Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2021 1:23:47 PM EDT
OK guys, so I ordered this kit here to dig a well, haven't gotten it in yet but I'm working on sizing up a pump for it. I plan to drill about 50 feet max, maybe less than that but the deeper the better in my opinion.

https://emergencywaterwell.com/product/large-bore-diy-water-well-kit/

The well location will be at the bottom of a hill and the line has to run up that hill about 200-300ft with a ~15% grade.

So, would I have to use a deep well pump to push the water up the hill? And if so, what size would I need? What type of reservoir tank do I need and what diameter does the line running up the hill need to be?

I'm currently thinking a 1HP Everbuilt convetible jet pump but it may not be enough. For reference, this will be used to connect up a camper and water a small garden, so nothing special.
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 1:51:12 PM EDT
[#1]
For the capabilities of the pump, you'll need to know the overall rise of the total run (depth of hole relative to pressure tank elevation).
That Everbuilt pump (DP550C?) says it'll lift 152'. So long as your total elevation is under this number (I'd give at least 10-20% margin), you should be fine.
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 2:18:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, that's the pump!

So, I'll see what the vertical lift is, I wouldn't think it's more than 100 feet but I haven't done the math on it.

Would I need a storage tank at the well or could I just use the one in the camper?
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 3:55:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I've never hooked up a camper, but I'd assume it should be fine so long as the equipment is rated for the purpose. We're talking a regular (probably a bit smaller) pressure tank w/ pressure switch?
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 5:59:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I think a camper tank is gravity so I'd probably have to rig something up in that case. Otherwise I'd have to but a pressure tank.

In the end I may not even go the camper route, might just finish out a section in the pole barn.
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 6:02:26 PM EDT
[#5]
There's no water deep inside me, so I'll pass
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 7:15:07 PM EDT
[#6]
You are going to want a pressure tank or if the flow is low the well pump will cycle on/off every second
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 6:30:34 AM EDT
[#7]
It looks like that would never work if there are rocks. Are you sure your location is rock free all the way down to 50 ft?

Also, most locations require a well driller to be licensed and record the well in a state well record. This is to protect the ground water from contamination. Most states take that very seriously and violating that can costs tens of thousands in fines and remediation costs. Does your state have any requirements like that?
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 2:25:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It looks like that would never work if there are rocks. Are you sure your location is rock free all the way down to 50 ft?

Also, most locations require a well driller to be licensed and record the well in a state well record. This is to protect the ground water from contamination. Most states take that very seriously and violating that can costs tens of thousands in fines and remediation costs. Does your state have any requirements like that?
View Quote

I don't think it would work here with our water in Rotten Sandstone and shale layers. Not to mention the amount of rocks.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 4:58:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I wonder about it freezing. Does the water drain back below the frost line when the pump isn’t in use?
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:07:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I wonder about it freezing. Does the water drain back below the frost line when the pump isn’t in use?
View Quote

It's actually a good question, I'm not sure, I'm thinking of building something to encase it but I was able to dig it out and get it pumping water. It was a little dirty in this picture from a few weeks ago but it's cleared up nicely now. Very clean and water tests came back really good.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 10:07:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Success!

Well done!  

Link Posted: 10/22/2021 4:52:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Success!

Well done!  

View Quote

It ain't pretty but it works.

It's only 15 feet, we have a shallow water table where I'm at. My next well is going to probably be 100ft+ using this dude right here. It'll be a little while till I get that one though. Next step will be to get a cistern put in to store the water for the property.

https://www.drillawell.com/complete-kit
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 4:06:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's only 15 feet, we have a shallow water table where I'm at. My next well is going to probably be 100ft+ using this dude right here. It'll be a little while till I get that one though. Next step will be to get a cistern put in to store the water for the property.

View Quote

I can’t see that thing working in anything but sand.

Not enough weight to cut and not enough air to lift cuttings out if the hole.

Sand has its own issues, it likes to collapse.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 4:21:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

You would be lucky if you went past 2 feet without hitting rock and having to try another spot here.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 7:32:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 6:07:12 PM EDT
[#16]
What part of the state are you in OP?
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 6:34:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

i bought that kit a few years back. i had no luck with it. there was too much gravel in my soil. the bit would jam up constantly. oh well.

ended up going with a rain water collection system. works great.

also using a point well now.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 7:27:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I like how their linked video shows how it works, it goes down, drills through dirt, mixes with water and vacs out the sludge, but in the video it shows a bunch of rocks as its drilling - and then the expand the screen and the rocks disappear.  They did that for a reason, this POS won't work if you have lots of rock.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 10:02:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
For the capabilities of the pump, you'll need to know the overall rise of the total run (depth of hole relative to pressure tank elevation).
That Everbuilt pump (DP550C?) says it'll lift 152'. So long as your total elevation is under this number (I'd give at least 10-20% margin), you should be fine.
View Quote

FYI, when doing calculations on pumps, don't forget pipe friction and fitting losses over long runs.  With a 50' deep well and +/-45' rise over 300' the static head is about 100' and the friction head won't be 52', so you should be fine.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 1:50:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I like how their linked video shows how it works, it goes down, drills through dirt, mixes with water and vacs out the sludge, but in the video it shows a bunch of rocks as its drilling - and then the expand the screen and the rocks disappear.  They did that for a reason, this POS won't work if you have lots of rock.
View Quote

Everyone of his videos and products on his page makes me want to punch kittens.

$75 for 16oz of EZ mud! LofuckingL…. Disregard it’s not even the correct application of the stuff. That’s some spendy whale cum. Think I pay around $140 for 40 pounds.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 3:19:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

OP, how deep did you go?  ETA:  I see that you went only 15 feet.   You are right that deeper is probably better in case you need a lot of water for something, though I suppose that could be a good supply at 15 feet.  Here wells are much deeper.

Did you take any pics of the process?

Very interested.

~Kitties

ETA: You need yourself an old-time wellhouse.  A footer with concrete blocks is ideal,probably, for Georgia.   The voids in the blocks will give some insulating component.  Some foam insulation inside and BAM....livin' the way folks did before everything got fancy and legislated and expensive.
View Quote

I actually didn't and in hind sight I probably should have just for kicks, but the fellows video on how to use it is really good.

It's pretty simple, prep the site area by clearing brush and such then start drilling. As you run out of drill pipe length, keep adding drill pipe until you get to desired depth.

Once that's done, it's just a matter of connecting up the well screen with the well casing, dropping it in the hole and installing the pump.

I'll have to build that, it's on the list to get done lol. Just a crap load of things out here that's on the list to complete. I need to update my other thread too on progress at some point...

Quoted:
What part of the state are you in OP?
View Quote

Northeast Georgia, I hit a couple of rocks and had to start over a couple times but after number 4 I hit it lol.

Quoted:

i bought that kit a few years back. i had no luck with it. there was too much gravel in my soil. the bit would jam up constantly. oh well.

ended up going with a rain water collection system. works great.

also using a point well now.
View Quote

Good to know, I may have to try a rain collection system too, haven't done a lot of research on setting them though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top