Cartridges by John Taylor
Rifles for Africa by Gregor Woods
African Dangerous Game Cartridges by Pierre van der Walt

I would suggest a trip over to Accurate Reloading for more info.

BTW-my 458WM plinking load is a 405gr RNSP @ 2200.
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 11:13:22 PM EDT
[#37]

m

Maybe.  What is the bag?  405gr @ 2000fps is only 3600ft./lbs. of energy and under the 4,000 ft./lbs enengy limit imposed by several African countries for Dangerous Game.  Sectional Density (SD) is only .276.  There are several good resources out there for rifle/caliber selection in regards to hunting African game.  

Thanks for the reading list.

No, this isn't a "Dangerous Game" hunt. A friend of mine got a good deal on a package, and he's invited me along. I believe he'll be using a bow. I don't trust my archery skills to that extent, so it's a rifle for me.

Worst case, the guides also have suitable rifles available.

m

Link Posted: 10/27/2011 2:40:54 AM EDT
[#38]

m

Thanks for the reading list.

No, this isn't a "Dangerous Game" hunt. A friend of mine got a good deal on a package, and he's invited me along. I believe he'll be using a bow. I don't trust my archery skills to that extent, so it's a rifle for me.

Worst case, the guides also have suitable rifles available.

m

If you decide to take your 45/70 to Africa, remember to invest in good ammunition. I do not know where you are going, but call ahead and see if you can ship your ammunition ahead of time to your destination. A friend of mine recently had all of his ammunition confiscated while on layover in Germany. Even if you know the laws and are within them, you still might loose it, I know it is not right, but it happens on occasion. When in Africa you will not likely find an American lever-gun ammunition for sale. I know in Namibia you will find none. It should be effective with good bulletss and proper shot placement for any plains game, keeping in mind the limitation long-range shots.

If you want to hunt dangerous game with it, I am sure you will be able to find a guide who will do it, but I would advise against it for anything other than lion and leopard. In some places it will be legal for DG, but in some it would not be. If you want mmore information on DG hunts with a Marlin Lever, check at Garrett Cartridge and their documented safaris. Even Elephant have been taken...but I would again advise against it.

Good Luck

-PC-
Link Posted: 1/29/2012 12:50:58 PM EDT
[#39]
New "safari" rifle enroute.  I ordered a Ruger Hawkeye African in .223 as a fun trainer, price was too good to pass up.  All the features and weight of a true big-bore express rifle with none of the recoil or wallet smashing ammo prices.

Ruger Hawkeye African .223

Gonna thin the herd a bit to make room in the safe but the Alaskan in 416 Ruger keeps calling my name.  Unless Ruger decides to make one in 458WM

Link Posted: 2/2/2012 6:00:51 AM EDT
[#40]
New "safari" rifle enroute.  I ordered a Ruger Hawkeye African in .223 as a fun trainer, price was too good to pass up.  All the features and weight of a true big-bore express rifle with none of the recoil or wallet smashing ammo prices.

Gonna thin the herd a bit to make room in the safe but the Alaskan in 416 Ruger keeps calling my name.  Unless Ruger decides to make one in 458WM

Hizzie; Those really look awesome, and would be a great educational tool. Be sure to let us know how you like it. I was going to pick up a Sabati or a Merkel (couldn't decide which)  in either 470 or 500 Nitro Express. But alas, I instead have myself a Barrett M99-1 50 BMG. But I still plan on getting me a new charge stopper (505 Gibbs, 500 Jeffery, or 600 OverKill) if I can find a good deal. But a double rifle will always be my aspiring dream rifle.

-PC-
Link Posted: 2/2/2012 12:15:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By PrivateContactor:

Hizzie; Those really look awesome, and would be a great educational tool. Be sure to let us know how you like it. I was going to pick up a Sabati or a Merkel (couldn't decide which)  in either 470 or 500 Nitro Express. But alas, I instead have myself a Barrett M99-1 50 BMG. But I still plan on getting me a new charge stopper (505 Gibbs, 500 Jeffery, or 600 OverKill) if I can find a good deal. But a double rifle will always be my aspiring dream rifle.

-PC-

Thanks.  It was a steal too. Gallery of Guns had them on sale.  $731.66 OTD all fees, taxes and shipping included.  I "need" another big bore too.  Would love a .500+ but I think the Ruger Alaskan in .416R is just calling my name too loudly.  Kinda hard to overlook the practicalitty of a stainless steel/synthetic rifle for any hunting condition.  Although I do despise the snow and cold.  A proper DR is still on my "someday" list.  While I haven't seen much about them Clark Custom Guns (the 1911 guys) are building a working man's DR. http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/double_rifle.html

I'll be sure to get some pics and a range report after I pic it up this saturday.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:59:47 AM EDT
[#42]

-PC-

Thanks.  It was a steal too. Gallery of Guns had them on sale.  $731.66 OTD all fees, taxes and shipping included.  I "need" another big bore too.  Would love a .500+ but I think the Ruger Alaskan in .416R is just calling my name too loudly.  Kinda hard to overlook the practicalitty of a stainless steel/synthetic rifle for any hunting condition.  Although I do despise the snow and cold.  A proper DR is still on my "someday" list. While I haven't seen much about them Clark Custom Guns (the 1911 guys) are building a working man's DR. http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/double_rifle.html

I'll be sure to get some pics and a range report after I pic it up this saturday.

A 470 NE built on a cheap turkish-made shotgun action?

No thanks.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 1:05:39 PM EDT
[#43]
I was going to purchase a double Nitro Express rifle last month..............I had given the Sabati some thought since it was better priced by a considerable margin, and in researching I even found a model based on sleeved shotgun barrels. I decided it was better to cry once, and decided to pick up either a Merkel, or a Heym, depending on what I found with the best regulation and fit/ finish and how it felt in the hand. I was even open to either .470 or .500 Nitro. My chance to purchase it was shattered (only temporarily haha) when I ended up picking up another Barrett .50.

A double-rifle is more than just a mere rifle, so I do not mind paying a bit extra in order to a reliable and functional weapon, that is a fit to me.

-PC-
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 1:00:42 PM EDT
[#44]
I was going to purchase a double Nitro Express rifle last month..............I had given the Sabati some thought since it was better priced by a considerable margin, and in researching I even found a model based on sleeved shotgun barrels. I decided it was better to cry once, and decided to pick up either a Merkel, or a Heym, depending on what I found with the best regulation and fit/ finish and how it felt in the hand. I was even open to either .470 or .500 Nitro. My chance to purchase it was shattered (only temporarily haha) when I ended up picking up another Barrett .50.

A double-rifle is more than just a mere rifle, so I do not mind paying a bit extra in order to a reliable and functional weapon, that is a fit to me.

-PC-

After grabbing a Win70 in .375h&h recently I have already started my saving for a proper double... As much as I would love an English built rifle, I'm guessing a Merkel will be added to my safe in a year or two.  From what I've been able to find, it seems to be about the best bang for the buck in a modern double.

I had my hands on a Sabatti a while back, it was nice but it certainly didn't have the quality feel of the Rigby built double I had handled prior.  I almost bought the Sabatti, but ended up grabbing an AR50A1 instead...  I WILL own a good double at some point.  That Rigby I got to shoot was a life changer, it cost more than my first house, but it was without a doubt the nicest rifle I've ever laid hands on... A rising bite double in .470NE, I honestly compare every rifle I shoulder to how that rifle felt and I have yet to find one that feels anywhere as nice.
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 3:10:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By OiRogers:

-PC-

After grabbing a Win70 in .375h&h recently I have already started my saving for a proper double... As much as I would love an English built rifle, I'm guessing a Merkel will be added to my safe in a year or two.  From what I've been able to find, it seems to be about the best bang for the buck in a modern double.

I had my hands on a Sabatti a while back, it was nice but it certainly didn't have the quality feel of the Rigby built double I had handled prior.  I almost bought the Sabatti, but ended up grabbing an AR50A1 instead...  I WILL own a good double at some point.  That Rigby I got to shoot was a life changer, it cost more than my first house, but it was without a doubt the nicest rifle I've ever laid hands on... A rising bite double in .470NE, I honestly compare every rifle I shoulder to how that rifle felt and I have yet to find one that feels anywhere as nice.

Rigby quality is definitely first-class. Shooting one of the masterpieces is nothing short of a privilege. I am glad you had the opportunity to squeeze one off. The Merkel, or even the Heym, while not as stunning, are still every bit a work of art. I have shot a 9.3 and a .500 NE Merkel, both were fantastic shooters and felt good in the hand. Few guns point and maneuver as well as a quality double rifle. I still find the tales of Hemingway amusing. To realize a man had so much faith in his double (a .577 NE which sold recently at auction for $339,250) that he carried it on German anti-submarine patrol in his outfitted fishing boat, because he felt that it was that capable of a gun is hilarious. It does go to show a person, the almost "magical" re-assurance a SxS double provides.

I am glad that Sabati rifles are available, to have an entry price point, for those not sure about a double. The method of regulation is simply considered a short-cut, instead of the normal painstaking method, which is also why doubles cost so much. If you check the bore carefully, and get a non-dremel fixed model, that still prints well (with the included regulation target) then it is an exceptional value. Cabelas also seems to be standing behind them very well, if any problems arise or if the customer is simply not happy with their purchase. I have heard they will switch out, with a tighter regulated model, if they do not group well. The biggest plus of the Sabati is that they are regulated with easy-to-obtain in the US,  Hornady Dangerous-Game series ammo. Only down fall is that Hornady is a somewhat rare ammo, in some regions of the dark continent. And the 11 pound limit of ammo, when flying, does not provide much shooting when you use 500+ grain bullets.

Double rifles are premium priced right now. I have seen in the past, where the "popularity" of double rifles falls, and thus so do the prices. This can make retailers loose much money, because inventory sits, and it has to be marked down to ridiculously low prices, in order to move. As a collector, this type of fall, also hurts the value of one's collection. I really do not care about the value, provided it shoots good, and true. If I pay $14,000 on a Heym, or Merkel, and in a month it is only worth $5,000, I am okay with this, as it is still an item of passion for me.

While bolt-guns are more economical, and I have a few that get frequent use in dangerous game calibers, I still believe that a double is the safest way to go. The two shots are available much faster than a bolt, due to no cycle time. It may be slower for the third shot because of reloading, but can pick up the pace on the fourth, if needed. It is highly improbably that both barrels are going to lose their ability to fire, and would still leave you with a single shot in some conceivable scenarios. I also feel a certain obligation to tradition, if hunting Ele, to do so with a double. Most safari-style big bore bolt-guns can offer more powerful option than a double, and the calibers are monsters (.505 Gibbs, .500 Jeffery, .460 Wby, .470 Capstick, and even larger others). But there is just something special about the Nitro Express rounds.

-PC-
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 12:38:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Hey fellas,
Newbie here to the safari section...BUT a long time lover of the safari rifle.  I have a 35 Newton built on a 1917 Enfield and I was wondering if there are quick detach rings/mounts available for this model?  I have searched Leupold, Talley and have no luck as of yet.  Any suggestions?  Thank you!

Sean
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 12:40:14 AM EDT
[#47]
oops...sorry this should have been a topic of it's own.  Mods can move if they want.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 12:15:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Necro Post

Ruger African .223 Rem.

Runs fine with brass.  Hates steel cased stuff.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 4:12:23 AM EDT
[#49]
1st Safari - 300 Wby Mag for everything up to Cape Eland
2nd Safari- 257 Wby Mag for the little stuff and 1 Kudu   Winchester Model 70 in 416 Rigby for Buff and Leopard
3rd trip will be for Lion and I'll probably just take the 416 and a Parker shotgun for some bird hunting.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top