Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2022 10:05:20 AM EDT
I commute with an SUV and the back is set up with the usual, GHB, tools, things I need maybe at work but not all the time, temp stable food, that sort of thing. I was thinking today about water. I'm in the suburbs so not remote, but in the south so it gets hot for a large portion of the year. The water bottles I rotate through end up rolling around and wandering off everywhere. The mylar water bags are nice but not cheap and are only 4 ounces each.

Is it worth it to get a water brick or similar to store a bunch of water back there? I don't know how much I'd ever "need" but it seems like it would make sense to be able to top off all my containers should I need to walk home (~10 miles) in case of whatever emergency.

So I guess what do you do for water in your vehicles?
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 10:19:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I did use the old green military surplus screw top 1and 2 quarts but the heat got to them and they started leaking. Now I use half a dozen 20oz Gatorade bottles in a backpack with spare ammo and a med kit.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 10:27:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I keep two of these in my truck tool box. I've used one once for the dog on a long trip.

Link Posted: 7/15/2022 10:29:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

I've had those rupture on me
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:…. Gatorade bottles in a backpack ...
View Quote
Heavy-duty and free.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 11:52:46 AM EDT
[#5]
i'd stick with water bottles.  they're convenient and resistant to freezing.  it's easy to hand a couple to a family broke down on the side of the road, etc.  and you can squirt them.   i.e. poke a hole in the top and squeeze, which can be very handy if you need to rinse something or if you get something in your eye, etc.

just find a better way to secure them so they're not bouncing everywhere
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#6]
We use a "milk carton" in the wifes' car for bottled water and one large gallon size for the Boxerdog. It gets used often enough that freshness is not an issue. In my truck I keep a small ice chest in the back seat and I throw a frozen gallon jug of water in it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 12:55:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I take a nalgene bottle with me daily and I don't drink nearly as much as I should so there's generally half a liter or more in it.
I typically have a few of those big heavy bottles (knock off smart water bottles) floating around. I'll pass em out to coworkers or top of my nalgene with em occasionally so they rotate. Reminds me I need to throw some more in here.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 1:00:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a small cooler.  Holds 8-12 bottles of water.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 1:44:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I keep a cooler in the car. But I also live in the desert
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 2:07:01 PM EDT
[#10]
What you want is a MSR Dromedary Water Bag, it's a 10 liter heavy duty camelbak w/o the straw - though you can add a straw..  Link
We strap these on the back of our motorcycles when he head deep into the mountains camping.  They are more heavy duty than a standard camelbak and are very durable.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 8:11:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I’ve had pretty good luck with the blue 7 gallon aqua-tainers for camping and stuff. Build in spout on the reversible cap.

They fit in a standard milk crate to give protect them from getting banged up and sliding around or tipping over in the back of the truck.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 10:58:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I commute with an SUV and the back is set up with the usual, GHB, tools, things I need maybe at work but not all the time, temp stable food, that sort of thing. I was thinking today about water. I'm in the suburbs so not remote, but in the south so it gets hot for a large portion of the year. The water bottles I rotate through end up rolling around and wandering off everywhere. The mylar water bags are nice but not cheap and are only 4 ounces each.

Is it worth it to get a water brick or similar to store a bunch of water back there? I don't know how much I'd ever "need" but it seems like it would make sense to be able to top off all my containers should I need to walk home (~10 miles) in case of whatever emergency.

So I guess what do you do for water in your vehicles?
View Quote

If you are planning to walk 10 miles home then you need containers that are portable enough to do that.  I doubt a water brick would fit the bill.

How long will it take you to walk 10 miles?   I could do it in less than 3 hours and if starting off hydrated I don’t need any water but a quart wouldn’t be bad for me to have along.

Are there water sources along the way?  I would think in GA that would be a distinct possibility.  If so then two one quart Nalgenes and some treatment tablets and you’d be able to make a lot of clean water without having to carry a bunch of weight.

I keep a sturdy gallon container along with Nalgenes.  They are either in cup holders or in the little cargo net thing strung across the back of a trunk or cargo area to keep them from rolling around.  The gallon is more for use in and around the vehicle for myself and others than it is for moving any significant distance (call it >20 miles).

A water brick might be useful fur use like I am using the 1 gallon container.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 11:45:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If you are planning to walk 10 miles home then you need containers that are portable enough to do that.  I doubt a water brick would fit the bill.

How long will it take you to walk 10 miles?   I could do it in less than 3 hours and if starting off hydrated I don’t need any water but a quart wouldn’t be bad for me to have along.

Are there water sources along the way?  I would think in GA that would be a distinct possibility.  If so then two one quart Nalgenes and some treatment tablets and you’d be able to make a lot of clean water without having to carry a bunch of weight.

I keep a sturdy gallon container along with Nalgenes.  They are either in cup holders or in the little cargo net thing strung across the back of a trunk or cargo area to keep them from rolling around.  The gallon is more for use in and around the vehicle for myself and others than it is for moving any significant distance (call it >20 miles).

View Quote

@soncorn

Walking the full way back is worst case. I’m likely to be able to go at least most of the way via car or a bicycle borrowed from work.

My thoughts with the container would be to top off anything. I usually have with me or containers in the car, not carry the whole thing.

I can do the hike in probably 3 hours as there are hills, but there’s also water on the way. I have filters already but will throw the tablets in there too.

I kinda see my suv as a cache/and what we’re grab if running out of the house in a hurry for whatever reason like a fire. So if that’s the case it’s wife + 2 young kids as well.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 12:17:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

@soncorn

Walking the full way back is worst case. I’m likely to be able to go at least most of the way via car or a bicycle borrowed from work.

My thoughts with the container would be to top off anything. I usually have with me or containers in the car, not carry the whole thing.

I can do the hike in probably 3 hours as there are hills, but there’s also water on the way. I have filters already but will throw the tablets in there too.

I kinda see my suv as a cache/and what we’re grab if running out of the house in a hurry for whatever reason like a fire. So if that’s the case it’s wife + 2 young kids as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@soncorn

Seems reasonable.

As you know, it really all comes down to what scenarios you are trying to cover and it seems like you are covering those.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 12:28:07 PM EDT
[#15]
What about those 2.5 gal water jugs they sell at the grocery store? They should move around less:

Link Posted: 7/16/2022 12:35:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Is there any danger of the plastic leaching into the water in those plastic jugs? Florida vehicles get stupid hot and i feel like that cant be good for water in plastic jugs.

edit i guess in an emergency situation i wouldnt be worrying about that.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 1:03:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What about those 2.5 gal water jugs they sell at the grocery store? They should move around less:

https://richmedia.ca-richimage.com/ImageDelivery/imageService?profileId=52000717&imageID=505&recipeId=243
View Quote

I’ve tried those. The plastic is thinner than it used to be and they pop open
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 1:10:06 PM EDT
[#18]
What about the gallon jugs Chic fil a serves tea in. They are thicker seem more durable.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 5:22:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 5:25:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Case of 500ml water bottles.

Or half a case.

Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:20:45 AM EDT
[#21]
View Quote
Hopefully it wasn't distilled water.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 10:03:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://richmedia.ca-richimage.com/ImageDelivery/imageService?profileId=52000717&imageID=505&recipeId=243
View Quote

The milk jug plastic those are made from deteriorates.
Not good for long term storage. You will get leaks.

I store the 1 gallon bottles in the clear soda bottle plastic.

Link Posted: 7/17/2022 11:25:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
20 oz water bottles in the corrugated bottle.  In winter, I winterize them by simply putting them in a cooler.  That prevents them from freezing too fast.  In fact, in my climate not much at all.  These are individual size, can thraw on your dash vent and you can hand them out stuck in traffic.
View Quote

Same; there's one of those crappy 26qt Ozark Trail coolers strapped behind the passenger seat in my truck.  Just get the thicker plastic version and they last a long time without worrying about punctures.  As long as they're new and unopened they last longer than something filled from the tap. I can drink them when I want or dump them in the empty Camelbak if I have to leave my truck for some reason.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 11:53:04 AM EDT
[#24]
A case of water bottles for the most convenience, and a 2.5 gallon Scepter water can for more capacity. I like water bottles as I can rotate through them with regular use (I keep a second case of water in my truck tool box). I keep a tote similar to this for the loose bottles and an extra case in my truck tool box:

Not only does this keep loose bottles contained, if one leaks or bursts, it will keep the mess contained as well..

I know it's easy to just focus on our needs, but my son goes through a case every couple of weeks handing out bottles to crash victims, at accident scenes, etc. (he's a cop). If I was to happen upon a scene or someone needing water, I would hate to break a larger container or use a personal water container..

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 12:51:02 PM EDT
[#25]
The Deer Park water 3L bottles are pretty stout and should do better in our Florida heat. The water tastes good as well.

You might also want to get some electrolyte packets that you can add to the water as well to help prevent cramps. That heat and humidity is pretty brutal if you have to hike any kind of distance.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 9:22:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Yeti cooler. I fill it with water bottles and add some icepack, then keep it in the trunk and rotate icepacks once in a while.
You don't want to keep a case of water in your hot vehicle for extended periods of time. Always use a cooler of some sort.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 9:34:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Canned water.

Container doesn't degrade from time & the water stays drinkable for years.  Cans are sized to be easy to parcel out & portable if you need to walk.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 11:02:24 AM EDT
[#28]
I use glass Voss brand water bottles. Doesn't leach plastic into your water. I'm in TX, so I have to worry about my water cooking more than freezing. Then have something more convenient for carry to transfer it in to.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 9:44:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Scepter 5L

Plus 40oz Kleen Kantenes for portability if needed

-P
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:33:23 PM EDT
[#30]
I have pull out drawers in the back of my SUV.
Made cheap out of 1/2 inch plywood, black carpet, and 2 Rubbermaid containers with wheels intended for storing stuff under a bed.
With tinted windows, high body vehicle, and black carpet it is difficult to tell the cargo area is shallower then it should be.

Keeps the assorted crap like water bottles, jump pack, jumper cables, spare magazines, gas mask, crowbar, gloves, backpack, tennis shoes, etc. from rolling around. Water bottles also seem to stay cooler since they are not in direct sunlight.
Also good for stashing my laptops if I am stopping at a store on the way home from work.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:49:05 PM EDT
[#31]
I use two scepter 2.5 gallon cans filled with distilled water. Keeps for a really long time and can be used
for drinking or radiator. I up it to four cans if I'm traveling off road.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 1:22:48 AM EDT
[#32]
https://majorsurplus.com/heavy-duty-swiss-water-bag.html

Also LCI has the best price for the 5 gallon
https://www.buylci.com/water-can-5-gallon-desert-tan.html
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 8:04:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Same here. Now I keep a few 12oz bottles and rotate by drinking  or sharing.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 2:44:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Two of these, change out every 6 months (costs about $2.50)

Attachment Attached File

Wrap the 2 gallons together with these (one time cost of $15.00 )

Attachment Attached File

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 7/25/2022 10:57:12 AM EDT
[#35]
I like the standard 16.9 or whatever size spring water.   They are sturdy enough and will not get funky over time.  

In the summer and winter I'll keep a cooler full of bottles with no ice in the truck.  The cooler acts as a secondary containment and also prevents them from getting too hot or freezing.

In my other gear I keep a filter (Sawyer Squeeze or LIfestraw) in case whatever bottles I have are not enough to get home.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top