Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2023 4:45:54 AM EDT
I have a corner in the storeroom I could set up a barrel or such. I found some 15 gallon blue water barrels at CAL Ranch for about $45. I don't know what type of pump would be used for them, or really much about storing water like this long term. Tips, tricks, suggestions?
Thank you for your replies.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 7:05:39 AM EDT
[#1]
15 gallon for $45 seems an awful lot of money. Is that how they are going for now?
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 8:09:22 AM EDT
[#2]
They don't have to be blue.  I use white food grade 55gal barrels bought from a wholesale company for $23/ea.  It has been a few years since I bought any, but at the time retail was $100+ for blue ones.  I have 4 that have had water in them for about 20 years and it is fine.

white barrels
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:57:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Check out ULINE.

They sell all kinds of hand pumps for barrels.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 12:08:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 12:33:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Sometimes you can get big food grade barrels from bakeries.
Not supposed to store barrels of water directly on concrete, put wood under them.
Can't remember the reason, just read it somewhere.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 12:38:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought one of these.

Collapsable Rain Barrel  About $40 on Amazon for 100 gallons.

I was not happy with it.  The drain spigot leaks slowly, and I wanted it for sitting on the back porch.

I eventually took the drain spigot out and lined the inside with a huge sheet of heavy duty plastic sheeting.  So it works for what I want.  But it was a lot of hassle to get there.  If I wanted to leave it out in the yard, it would have been fine.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 4:39:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You can store it on concrete. The concern there was with heated concrete leeching chemicals into the water through the barrel.
View Quote
Learn something new everyday.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 5:11:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a corner in the storeroom I could set up a barrel or such. I found some 15 gallon blue water barrels at CAL Ranch for about $45. I don't know what type of pump would be used for them, or really much about storing water like this long term. Tips, tricks, suggestions?
Thank you for your replies.
View Quote

The last I checked (which was some time ago), food-grade 50-gallon barrels weren't much more than that.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 5:43:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I grabbed two blue 55 gal barrels from walmart.com of all places couple years ago. Augison farms brand if I recall.

I just stacked them in a corner of basement. And bought a couple hand water barrel pumps off Amazon. And a bung wrench.

I filled them up with water and 1 TBS of Chlorine (or 3 tbs bleach). Just make sure it's normal stuff with no scents or adulterants.
Three tablespoons will disinfect 55 gallons of water. This level of treatment will kill bacteria and viruses and prevent the growth of microorganisms during storage.

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 6:15:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I grabbed two blue 55 gal barrels from walmart.com of all places couple years ago. Augison farms brand if I recall.

I just stacked them in a corner of basement. And bought a couple hand water barrel pumps off Amazon. And a bung wrench.

I filled them up with water and 3 TBS of bleach.
Three tablespoons will disinfect 55 gallons of water. This level of treatment will kill bacteria and viruses and prevent the growth of microorganisms during storage.

View Quote

Good idea!
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 10:28:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Good idea!
View Quote

Use chlorine instead of bleach if you do it. And only need 1 TBS.

Also look into buying some Calcium Hypochlorite. Mix with water and it makes chlorine. But has a very long shelf life. Unlike readymade bleach and chlorine. And a 1lb bag of the granules can lurify 10k gallons of water. And it's very cheap
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 6:22:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I think the biggest bang for the buck is 55 gallon blue barrels.  Fill the first one, add bleach. Put a piece fo 3/4" plywood on top. Stack a second barrel on that, fill and add bleach.  All  you need is a hose or 1/2" tubing for the top barrel. It will syphon like crazy.  You will need one of those $15 plastic barrel pumps for the bottom one.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 11:03:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You can store it on concrete. The concern there was with heated concrete leeching chemicals into the water through the barrel.
View Quote

ONly having 48 years of working with water and that pesky degree, I've always thought that if you used a food grade container, which by the way is what you should use and nothing else, it worn't be a problem unless the concrete is hot enought to melt the container.

Another comment.  The reason you should "NOT" use white is that light passes through and can lead to biological growth.  Mostly green algae, but there are some really nasty critters you don't want to mess with.

And the last comment is this.  Use only new, not recycled, containers.  You have no way of knowing what has been in those containers in the past.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 11:11:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 12:58:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Important safety notes there, thank you very much!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top