Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 50
Posted: 2/21/2007 5:42:04 PM EDT
I am a firm believer that prepping is a way of life and not just a once in a while thing.

I believe that for the most part it will be the small stuff that will make a difference when the balloon goes up.

What I would like to do is to sdtart a thread where we can offer what we did on a daily basis and share amongst ourselves some of the things that we might overlook.

Let's list out what we did today to prep. Did you make a purchase? Test some equipment? or read an informative article somewhere?

Share it with us.

Today I emptied 5 gallons of storage fuel (3 yrs old) into my CR-V. I refilled the fuel with Stabil and added another 5 gallon can. This gives me 20 gallons and now all are fresh. I was pleased that this fuel lasted this long, however next time I'll rotate every year instead of three.

I received my topo maps of a possible BOL from USGS today and am now in the process of waterproofing them, should take me a few days to complete this job. I'm using a product called Map Seal from Aquseal, and it does a good job. I can get about 4-5 maps done with each bottle.

What did you do today?
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 5:52:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RckClimber] [#1]
I got a roll of those new $1 coins, so $25 more of small amounts for the cash stash.  Up to almost $1000, which is good for me.  I'll hopefully be ordering a pistol soon.

ETA:  I got a kelty kids carrier a couple of days ago, it wasn't today, but I think it should count...

EDIT 4/22/08  Wow, it's amazing to go back and see what I've accomplished in just one year.  Also, I had no clue I was the first poster on this thread!
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 5:57:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a new sleeping bag, see my new thread.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 6:06:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Vac packed some single serving packets of rice with a chicken bullion cube in each. Then threw em in the BOB. I learned that you shouldn't just put the whole buillion cube in, the first pack it tore a little hole in it with the corner of the cube. So I took it out and crushed it up into little pieces.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 6:11:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I worked.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 6:15:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Bought more deodorant, another toothbrush, two more gallons of drinking water and another pack of Bic lighters- all things I like to keep a couple extras of on hand (darn toothbrushes are expensive .  I wanted to buy another box of .380 to replace the box I shot up, but they were out of the value pack.  

I cleaned the inside of the truck including the dirty windshield (hey that’s important to my survival).  I also scheduled it for servicing (four wheel drive is binding- stupid new Tacomas ; glad it’s still under warranty).
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 6:16:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By macman37:
I worked.

+1 assuring we don't have a financial SHTF is job #1

Might go geocaching with the wife tonight to get out and go for a walk.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 6:41:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I went to the S&M parlor dentist and had 1 wisdom tooth and 1 molar pulled and 3 cavitys filled. Better to do it now than doing it later under a tree with a Kbar.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 7:21:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By 6of1:
I went to the S&M parlor dentist and had 1 wisdom tooth and 1 molar pulled and 3 cavitys filled. Better to do it now than doing it later under a tree with a Kbar.

That's a great point.  I think getting our health in check and preparing to avoid this type of things in a SHTF situation is too often overlooked.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I went to the auction I go to every week and bought a very nice Northface sleeping bag. It's the goliath model which is aimed at large guys and rated at 0-32 deg. I believe. Is in excellent condition with no problims and I got it for $10. I had been just thinking I should get a good sleeping bag too.
With it was two military intermediate [think that was what they were labled] temp bags that I passed on and now I sort of wish i had bought them sincethey only sold for $5 the pair and they didn't look like they had ever been used.
Also got a blacksmith table forge for $10 that is missing some parts but I have the parts to put it straight. I've got more then a few of forges but always somthing good to have to sell or trade

...Talked to a friend about a Colt 22 target revolver he has and think I am going to buy it off him this weekend......Todd
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 7:46:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By 6of1:
I went to the S&M parlor dentist

Cycling the water out of the 55-gallon barrels.  Usually do it every 6 to 8 months.

Link Posted: 2/21/2007 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Worked and thought about how to build my saving up quicker.......still thinking

Link Posted: 2/21/2007 8:01:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HK94dude] [#12]
Went grocery shopping and spent an extra $10 on canned food.  I usually buy whatever is on sale.  Today I found generic chili and pork and beans.

Steve

edit:  Damn, after looking at what I bought, I should have also got some TP
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 8:10:16 PM EDT
[#13]
(new guy here. absolutely love this site.  learning lots)

Installed a peep-hole on the front door.

Ordered 5 cinch-tight blowout bandages (last 5 from Tactical Response)
- 1 in my car
- 1 in her car
- 1 in the range bag
- 1 in the home FAK
- 1 for practice
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 8:12:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Split a lot of wood.

Bought some LED lanterns.

Tended my onion seedlings.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 9:21:17 PM EDT
[#15]
+1 on working.  Also put a ew more $$$s into savings.
Worked out.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 9:40:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Worked out, put away 15 gal of diesel, and found a great deal on a 100 gal tank with manual pump.  Sold a bunch of old junk to fund a big MH purchase.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 9:48:02 PM EDT
[#17]
fixed one of my 1911's that like to hang up on the feed ramp. ie polished feed ramp and throated and polished the barrel a little. i hand cycled and feed from lock back 100 rounds no hangups
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 9:57:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Stopped by and cashed in my rain check at Dicks Sporting Goods for a couple extra boxes of .223. Buying a little at a time.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 10:05:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Harrowed one of my garden areas. Harrowed a new area I plan to put a garden into. Spread lime on the new area. Worked on the shelter in the pig pen I'm building. Split some wood we cut the other day (for next year or the year after). Bred one of the rabbits, prepped another one's cage for her having babies one of these next nights. Worked in the orchard a bit.

Doesn't playing Fallout 2 count as prepping?
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 10:08:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Picked up a new cast iron pan (yesterday)
Worked and went to additional training today.  can never have too much training
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 10:09:37 PM EDT
[#21]
-Went to work today - "I'm going to be a happy idiot and struggle for the legal tender....."

-Worked out - swimming

-Ordered some G-17 mags while I can still afford them

-Did some price shopping on ammo on lunch break

-Sat out on the front porch in the dark for awhile enjoying the weather
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 10:24:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Reloaded more training ammo.

took delivery of door for safe room.

Wired up additional outdoor lighting for security.

Ops
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 10:29:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By Ops:
Reloaded more training ammo.

took delivery of door for safe room.

Wired up additional outdoor lighting for security.

Ops

We expect a full, detailed report on that safe room when its done.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 10:41:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Orderd a Knoxx spceops stock for my REM 870 Marine Magnum, and purchased 2 boxes of 300 Win Mag rounds. I cant waite for the stock to come in, and damn that 300 is some expensive sXXt.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 11:19:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#25]
Waited for my EU2000i generator that didn't show up as expected.
Ate leftovers for lunch (economizing)
reloaded some 77 grain noslers
surfed here for great ideas
rotated my MWC's with fresh water.
bought some AA batteries at Lowes

You mentioned that you rotated 3 year old fuel.  Why wait that long?  you're gonna burn fuel in that amount of time, plus I'm cheap and don't always like how stabilized fuel runs in some things.  I take one of my 5 cans every 2-3 weeks, dump it in the truck's tank and refill it with fresh.

Also those waterproofing products are pretty good but do both sides!
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 11:22:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Poured another 15 gal. of last year's gas into the car. Will be replacing blitz cans with better sealed metal cans.

F
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 11:51:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Cleaned the guns that I practiced with last weekend.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 2:54:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Played with my new Ham radio. Found the local police freqs, and got used to the other freqs to see what's on where and what I could pick up. Studied for my Tech license.

Oh, and watched Jericho...
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:00:14 AM EDT
[#29]
UPS just dropped off 8 cases of #10 cans and 3 boxes of pouches.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:03:13 AM EDT
[#30]
I ran 3miles
Put 800rds of RG Desertmix on the truck
Cleaned the 240B

....Thats it for the day, I am going to veg and surf the internet for the rest of the day.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 6:01:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: protus] [#31]
woke up at 5 am, ran for 15 minutes on the tread mill, another 15 on the bike.
finished my 2nd batch of dehydrated fruit and jerky i made.
cleaned, and seasoned the cast iron muffin pan i got fer 5$
rode my bicycle to work(everyday)
bought 20lbs of assorted beans
set up the wifes line 2 gear
Bought some smartwool knock off socks at target, 4 pair ofr my BOB/BOV/BOL
bought 4 bread pans
3- natural cooking cook books.
bought some natural herbs for some teas/tinctures
bought 1- natural healing book
re-read some of my foxfire #2

i do something 1-3 times a week.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 6:35:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Just having my first cup of coffee and trying to figure out my day before I go to work.

Still working on coating my topo maps, the Map SDeal is taking longer than I had anticipated and I'm using more than I figured. I'm doing two coats on the front of the map and one on the back. At this rate, I'll use 1 bottle for 3 maps, so I'm going to need to reorder more. I'll take the Ranger Joes catalog to work and see if there's anything else I need to order with this.

Still waiting for my 4pc pack rod from Cabelas and my Safepacker holster to arrive, hopefully they'll come in today.

I picked up a couple of books and a dvd on knife fighting, I need to start reading this material.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 7:42:11 AM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By Tim_McBride:
I ran 3miles
Put 800rds of RG Desertmix on the truck
Cleaned the 240B

....Thats it for the day, I am going to veg and surf the internet for the rest of the day.

Mighty pertinent activities.  Stay safe!
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 8:59:23 AM EDT
[#34]
I read up on two Preparedness related subjects.  I made plans to attend a "funshow" with a co-worker.  During the drive there and back I will be trying to "jump start" his prep level.  It shouldn't be too hard.  He is an intelligent young man who realizes that the world is getting more "interesting" each day.

Medicguy
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 9:53:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Within the past few days:

-Performed corrosion prevention on my utility trailer.  This remains a work in progress...

-Upgraded mobile commo setup by way of installing an antenna tuner in the BOV.

-Significantly increased stock of .22lr ammo.  

-Performed monthly recharge of all:  deep cycle, gell cell, and -817 battery packs.

This weekend I'll continue with work on the trailer.  Have been carefully removing old paint and corrosion, as well as checking tire condition.  Haven't renewed the tags in seven years, so will make an effort to do that.

While I'm at it, will probably drain the old fuel out of the generator.

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 10:28:45 AM EDT
[#36]
I got a treadmill last weekend.  I love it, it's a lot of fun.

Today I'm leaving work early to sight in my new AR rifle I built a while back!  
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 11:14:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Well, this is more of a weekly update...
-Bought a marlin 336 30-30 lever action at the fun show. Spent some time pollishing and lubing things to make the action work smoooottthhhh.
-Bought 2 more mags for my Kel-tec sub2k 9mm carbine
-Got a friend interested in preparing! Working out a plan with him so he doesnt waste money, scare his family, etc.
-Ordered new flashlights, Fenix LOD ce for daily carry, and Fenix L2D ce for the BoB.
-Did some more research into low power lighting for the home, and more research into tactical flashlights for my guns.
-Researched shotguns, came up with a plan to afford one.
-Bought another weeks worth of food.
-Added another half paycheck to the emergency fund. Almost feel comfortable now.
-Did some BoV research, thinking of trading my 2005 Trailblazer for something a little more offroadable, like a Tacoma. I would most likely lose some money on the deal, but I think I would be ok with that.
-Worked out some "security features" to add to my current living space, that hopefully wont be noticed by my sheeple housemate. She's my disabled sister. She gets upset when I talk about security, preparedness, etc. Any obvious security measures will result in arguments, since its her house. Geez, I pay most of the bills, but its her place.
-Read these boards to keep me informed and motivated. Thanks alot people!
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 11:36:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Yesterday:  

UPS dropped off 6 NATO gas cans  

UPS GUY "These are some big boxes..What cha' get?"  

ME "Some camping supplies...and a couple of gas cans for the *next* power outage"

UPS "Cool,  I like to camp too"  "Oh yeah,  I got a generator too.  That last outage was a real pain in the neck.  I ran mine for 5 days before power came back"

Cleaned all the terminals,  re-did the wiring with new #4 lugged cables and hooked  up two more deep cycle batteries bringing the total bank to a whopping 450 Amp-hrs.    (flea power,  I know...gotta start somewhere)

Pulled the mains and went off-grid overnight.  Still had 12.2 volts in the bank 14 hours later. Not too bad -- lights, deep freeze, laptop all happy
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 12:49:53 PM EDT
[#39]
-got 2 cases of military MRE's case A & B
-finished the GHB
-going to Sports Authority to pick up those 12 led lanterns for $10
-ordered an Aker B21 leather belt (should be here today)
-filled up a few more 2 liter bottles with high quality H2O
- finished reading "The Road"
-pick up something called the WaterBob. It a huge 100 gallon pouch that goes into your bath tub. It even has it's own pump.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm at work, so not much yet. But, I've gone over the weekly grocery store flyers and picked out all the good buy 1 get 1 free deals on food storage items. Each week I do this and literally get twice as much food for the money normally spent. You have to be patient because there aren't many items listed this way, but on my $20.00 a week ration for storage food, it adds up. Tonight I'll pick it all up.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:31:29 PM EDT
[#41]
EU2000I showed up today.

-read manual (I know I know, but you're not getting my man card)
-filled with oil
-filled with gasoline
-started unit on porch and for want of electrical sucking device, I plugged in the vacuum and took off the top layer of the gravel in the house.  I ran the unit for about a 1/2 hour and shut down.  Checked the oil and it was a little darker than new.  BTW I used 5w-30 which just fit in the temperature spectrum as I was out of 10w-30.  I have lots of 5w-30 for the truck and the atv. I know not to use this oil in it if it gets warmer.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:48:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Synthetic Mobil 1 !

All my gas engines use it.  Flows cold,  doesn't turn to sludge at high temps.  Can't go wrong.  By the way,  Enjoy!   That's a great little genset.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:25:20 PM EDT
[#43]
I bought a tire repair kit for $9.95. Has hand tools for reaming, a selection of plugs, patches, tool for patching, glue, air gauge, valve cores and tool for them all in a nice little case for my BOV. I found a Jewel/Osco store going out of business, and got 2 Wisconsin Atlas Topographic maps. All Wisconsin countys with GPS grids for the price of one  $19.95 for both... One for my sons truck, other for me. Now I can take apart the old typo map w/o GPS and laminate the most used pages.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:10:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Rebuilt another Coleman lantern.
Drained the gas out of the generator and replaced it with fresh gas and Stabil. I do this twice a year.
Tested the generator by starting it up and letting it run for ten minutes. I do this monthly.

Best Regards,
HTG
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 7:23:29 PM EDT
[#45]
My pack rod and holster didn't show up today...grrr! I'll check the UPS link and if I don't have them tomorrow I'll have the companies do a search.

I ordered some more Map Seal today, along with a map case, protractor and other mapping odds and ends.

I seal another two maps tonight. USGS topo maps are excellent in their detail.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#46]
1) Cleaned and oiled the new 870 I got with my bonus
2) Inventory and check-date canned provisions / made buy list to replenish
3) Checked medical stocks for expiration dates.
4) Made list of gear I want firearms
    a) AR mags
    b) LULA
    c) Cleaning Supplies
    d) parts
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 8:29:38 PM EDT
[#47]

Originally Posted By Headless_T_Gunner:
Rebuilt another Coleman lantern.
Drained the gas out of the generator and replaced it with fresh gas and Stabil. I do this twice a year.
Tested the generator by starting it up and letting it run for ten minutes. I do this monthly.

Best Regards,
HTG

I noticed your monthly test on the generator. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I bought one last spring ahead of our hurricane season and haven't fired it up yet. I'm going to test it this weekend, besides the normal adding of oil, is there anything else I should do to her before I start it up ?
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:06:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FS_653] [#48]
Today:

4 boxes of 4 dinners for two Velveeta Shells and Cheese (just add water )
3 cans 12.5oz ham chunks
2 cans 14oz chicken chunks
2 1L containers of soy sauce
6 cans Spam with cheese

This kind of shopping happens on a daily basis around here... The pantry is so full that I have to rearrange just to fit a couple of new items in

One for the kitchen and two for the pantry is usually the rule (most easily done when sales prevail). All of today's buys went into the pantry.

c0

98% of the population is asleep. The other 2% are staring around in complete amazement, abject terror, or both.
falloutshelter653.org
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:40:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Ran on treadmill for 35 minutes everyday for the past 7 days. Getting back into shape, survival classes on the way.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:50:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Not really for survival, but I was certified on a backhoe/excavator today, and more importantly, got half a day of practice on it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 50
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top