Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2022 1:11:05 PM EDT
I need to seriously reduce the number of squirrels on my block; they are destroying my recently re-seeded areas in my yard.
Need to use live traps to give two of my four neighbors the appearance that I'm being "humane."
Obvious answer I come up with for bait is corn.  Anything work better?  I have access to acorns too if those work better than corn.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 1:14:51 PM EDT
[#1]
They eat pecans in my neighberhood.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 1:54:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Peanut butter with corn stuck on it
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 2:20:42 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 for Peanut butter, use the cheap oily stuff.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 2:23:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Walnuts
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 2:25:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I just use bird seed
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 2:28:40 PM EDT
[#6]
-Put in a bird feeder.
- Buy pellet rifle.
- Buy case of beer.
Sunday funday
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 2:50:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By asystejs:
+1 for Peanut butter, use the cheap oily stuff.
View Quote

Yep, they're like junkies for that stuff.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 5:34:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Delta10mm:
-Put in a bird feeder.
- Buy pellet rifle.
- Buy case of beer.
Sunday funday
View Quote

If I could shoot them easily I wouldn't have to trap them.
Two of my backyard neighbors are not comfortable with me openly shooting critters in the yard.  I've already had a discussion with them when it came to rabbits this spring.  They aren't opposed to these animals disappearing, just not comfortable with the lack of backstop from my yard to theirs.
I'm already on the city Animal Control naughty list for shooting rabbits at my previous house and getting turned in as well so I'd rather just take care of the live trapped critters in my garage.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 7:48:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Seastate:
View Quote

Pecans are numero uno.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 7:48:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Seastate:
View Quote

Pecans are numero uno.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:52:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Pretty much whatever you got handy that’s plant based. They’ll get down on PB, crackers, nuts, bird seed, etc.

Don’t use cat/dog food unless you want coons and possums.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 8:24:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Peanut butter has always worked for me.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 8:55:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Wife puts out a cob of corn for her squirrel friend everyday.
Its gone quickly.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 7:46:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Corn or bird seed (with sunflowers) and use peanut butter to stick to the trap.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 7:56:16 PM EDT
[#15]
The little bastards always destroy the bird feeders.  I use a little plastic cup of birdseed on the floor of the trap and leave the feeders empty.  

Peanut butter is also very good but it attracts ants and then the squirrels ignore it.

Have one right now, it's too stupid to walk around to the open end of the trap, he spent a good half hour trying to dig his way under the side trying to reach the cup.

It's probably time to dig out the Sparrow and the .22lr shorts for him.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 7:59:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FDC] [#16]
They go nuts for unsalted peanuts.

ETA, staked conibear 110s are humane-ish.  Sometimes they'll flop for awhile if you don't do a coupe de grace.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 9:12:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyeore1966] [#17]
Peanut butter with bird seed mixed in works but will draw ants, sunflower seeds work by themselves…

also note this is a very effective trap add the optional plastic caps to keep mini-dogs out as needed if using peanut butter.

Tube Trap

Link Posted: 7/29/2023 9:12:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By tornadochaser:

If I could shoot them easily I wouldn't have to trap them.
Two of my backyard neighbors are not comfortable with me openly shooting critters in the yard.  I've already had a discussion with them when it came to rabbits this spring.  They aren't opposed to these animals disappearing, just not comfortable with the lack of backstop from my yard to theirs.
I'm already on the city Animal Control naughty list for shooting rabbits at my previous house and getting turned in as well so I'd rather just take care of the live trapped critters in my garage.
View Quote

Can you shoot them with a pellet gun from an upstairs window or raised platform?  That could solve the backstop concern.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By cmw:

Can you shoot them with a pellet gun from an upstairs window or raised platform?  That could solve the backstop concern.
View Quote

Single story house.  
Live traps have been successful; bird seed & peanut butter.  I've trapped nearly 2 dozen squirrels and rabbits since making this post.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top