What Did You Do Today To Prep? Part 2 (Page 1 of 50)
Posted: 5/4/2008 9:19:14 AM EDT
|
The old thread hit the 100 page limit. Here's a new one. Have fun. |
Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
|
Friday I bought two pallets of wood pellets. One is stacked in my garage, the other gets picked up as soon as it comes in. For anyone in the North East, Agway has great prices: $210/ton for InstaHeat and $220/ton for New England. I'm starting to think the new pellet/corn stove I bought may be one of my best investments yet. Today will involve picking up some buckets from grocery store. Why buy them when they give them away for free. Also, I am going to spend some time figuring out my long term water storage plan. |
Took a look from higher ground, Nowhere to go but down.
|
I did 100lbs rice in mylar with o2 absorbers, bought the rice before all the craziness. Packed in free icing buckets from Sams. Also put up 20 lbs dried pintos. Bought 24 rechargeable AA's. Went to Arcola and bought 20 gallons of lamp oil from my Amish friend. I also caved in and ordered 5 more cases of the t-packs from long life foods. Great deal for good long term protein stuffs. I noticed that mre depot had redfeather butter again, thinking I might jump on a case. Time to reorganize the pantry.... |
|
I had my kid picking up my used brass at the range yesterday. Then some other people weren't saving their brass, so he started picking up theirs, too. I've got about 10 lbs of once fired .223 brass now, in addition to a couple bags of new brass. I tilled my garden, and made some expansion plans. It's not a huge expansion, but it will allow me to plant more of something. Not sure what just yet. I'm going to get some plants started. That's all for now. |
.308. Turning cover into concealment since 1952.
|
Playing in the canned goods section of my stuff, bought some today at a nice price and rotating some old out into the cubboards. Going to check over, clean up, and make a list of parts needed for a few more items today. Basically as I run across something I have not used for a while I check it over and make sure it works. I have one of my heater buddy propane heaters all apart on the kitchen table because it needs a line cleaned out I guess, not getting enough gas to the pilot or something. Instead of just having stuff on a shelf that I know worked in the past I have been making sure everything is tuned up and ready to go, so while some stuff works if it is not working in tip top shape it needs some work and is getting it. This goes back to the thread on having stuff to keep things running. Everything needs to be running great and then I can look at what it takes to keep it that way. |
|
Last week or so: -shot in the local GSSF match w/ammo given to me (trigger time is trigger time) -ran w/kids in 1mi race -went fishing w/best friends who are just beginning to prep (we were at a private canal and it was catch and release, si I did'nt get to learn how to clean fish) -paid of one credit card |
|
hubby's reloading (9mm and 45) as I type... went to the gym (finally back at it after several years away - have gone 9 times in the past 2 weeks) am updating pantry list and wills later this evening |
Proud Member of Randstad's Militia ***Go, 1-91!*** Hoo-ah!
IMHO everyone should wake the hell up and put their damn aluminum hats on. - FlatlinesUp
IMHO everyone should wake the hell up and put their damn aluminum hats on. - FlatlinesUp
|
Went turkey hunting for the first time. After that went to the sportsman club and shot my AR with my buddy. Sat around and talked about the country is going to shit with all the guys at the club. Went to Sporting goods store and bought a nice 3x9 rimfire scope for my .22 mag. All in all a great day. |
|
What did I do? I sold a "liability" this weekend. Going to pay off the CC and put the rest in the bank. Its nice to be a minimialist. |
There is no level playing field in life ~ Para069
| Worked more on my chicken coop. Planted more tomatoes. Vacuumed sealed loads of baking soda, cereals, whole wheat flour, rice, and bunches of beans in Mason Jars. Taught my kids how to make Hardtack. They didn't like it much. It was the 1863 Civil War recipe. |
|
Learned how to fish. Well, more accurately relearned. I havent fished in 10+ years, I stopped when all of my stuff got stolen. Anyways, went out with my oldest daughter and bought 2 poles, tackle box and a few lures. Didnt catch a damn thing besides a sun burn\. Workin on catchin a buzz now.
|
|
Ran 3.55 miles in 28:23. Now I'm Tonight, I'll go through my packing list for the upcoming urban tactics course over Memorial day weekend, and work on the handouts for the GSW treatment portion. |
"Eventually, I managed to use the squirrel to break down the door..."
|
5/4 Update: When I made a run to pick up some seed potatoes, I saw that the nursery across the road from the vegetable greenhouse still had their bare root sale going on. I stopped in to see about an apple tree. Turns out they were having an orchard special, 5 for $125. So I snared a pollinating pair of apple trees (about 8' tall, nice head start), a couple pear trees, and a cherry tree. That forced me to put my garden expansion/trampoline pit demolition into high gear. Then as I hmmm'd and hawed about where exactly to plant these buggers, I took down a dead tree that I've been procrastinating on to see if that opened up some new possibilities. Checking in here and updating this, because if I can avoid making a decision, I can avoid making a bad decision, right? I'm going to go back out and do some planting as soon as my wife gets home to monitor kids.But yeah, in about an hour or so, I'll be able to say "added an orchard". |
.308. Turning cover into concealment since 1952.
|
new 4000 watt generator - now looking for 30amp power cable... new STYL chain saw On track to pay off the last credit card debt soon, looking at re-financing the home soon.... Begun diversifying our savings, cash reserves. Pantry is full - 3+ months of food, 1 week of water (we have a well, and that's what the generator is for There's half a cord cut and split. But 5-6 cords standing dead in the woods...which is what the STYL is for Now facing a quandry of what's next: get the III level vest and NV monocle....or assemble an AR piecemeal. (quandry is the price of ammo.... $650 to get a bare bones rifle only to then require ammo going for $.45 per round. For the cost of just the rifle I could get the vest, the NV, and a Mosin Nagant or Mossberg and a bandoleer of ammo.... Or we could buy a season's worth of gardening supplies, fencing, and power tools.... decisions, decisions... |
Semi auto is no substitute for marksmanship. That said, gardens, food and fencing is no substitute for no weapon! |
| Was off Friday, so I: Packed 800 pounds of wheat into 6 gallon buckets with O2 absorbers, 60 lbs. pasta, 50 lbs. salt, 25 lbs. sugar, 50 lbs. beans, 50 lbs. Morning Moo, and vac sealed 50 lbs. of flour. I then went to Wally World for 5500 rounds of Fed Value Pack .22s. |
Celeritas, Impetus, Violentia
"Most people are like Slinkys...pretty much useless, but still fun to laugh at when you push them down the stairs."
"Most people are like Slinkys...pretty much useless, but still fun to laugh at when you push them down the stairs."
|
Worked again today, (about 10th Sunday in a row Then they made and planted a pole bean tepee out of some bamboo where the chicken coop used to sit.(VERY rich soil) Then they raked and tossed a bunch of "hay" where I bush hogged the other day, to put up for their rabbits.(they had been wanting to compare growth rates between hay fed and pellet fed litters) I'm thinking a mix will save us $$$ with the current cost of feed. |
Firearms, like some posters, are just tools.
|
Picked up a 20 inch flattop upper complete at the gun show and an A2 stock. Gathered necessary parts to "customize" it slightly. Should be finished tonight and boresighted. Bought three cases of water from Kroger @ 3 for $10.00 was a good deal on 16 oz bottles. Now have 5 cases of 16's and one and a half cases of 10oz. We have a well....but, I need to get a genny Moved the pine tree we cut down as it was too close to the well (roots). Will chop it up and store for whatever. i think it would make good foundation/bulkheading material for the pond I'm planning to build and stock in the front acreage. Made sure ATV would start etc. Finished my brother's will and sent it and two good CRKT knives to him. Worked on debt elimination budget with SO. Next Saturday will attempt to trade in my trailblazer for a small Pickup. Need a truck and better mileage would not hurt. Thinking Tacoma or Frontier. |
Type 07 FFL, Class II SOT
Northwest Houston Tactical Inc
Northwest Houston Tactical Inc
|
1.) Planned a few tomato plants in hopes I have a green thumb, compared to last year. 2.) My brother was headed to the North CMP store, so had him pick me up a case of 30-06 for $120.00 3.) Off to Dad’s house to do some reloading, complete 300 rounds for .223 4.) Started up the Generator and let it run while I mowed the lawn |
|
Training/etc.: - Worked out (cardio) - time to start losing the extra ~10-15lbs - Signed up for CERT training Gear: - handheld transceiver (VX-7R) - GPS (courtesy of REI sale) - Fenix (i.e. bright) flashlight Food: - instant mashed potatoes - dried fruit - MREs |
"I say go out with your dick hard, on fire, at 130 mph." - kaizer27
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin 1755
|
Working on the main bed for the garden.Finally broke down and rented a tiller.It really cut down on the amount of weeds to be removed from the tilled plot. Still had to break the ground up the old fashion way.Man I miss being 21 and bullet proof. ![]() Now its on hands and knees to get the root bulbs of the weeds out.Half way there.Then its time to spread the BS. All 500 pounds. Most of the squash beds are in along with the beans. Still coming to grips with a 4000rd center fire ammo order. |
thats on my list of things to do, probably one of my biggest today i traded for a couple of old .22's, a Marlin model 70 and a remington scoremaster with weaver scope. gotta get them cleaned up and see how they shoot. also got a gg&g single point plate for my 870 tonight im just staying home with the little man, but thats important too! |
|
Taking advantage of the 40% off sale at REI, my order for a MSR Minworks (one of my favorite ceramics) and impulse buy since it was $11 Glock Shovel shipped today. I received my replacement #10 can of Whole Eggs from Honeyville today and will have to pack up the wrong can Egg Whites and ship it out tomorrow. I'm still waiting on delivery my next order from Honeville, splurging here two #10 cans of Chocolate milk substitute makes 26 gallons, 10lbs of biscuit/pancake mix, and 200 O2 absorbers. Going to try something different. The 5 gallon pails and mylar is just too darn big and resealing a PITA. I'm going to store this in large glass air tight jars with 02 absorbers. That way I can use the stuff without breaking out two or three months worth. Other than that, took a nice long motorcycle ride. I love the mountains this time of year. Going up and down in altitude the shades of greens are infinite and different plants flowering at different altitudes. Tj |
"We prepare so we don't have to go to the Superdome!"
| Vacuumed sealed more beans and flour in Mason Jars. Collected the eggs from the Hen house. Watered the garden and pulled the cards from all the game cameras. Deer and turkey galore. Spread fertilizer under the big oaks hoping to have more acorns this year to attract wildgame this fall all that after a 13 hour shift in Oak Ridge. |
Hey Reb, how you been doing buddy? You need to come see us at Coal Creek in June. Its in the tacked thread. Tj |
"We prepare so we don't have to go to the Superdome!"
I'm going to go back out and do some planting as soon as my wife gets home to monitor kids.
For the cost of just the rifle I could get the vest, the NV, and a Mosin Nagant or Mossberg and a bandoleer of ammo.... 



