Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2022 7:23:52 PM EDT

In this time of hardship and worry.....oil lamps bring a bit of warmth and gentle light that our family finds very soothing.

The lamp in the picture is one of my very favorite. Its a White Flame. It has a small chimney that funnels the air right below the flame. It sits in an Amish made wall mount oil lamp holder that reflects the light nicely.

Is it better than any other oil lamp? I doubt it but it does burn very nicely. I definitely recommend them if you can find them in good condition.

This evening I bought 5 gallons of lamp fuel from an Amish friend. The fuel is called Kensol 30. It cost $7 a gallon. I found out about it a long time ago.

It burns a tad hotter than K1 but the wick stays flexible with much less tar on the wick. Walmart sells it as 1-k kerosene at double the price. Either way it is exceptional oil lamp fuel. The Klean Heat is also exceptional lamp fuel but its extremely expensive now.

If you have a local oil supply you might inquire if they sell a Kensol 30 equivalent.

I know it might seem silly but these lamps do add a bit of warmth and comfort on a cold day. I know there are better and brighter and i have them. These are my favorites.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 7:57:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Neat. How long would that thing burn before you need to refill?
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 8:04:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Neat. How long would that thing burn before you need to refill?
View Quote

Not sure but all night easily. I try to refill around half way. The oil wicks against gravity so limiting the distance it has to lift is important. Most antique oil lamps have short wide fonts.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 8:08:58 PM EDT
[#3]
This is 2 hours of burn time.

Link Posted: 10/1/2022 12:25:03 AM EDT
[#4]

They can be relaxing and bring comfort.

I enjoy a good oil lamp
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 1:13:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Have 2 at the cabin, I really like that wall mount. I need to make something like that.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 9:40:05 AM EDT
[#6]
That's super neat with the mirrors on your wall mount. My parents had an old oil lamp but it was a hurricane lamp. I'm pretty sure they tossed it with the advent of cheap LED lanterns. Once my dad got a Coleman the hurricane lamp got used less and less when the power went out. But I think my mom preferred that lamp over the Coleman.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 9:58:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll bet those mirrors improve light output significantly.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 4:09:19 PM EDT
[#8]

I pulled out my modern, but very nice 1.5" wick oil lamp. It sits on a small mouth mason jar. I switched to a bigger jar filled with decorative rocks to give weight and stability.

The font is tall and narrow so this lamp holds a lot of fuel but it will need refilled more often to keep the fuel level with 2" of the wick guide.

The 1.5" wick puts out some heat.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 6:29:04 PM EDT
[#9]
A 7/8" wick lamp and a 1.5" wick lamp warmed my bedroom several degrees in a couple hours. This is going to make my wife happy this winter.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#10]
That's very pretty, OP> I;m gonna have to find some nice wick lamps now.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 11:07:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm trying to convince myself I need to ad an Aladdin lamp or two to my preps. My great grandfather had several, but apparently they got thrown out when he passed a few years before I knew what they were.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 3:45:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm trying to convince myself I need to ad an Aladdin lamp or two to my preps. My great grandfather had several, but apparently they got thrown out when he passed a few years before I knew what they were.
View Quote

I have one. Super bright but super fragile.  They are pretty neat. I don't generally mesz with it day to day.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 8:33:22 AM EDT
[#13]
I've got a new Aladdin lamp at home.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 7:57:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought this lamp cheap at the flea market pre-2017. I know that because they packed it up after the tornado and i finally unpacked it today.

The font was brown with oil that dried up long before any of us were alive. The burner had a heavy shellac of old oil and dirt. I decided to clean it up thinking the burner would never function again....I was wrong.

Instant favorite.....

Made by the Manhattan Brass Co NY
Arctic no 3
1 1/2" wide wick.

This was a serious oil lamp. Puts out a lot of light for something closer to 200 years old than 100.....nice flame shape. Really nice design. I'm pretty sure it hasn't burned in 100 years or more.... I am really pleased to own this working piece of our history.

Eta: The burner is turn of the century. The font looks older but I don't know for sure. Pretty awesome anyway.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 9:20:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd swear this wall oil lamp holder is a near perfect fit for this old lamp.

Link Posted: 10/10/2022 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#16]
I bet there are a lot of threads like this going on in Europe currently.  I think they are going to be needing good oil lamps this winter.  

I've got about 12 different oil lamps/lanters here at our place.  We like to use them in the winter just for the heck of it because the light is nice.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:52:55 AM EDT
[#17]
And things like this are why there were so many fires back in the day.

I have a few too, just be careful.  No way I'd leave one burning without someone awake.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 1:16:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
And things like this are why there were so many fires back in the day.

I have a few too, just be careful.  No way I'd leave one burning without someone awake.
View Quote

Who said I run my oil lamps all night unattended?

I had two running when an F2 to F3 tornado hit my house. I ran by one on the way to the basement and blew it out as the front wall of my house caved in and the windows blew out. I missed the 2nd one.

The tornado blew it out. Didn't move the lamp. It was still sitting on my tv stand splattered in mud and insulation from other houses.

These oil lamp are extremely safe. I disagree entirely with your premise that they caused a significant number of fires or that they are fundamentally dangerous at all.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#19]
On the subject of fuels.....

I used Kensol 30 in the oil lamps down stairs. There is nearly zero smell.

I accidentally used some K1 in my upstairs oil lamps. The smell is very distinctive. It is mild but there is a distinct smell of combustion.

As soon as the smell was noticeable I knew my mistake. It's not enough that I will need to drain them. I'll just refill with the good stuff until the smell goes away.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 9:05:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I accidentally used some K1 in my upstairs oil lamps. The smell is very distinctive. It is mild but there is a distinct smell of combustion.

As soon as the smell was noticeable I knew my mistake. It's not enough that I will need to drain them. I'll just refill with the good stuff until the smell goes away.
View Quote

My apprentice informed me that vanilla scented kerosene was available. Hmmm, scented arson.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 10:11:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I did a search to purchase this
All I found was large qualities
May I ask your source?
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 10:12:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I had two running when an F2 to F3 tornado hit my house. I ran by one on the way to the basement and blew it out as the front wall of my house caved in and the windows blew out. I missed the 2nd one.

The tornado blew it out. Didn't move the lamp. It was still sitting on my tv stand splattered in mud and insulation from other houses.

These oil lamp are extremely safe. I disagree entirely with your premise that they caused a significant number of fires or that they are fundamentally dangerous at all.
View Quote

Go knock one over without a breeze and let us know what happens.
3 years from 1 newspaper in 1800s
what about this story?
gotta love India
Google just keeps pulling up stories
As for running overnight- your 2nd post somewhat implies it, however,  yes,  you don't say it.

Then again, where did I say I was replying specifically to you?

Link Posted: 10/15/2022 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

May I ask your source?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

May I ask your source?

An Amish guy named Enos.

He buys 55 gallon drums.

Walmart sells it as 1-k kerosene for $15 a gallon.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 10:35:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

what about this story?
gotta love India
As for running overnight- your 2nd post somewhat implies it, however,  yes,  you don't say it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

what about this story?
gotta love India

Oil lamps simple do not explode unless you reach the flash point of the fuel and add flame. For kerosene that is around 150°.

That list is an advertisement for that safety valve. Lets not play games. Most of that list does nothing to illustrate actual issues with burning oil lamps.

Go knock over an oil lamp with the fuel at less than 150° and it will go out. It won't explode or do anything of the sort.

I've burned oil lamps for thousands of hours without issue. They have been safely used for centuries.  I'd bet electrical fires have done as much or more damage in the last 100 years.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 10:37:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

what about this story?
gotta love India

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

what about this story?
gotta love India

You literally cannot fill an oil lamp while lit. That story is bullshit. She lit her house on fire and the oil lamp was along for the ride.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:23:12 PM EDT
[#26]
I mearly diluted the k1 in the lamps with good quality fuel and almost no smell. It will get better as i refill a few more times.

Pump k1 stinks. Don't be surprised if family complains.
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 3:45:11 PM EDT
[#27]
It's not much, but two oil lamps (3/4" and 1-1/2" wicks) will warm our 12' x 15' room 2° in an hour. I've tested it several times.

If I bring in four dogs it heats up much faster.  Lol!

Our room is on the south side of the house and that side is being blasted with 20+mph wind at -7°.

It isn't as cheap as an electric space heater but it sure is prettier!
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 5:04:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Oil lamps can be bought cheaply.  I've picked up some oil lamps at the local auction house for around $3 each.  I guess they're not fashionable at the moment.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 6:38:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Oil lamps can be bought cheaply.  I've picked up some oil lamps at the local auction house for around $3 each.  I guess they're not fashionable at the moment.
View Quote

I've bought lots of great antiques at antique shops and flea markets for very little money.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 6:12:22 PM EDT
[#30]
My uncle brought me a nice antique oil lamp a couple weeks ago. It pays to be the family oil lamp guy! Lol
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 6:27:14 PM EDT
[#31]
I found a Blue Grass Belknap at the thrift store   it leaks from  the bottom will try epoxy to fix it.  preivoius owner tried soldering
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top