Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2022 12:43:48 AM EDT
My army issue wet weather bag worked pretty damn good when it didn’t have holes in it. I see mission made bags for a good price. What is something I could possibly wade across a river with and not get my precious material inside wet? I don’t need maritime underwater dive operation waterproof, but maybe a 400m swim proof bag. Any suggestions? Just something to keep clothes and essential electronics dry.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 6:12:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Walmart carries some in the outdoor section.  Think they have some down to 10L and up to 40L.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 10:08:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I buy em off Amazon.
Brand seems to constantly change.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:00:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought three usgi WP bags probably 12 years ago.  Damn things are brittle now, they were in a spare bedroom that didn’t get AC.

Granted they weren’t expensive but cannot trust them for the purpose.

I even bought a backpack with water proof liner bag that was surplus navy stuff.   Bag is kind of an ill fitting thing though.  Figured I’d use it cannot camping for sleeping gear or clothes.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 8:22:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I just use zip lock.  The original style, not the sliders.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 8:36:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I have and can recommend these bags.  

https://www.amazon.com/Piscifun-Waterproof-Backpack-Floating-Sports/dp/B07JY8LQ66

They have multiple sizes.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 12:21:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Google 'dry bag'

Pick as you budget allows

Link Posted: 12/7/2022 1:12:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Google 'dry bag'

Pick as you budget allows
View Quote

This.

A decent rolltop drybag will work as a floatation device. I have some high-end Sea to Summit bags and some Amazon (China?) versions, both have worked just fine. Do make sure you figure out the size and it depends on how you want to pack. I don't like a ton of separate organizational bags, but I do use one good size one (maybe 30 liters?) for sleeping bag and extra clothes. I keep my food in a separate dry bag in case I need to hang it, and anything small that needs to be accessed is usually in an appropriate size freezer Ziploc. Not all bags have drain holes, so just be aware if you try to "test" the buoyancy of your waterproof lined pack.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 4:34:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a number of the sea to summit bags.

They’re pricier but I think if it’s worth waterproofing my gear, it’s worth not taking chances.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#9]
The product you seek is the Sea to Summit Big River dry bag.

There are other good options, but this is the best.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:49:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I’ve never seen a Zip-loc bag that didn’t suck air in somehow. Put socks, TP, whatever in there, squeeze all air out and zip, not long after there’s air in it. When hiking I’ll use them with the opening down, but for possible/probable submergence no way. I’d go with a real, roll top dry bag, my favorites are the Sea To Summit eVent compression sacks but Granite Gear makes good ones, too. I just don’t like that the GG sacks don’t have a handle on the bottom to make pulling stuff out easier.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 1:35:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the replies guys. Have to get 1 for the fiancés bag, and 1 for the kiddie bag.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 7:58:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Like others have said dry bags and I put my cloths in packing cubes
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 8:47:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Snugpak also makes them in more drab colors if you need to be clandestine. Most of the ones Ive found that arent black are bright colors.

For one time use Waterproof-ness I vacuum seal stuff.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 9:15:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This.

A decent rolltop drybag will work as a floatation device. I have some high-end Sea to Summit bags and some Amazon (China?) versions, both have worked just fine. Do make sure you figure out the size and it depends on how you want to pack. I don't like a ton of separate organizational bags, but I do use one good size one (maybe 30 liters?) for sleeping bag and extra clothes. I keep my food in a separate dry bag in case I need to hang it, and anything small that needs to be accessed is usually in an appropriate size freezer Ziploc. Not all bags have drain holes, so just be aware if you try to "test" the buoyancy of your waterproof lined pack.

ROCK6
View Quote

30L makes sense. I just got a new 20 degree synthetic mummy bag and it will fit in a 20L. A 30 would give room to spare.
A cheap rectangle bag required a 40l compression sack. I did squeeze a medium thermarest pillow in with it.
A poncho liner is just a little too big for a 5l.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top