Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 50
Posted: 5/4/2008 9:19:14 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 9:30:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Friday I bought two pallets of wood pellets. One is stacked in my garage, the other gets picked up as soon as it comes in. For anyone in the North East, Agway has great prices: $210/ton for InstaHeat and $220/ton for New England. I'm starting to think the new pellet/corn stove I bought may be one of my best investments yet.

Today will involve picking up some buckets from grocery store. Why buy them when they give them away for free. Also, I am going to spend some time figuring out my long term water storage plan.
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 10:50:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I did 100lbs rice in mylar with o2 absorbers, bought the rice before all the craziness. Packed in free icing buckets from Sams. Also put up 20 lbs dried pintos. Bought 24 rechargeable AA's. Went to Arcola and bought 20 gallons of lamp oil from my Amish friend. I also caved in and ordered 5 more cases of the t-packs from long life foods. Great deal for good long term protein stuffs. I noticed that mre depot had redfeather butter again, thinking I might jump on a case.

Time to reorganize the pantry....
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 1:10:24 PM EDT
[#3]
howdy...just got re-started on my .308 long range ammo reloading and storage project today.
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 1:35:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AC_Doctor] [#4]
Did inventory on dry foods and rotated stock. Ran with munchkin in stroller for 6 miles.

AC

Link Posted: 5/4/2008 1:35:58 PM EDT
[#5]
sounds small but it adds up
2 cases water
6 cans corn and green beans
4 packs pop tarts ( for the kid )
2 pounds rice and 2 pounds navy beans.
1100rds .22 lr
100rds S+B 8mm mauser ( $ ouch ) i remember when that stuff was cheap lol
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 1:38:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I had my kid picking up my used brass at the range yesterday. Then some other people weren't saving their brass, so he started picking up theirs, too. I've got about 10 lbs of once fired .223 brass now, in addition to a couple bags of new brass.

I tilled my garden, and made some expansion plans. It's not a huge expansion, but it will allow me to plant more of something. Not sure what just yet. I'm going to get some plants started.

That's all for now.
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 1:46:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Bought (another) new brighter LED flashlight

The jump in technology on lights the last few years is unbelievable  I expect to be able to weld with a flashlight soon at this rate of change.
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 2:05:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Playing in the canned goods section of my stuff, bought some today at a nice price and rotating some old out into the cubboards.

Going to check over, clean up, and make a list of parts needed for a few more items today.

Basically as I run across something I have not used for a while I check it over and make sure it works.  I have one of my heater buddy propane heaters all apart on the kitchen table because it needs a line cleaned out I guess, not getting enough gas to the pilot or something.

Instead of just having stuff on a shelf that I know worked in the past I have been making sure everything is tuned up and ready to go, so while some stuff works if it is not working in tip top shape it needs some work and is getting it.

This goes back to the thread on having stuff to keep things running.  Everything needs to be running great and then I can look at what it takes to keep it that way.
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 2:27:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Burned brush.
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 2:50:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Last week or so:
-shot in the local GSSF match w/ammo given to me (trigger time is trigger time)
-ran w/kids in 1mi race
-went fishing w/best friends who are just beginning to prep (we were at a private canal and it was catch and release, si I did'nt get to learn how to clean fish)
-paid of one credit card
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 2:56:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Ground my first wheat and corn using my new Country Living Grain Mill.

Link Posted: 5/4/2008 2:58:00 PM EDT
[#12]
down loaded and printed of all sorts of stuff.
john
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#13]
hubby's reloading (9mm and 45) as I type...  
went to the gym (finally back at it after several years away - have gone 9 times in the past 2 weeks)
am updating pantry list and wills later this evening
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 4:10:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OKshooterHRS] [#14]
2 gallons of water, took the dogs to the park and walked around

Friday I drove a different route to work
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 4:11:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Went turkey hunting for the first time.  

After that went to the sportsman club and shot my AR with my buddy.

Sat around and talked about the country is going to shit with all the guys at the club.

Went to Sporting goods store and bought a nice 3x9 rimfire scope for my .22 mag.

All in all a great day.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 4:32:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Picked up:

250 .40
200 9mm
100 .45

6 or 7 cases of the tray rats to add to the the pile.
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 6:35:14 PM EDT
[#17]
What did I do? I sold a "liability" this weekend. Going to pay off the CC and put the rest in the bank. Its nice to be a minimialist. My theory is , if im not using it and havent used it (other than emergency supplies) I get rid of it, either sell it, trade it or just give it away.
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 6:48:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reb52] [#18]
Worked more on my chicken coop. Planted more tomatoes. Vacuumed sealed loads of baking soda, cereals, whole wheat flour, rice, and bunches of beans in Mason Jars. Taught my kids how to make Hardtack. They didn't like it much. It was the 1863 Civil War recipe.
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Packed in Mylar bags, soon to be stored in 6 gallon buckets:
75 pounds sugar
50 pounds rice

L
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 7:21:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Specop_007] [#20]
Learned how to fish. Well, more accurately relearned. I havent fished in 10+ years, I stopped when all of my stuff got stolen.

Anyways, went out with my oldest daughter and bought 2 poles, tackle box and a few lures. Didnt catch a damn thing besides a sun burn\. Workin on catchin a buzz now.
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 7:48:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tommytrauma] [#21]
Ran 3.55 miles in 28:23. Now I'm on shift practicing my medical skills.

Tonight, I'll go through my packing list for the upcoming urban tactics course over Memorial day weekend, and work on the handouts for the GSW treatment portion.
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 7:53:00 PM EDT
[#22]
5/4 Update:
When I made a run to pick up some seed potatoes, I saw that the nursery across the road from the vegetable greenhouse still had their bare root sale going on. I stopped in to see about an apple tree. Turns out they were having an orchard special, 5 for $125. So I snared a pollinating pair of apple trees (about 8' tall, nice head start), a couple pear trees, and a cherry tree.

That forced me to put my garden expansion/trampoline pit demolition into high gear. Then as I hmmm'd and hawed about where exactly to plant these buggers, I took down a dead tree that I've been procrastinating on to see if that opened up some new possibilities. Checking in here and updating this, because if I can avoid making a decision, I can avoid making a bad decision, right? I'm going to go back out and do some planting as soon as my wife gets home to monitor kids.

But yeah, in about an hour or so, I'll be able to say "added an orchard".
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 7:55:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Planted:

Link Posted: 5/4/2008 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#24]
new 4000 watt generator - now looking for 30amp power cable...
new STYL chain saw

On track to pay off the last credit card debt soon, looking at re-financing the home soon....

Begun diversifying our savings, cash reserves.

Pantry is full - 3+ months of food, 1 week of water (we have a well, and that's what the generator is for)

There's half a cord cut and split. But 5-6 cords standing dead in the woods...which is what the STYL is for

Now facing a quandry of what's next: get the III level vest and NV monocle....or assemble an AR piecemeal. (quandry is the price of ammo.... $650 to get a bare bones rifle only to then require ammo going for $.45 per round. For the cost of just the rifle I could get the vest, the NV, and a Mosin Nagant or Mossberg and a bandoleer of ammo....

Or we could buy a season's worth of gardening supplies, fencing, and power tools.... decisions, decisions...

Link Posted: 5/4/2008 8:21:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Specop_007] [#25]

Originally Posted By JusAdBellum:

Or we could buy a season's worth of gardening supplies, fencing, and power tools.... decisions, decisions...

Semi auto is no substitute for marksmanship.

That said, gardens, food and fencing is no substitute for no weapon!
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 8:33:12 PM EDT
[#26]
walked  with my family on a local nature trail....
lost 10 lbs this week....
purchased food prep items...mostly canning supplies,beans,bullets,molle gear,lids and rings...
changed my diet
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 8:49:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Was off Friday, so I:  Packed 800 pounds of wheat into 6 gallon buckets with O2 absorbers, 60 lbs. pasta, 50 lbs. salt, 25 lbs. sugar, 50 lbs. beans, 50 lbs. Morning Moo, and vac sealed 50 lbs. of flour.  I then went to Wally World for 5500 rounds of Fed Value Pack .22s.
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 9:00:17 PM EDT
[#28]
been getting rid of stuff..trading, selling or giving away...

picked up 50lb basamati rice, 25lb brown sugar, 50lb flour  50lb pinto beans...and a bunch of other stuff from costco...

Link Posted: 5/4/2008 10:19:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Worked again today, (about 10th Sunday in a row) so wife took kids to the range for their Youth Rifle League. She shot some as well, to stay tuned up.

Then they made and planted a pole bean tepee out of some bamboo where the chicken coop used to sit.(VERY rich soil)

Then they raked and tossed a bunch of "hay" where I bush hogged the other day, to put up for their rabbits.(they had been wanting to compare growth rates between hay fed and pellet fed litters) I'm thinking a mix will save us $$$ with the current cost of feed.
Link Posted: 5/5/2008 8:15:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Added 500rnds .223.
Finished paying for & picked up XD40.

Wife is now totally on board. "HUGE" accomplishment.

StagPower
Link Posted: 5/5/2008 9:08:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Brought home Molly the goat.
Link Posted: 5/5/2008 9:55:42 AM EDT
[#32]
ak-47, case of ammo, 10 magazines, kaito 1102 radio, and various other supplies
Link Posted: 5/5/2008 10:49:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Bought a house last week :-)

Bank-owned, has been vacant for a while -- lots of maintenance gardening (read: tall grass).  So yesterday I started a compost pile:

There has still been some overnight frost, but I'm hoping in the next week or two to start a vegetable garden.  Still in the planning stages, but with the late cold I don't feel too far behind.
Link Posted: 5/5/2008 10:56:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Trying to grow something in my garden.  Key word, trying
Link Posted: 5/5/2008 11:09:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Picked up a 20 inch flattop upper complete at the gun show and an A2 stock.
Gathered necessary parts to "customize" it slightly. Should be finished tonight and boresighted.

Bought three cases of water from Kroger @ 3 for $10.00 was a good deal on 16 oz bottles. Now have 5 cases of 16's and one and a half cases of 10oz. We have a well....but, I need to get a genny

Moved the pine tree we cut down as it was too close to the well (roots). Will chop it up and store for whatever. i think it would make good foundation/bulkheading material for the pond I'm planning to build and stock in the front acreage.

Made sure ATV would start etc.

Finished my brother's will and sent it and two good CRKT knives to him.

Worked on debt elimination budget with SO.

Next Saturday will attempt to trade in my trailblazer for a small Pickup. Need a truck and better mileage would not hurt. Thinking Tacoma or Frontier.

Link Posted: 5/5/2008 11:51:12 AM EDT
[#36]
1.) Planned a few tomato plants in hopes I have a green thumb, compared to last year.

2.) My brother was headed to the North CMP store, so had him pick me up a case of 30-06 for $120.00

3.) Off to Dad’s house to do some reloading, complete 300 rounds for .223

4.) Started up the Generator and let it run while I mowed the lawn
Link Posted: 5/5/2008 5:31:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Training/etc.:
- Worked out (cardio) - time to start losing the extra ~10-15lbs
- Signed up for CERT training

Gear:
- handheld transceiver (VX-7R)
- GPS (courtesy of REI sale)
- Fenix (i.e. bright) flashlight

Food:
- instant mashed potatoes
- dried fruit
- MREs
Link Posted: 5/5/2008 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Tonight we, as a family, are going over evac routes, local and not so local meeting places, and a family communications plan. Next Monday we are starting our 72+ hour kit.
Link Posted: 5/5/2008 7:23:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: azsavage] [#39]
The experiment continues.  After doing this with rice, I thought I would try the same with white flour.  Today I took 25 lbs of flour I had in the freezer and divided it into 5 - 1 gallon Ziploc bags.  I left one corner of each bag open to let air out and then placed the zip lock full of flour in a seal a meal bag and vacuum sealed it.  It seems to have worked very well.  The pump compresses it down to be hard as "rock" but the inner bag keeps the flour from being sucked into the air pump as it draws the air out.  I will have to do another batch now.  The only problem is that it looks like I have 5 big bags of coke in my stash.  I'm sure cops would take a second look if they saw it.

Not the best pic but this is 5 lbs of flour vacuum sealed:
Link Posted: 5/5/2008 8:55:49 PM EDT
[#40]
10 pounds of 7018  5/32" welding rod! I am stocking welding stuff In case of needed makeshift vehicle armor or repairing trasnmission cases, gearboxes or to build with pretty much any metal.
Link Posted: 5/5/2008 9:13:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Just finished our family meeting about our evac routes etc...
Kids want to plant a garden. So I guess I am off to the Home Depot or Lowes in the morning to get seeds.
Link Posted: 5/5/2008 10:00:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Not today but in the last couple of weeks I went turkey hunting for the first time, bought 120lbs of rice and got my eyes fixed(LASIK).
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 12:39:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Working on the main bed for the garden.Finally broke down and rented a tiller.It really cut down on the amount of weeds to be removed from the tilled plot.

Still had to break the ground up the old fashion way.Man I miss being 21 and bullet proof.
Now its on hands and knees to get the root bulbs of the weeds out.Half way there.Then its time to spread the BS. All 500 pounds.

Most of the squash beds are in along with the beans.

Still coming to grips with a 4000rd center fire ammo order. But hey what can you do?
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 8:03:16 PM EDT
[#44]

Originally Posted By jake36:
... got my eyes fixed(LASIK).

thats on my list of things to do, probably one of my biggest

today i traded for a couple of old .22's, a Marlin model 70 and a remington scoremaster with weaver scope.  gotta get them cleaned up and see how they shoot.
also got a gg&g single point plate for my 870
tonight im just staying home with the little man, but thats important too!
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 8:10:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Got about 25 5 gallon buckets with lids from Wal-Mart.  I lucked out as they even cleaned them.
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 8:26:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 9:39:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reb52] [#47]
Vacuumed sealed more beans and flour in Mason Jars. Collected the eggs from the Hen house. Watered the garden and pulled the cards from all the game cameras. Deer and turkey galore. Spread fertilizer under the big oaks hoping to have more acorns this year to attract wildgame this fall all that after a 13 hour shift in Oak Ridge.
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 9:47:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Ordered a Country Living grain mill and was notified that my grain will be delivered this week.
400#(half HR & HW) for me and 600# for my girlfriend.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 10:19:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 10:20:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MJay] [#50]
Within the past few days I have...

-realized I am completely lacking in preps and switched gears from a little here and there to ASAFP
- talked with girlfriend about preps and plans(she still thinks I am a little paranoid but, she is for it.) I even have her talked into doing some REAL camping for survival practice. She says she wants to shoot a rabbit and eat it. God I love her!
-getting rid of "toys" and stuff I don't need or want for things that I do need
-mounted a recently aquired Trijicon RX01-NSN reflex sight to my AK

-bought a bike to ride to work instead of driving gas-guzzling truck
-shamefully bought pack at china-mart for finally starting BOB
-bought small home first aid kit
and last but not least, voted in IN primary today
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 50
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top