Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2023 11:43:53 PM EDT
My family and I have always done traditional camping with tents and sleeping bags. But after hearing a lot of people talk about hammock camping, I feel drawn to the idea of being able to remote camp without carrying a ton of weight.

I’ve search hammocks and tarps, but I have no experience with hammocks, other than the rope netting one that stays in the back yard.

Can anyone recommend some lightweight hammocks with mosquito netting, tarps and bedding/blankets that are light weight and compact. I’m looking to get gear for my 11 year old daughter, the wife and myself. I’m trying to be budget minded, but don’t mind spending more if it’s better gear that’s compact and light.

The biggest thing I want to avoid is heavy and bulky items that’s going to discourage my wife and daughter if they have to hump a ton of gear.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 7:56:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JPC] [#1]
Warbonnet,,,my go to

Have the Blackbird XLC,,as well as under quilt,,plus other gear.
Decent information videos on gear.

Light,, look at the Eldorado or original Blackbird.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:32:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Terriblis] [#2]
Check out hammockforums.net and shugemery on YouTube for lots of good info.

If you are looking to start on the cheap side the ENO or Hennessy for a hammock, tarp, suspension package for under $200. Then use a sleeping bag and pad you already own.

If you camp in warmer weather and have some basic sewing skills then you can make cheap underquilts from down throw blankets and bungee cord.

My first setup was a $35 ENO Doublenest, a Kelty 12'12' tarp I already owned, 2 $10 down throw blankets from Costco that I sewed into an under quilt, and a Froggs Toggs poncho turned into an under quilt protector. It worked well enough for me to decide to go down the expensive rabbit hole that is hammocking.

Cold butt syndrome, not getting a flat lay, and hammock bunching up at the calf are the most common issues making for uncomfortable hammocking. The hammockforums.net has sticky info on comfortable setup and lots of members that will answer questions from new hammockers.

Dutchwaregear.com and HammockGear.com have relatively cheap options with a lot of color choices for a pick and choose approach.

My go to is a Warbonnet Eldorado with a Warbonnet Thunderfly, a Loco Libre underquilt, and a Katabatic Gear top quilt. Costs about $365 for hammock and tarp, $270 for the underquilt, and $425 for the top quilt (which was not hammock specific but my go to in general for insulation). My 3 season shelter and insulation setup runs around $1,400 once additional bits and bobs are added in.
You can spend a lot on hammock gear, but that is also true of any camping setup. You can also go cheap and it just weighs more.
I have at least 12 hammocks, with 3 Warbonnet's being the most used.

One thing my wife had an issue with when she switched over to hammock instead of a tent is changing clothes.
Not as much privacy with a hammock compared to a tent and you have to be a bit flexible to change your clothes laying down in the hammock. The main backpacking trail by us is the Superior Hiking Trail which is busy in the summer and having a campsite to yourself can be rare on weekends.
So my wife uses a larger tarp that has doors. Still cannot standup fully in it but the ends are closed off and the side can be close to the ground. The trade off is it weighs more and less airflow in warm weather.
For me I'm not concerned about privacy. No one is checking out an average looking middle aged man standing next to a hammock pulling pants on over boxer briefs.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 8:18:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JPC:
Warbonnet,,,my go to

Have the Blackbird XLC,,as well as under quilt,,plus other gear.
Decent information videos on gear.

Light,, look at the Eldorado or original Blackbird.
View Quote

Awesome, thanks for the resources. I’ll have to do some reading. One issue I anticipate is warmth for my wife. She is cold natured so I know she’ll something extra to keep her warm, even in the summer.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 8:31:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Have used a Hennessy Jungle XL for years for many BSA campouts. Very comfortable. If sleeping in cold weather, you will need an under-quilt.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 9:20:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Camaroman:
My family and I have always done traditional camping with tents and sleeping bags. But after hearing a lot of people talk about hammock camping, I feel drawn to the idea of being able to remote camp without carrying a ton of weight.

I’ve search hammocks and tarps, but I have no experience with hammocks, other than the rope netting one that stays in the back yard.

Can anyone recommend some lightweight hammocks with mosquito netting, tarps and bedding/blankets that are light weight and compact. I’m looking to get gear for my 11 year old daughter, the wife and myself. I’m trying to be budget minded, but don’t mind spending more if it’s better gear that’s compact and light.

The biggest thing I want to avoid is heavy and bulky items that’s going to discourage my wife and daughter if they have to hump a ton of gear.
View Quote

Search for bivy hammock.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 9:32:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't know what they are called but I got two tree ropes with several loops in them so you can adjust your hammock between closer or further trees.

Just glancing on Amazon it looks like they are pretty common.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 3:21:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Terriblis] [#7]
Originally Posted By rippr334:
I don't know what they are called but I got two tree ropes with several loops in them so you can adjust your hammock between closer or further trees.

Just glancing on Amazon it looks like they are pretty common.
View Quote

Whoopie Slings and Webbing with buckles are very flexible hammock suspension options.

Hammock Suspensions Part 1...Daisy Chain Webbing

Hammock Suspensions Part 2...Descender Rings & Tree Straps

Whoopie Slings for Hammock Suspension

Link Posted: 5/30/2023 9:16:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Dutchware has a lot of options, but can get expensive with all the add ons.  They make good stuff.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 10:24:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I do a lot of camping with scouts. With the exception of snow-shelters and the Order of the Arrow ordeal, I haven’t slept in a tent or on the ground since before 2017. I’ll never willingly go back to tent camping.

My first hammock was a $15.00 60”x126” crinkle taffeta table cloth from tableclothsfactory.com. I used that thing for about 5 years and it finally ripped out at one end, after I left it up in the yard and the squirrels nibbled on it where I had whipped the gathered end. (Twice)

I replaced it with a Dutchware 11’ netless hammock. I’ve never gotten as comfortable in it as I did in the DIY tablecloth hammock. I measured it the other day and found it’s only 58” wide. I measured the old tablecloth and found its actually 62” wide.  That 4” makes a huge difference - plus I like the taffeta material better. (I’m 5’10” and about 200 lbs, BTW)

I trimmed the end off the tablecloth and it’s STILL more comfortable than the Dutchware. I think I’m going to order a couple more tablecloths and make a replacement.

My bug net is a “fronkey” style made from black tulle from Joanne’s fabric. I’ve never had a bug get through it and it cost me something like $7.00. It’s slightly fragile, but this will be the third summer with no issues.

My tree straps are cam-buckle straps from Harbor Freight that I cut the hardware off of. I think they were $4.00 for the two-pack. Again - going on 4 years with no noticeable wear or deterioration.

I did build some Whoopi slings last year. They’re pretty cool, but it seems like I end up using trees that are too close together to use them at least half the time. When that happens I just larks-head the strap directly to the tablecloth hammock. On my Dutchware I use a marlinspike hitch onto the loop on the ends of the hammock.

I’ve mostly used cheap plastic tarps, or none at all if there’s no rain in the forecast.

I use the lightweight bag from the MSS for a top quilt. I actually scabbed together a homemade underquilt using a kid’s sleeping bag and some bungee cords. It’s ridiculous looking but kept me warm down to the 30s/40s. I just ordered a chineseum underquilt from Amazon for about $50 but haven’t used it yet.

There are lots of really cool options out there that are worth every penny. Fortunately there are also dirt cheap options for people of the dutch persuasion, like me.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 10:09:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Duthwaregear

not affiliated
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 10:29:38 AM EDT
[#11]
moto camping?

The Smallest Motorcycle Camping Kit
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:26:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Also,  don't bet on a hammock being lighter than a tent.  If money is no issue,  you will be lighter in a tent all things (temp rating, tarp, bug protection) being equal than hammock.

However hammocks are cheaper, (mostly) and much more comfortable.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:47:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Staying warm in a hammock can be tough.  If the temps are in the 60s, and you're just laying in a hammock, you'll be freezing.  Temps in the 70s with a light wind, you'll get cold.  

So, serious hammockers buy underquilts and tarps to stop the wind and hold in heat.  Then bug nets.  Tree straps.  Pretty soon a tents lighter, bugproof and holds in heat, while "feeling" safer.

I like sleeping in a hammock but every time I pack my backpack, and start weighing it, I unpack my hammock and pack a tent.

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 3:49:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By DirkericPitt:
Also,  don't bet on a hammock being lighter than a tent.  If money is no issue,  you will be lighter in a tent all things (temp rating, tarp, bug protection) being equal than hammock.

However hammocks are cheaper, (mostly) and much more comfortable.
View Quote

My hammock setup with a WB Blackbird and Dyneema Tarp is lighter overall than my tent setup. When you account for the tent(Zpacks Duplex) and sleeping pad(Sea to Summit Ether Light) that I don't take with the hammock I come out about 8 ounces lighter in the hammock.

Tent Base Weight:
138.10 oz

Hammock Base Weight:
130.13 oz

I could probably get lighter in a tent with the Plex Solo and a light pad but, I'd have a lot less room and will have spent far more money(and be less comfortable, personally).
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 6:59:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Loonytik:

My hammock setup with a WB Blackbird and Dyneema Tarp is lighter overall than my tent setup. When you account for the tent(Zpacks Duplex) and sleeping pad(Sea to Summit Ether Light) that I don't take with the hammock I come out about 8 ounces lighter in the hammock.

Tent Base Weight:
138.10 oz

Hammock Base Weight:
130.13 oz

I could probably get lighter in a tent with the Plex Solo and a light pad but, I'd have a lot less room and will have spent far more money(and be less comfortable, personally).
View Quote

You have to add whatever youre using for insulation in the hammock to get the same r rating as the sleeping pad.   My underquilt is much heavier than my pad.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:48:38 PM EDT
[#16]

You have to add whatever youre using for insulation in the hammock to get the same r rating as the sleeping pad.   My underquilt is much heavier than my pad.
View Quote

I did. Actual weights, not claimed.

Most all high quality(and warmer than mine) underquilts are in the low 20oz range. Even if I added in a heavier quilt I would be roughly the same weight as my tent setup.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 7:10:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DirkericPitt] [#17]
Most of your numbers are similar to mine,  however one could argue (maybe not successfully depending on the person) that the 20 degree bag and pad are warmer than the 20 degree bag and quilt and you'd have to go with maybe a 30 degree underquilt to be equal.  Plus i would remove the pillow and pump from the tent set up as well for a completely theoretical comparison, or add the pillow to the hammock.     I use the same pillow both in the hammock and tent.

I guess it does show you can get very close for both,  if your willing to spend the money.

Edit,  plus you could shave off alot using a neoair if you were just showing weight,  i prefer my either to my xlite as well,  but just for the dept to sleep on my side, not warmth.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 9:26:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Most of your numbers are similar to mine,  however one could argue (maybe not successfully depending on the person) that the 20 degree bag and pad are warmer than the 20 degree bag and quilt and you'd have to go with maybe a 30 degree underquilt to be equal.  Plus i would remove the pillow and pump from the tent set up as well for a completely theoretical comparison, or add the pillow to the hammock.     I use the same pillow both in the hammock and tent.

I guess it does show you can get very close for both,  if your willing to spend the money.

Edit,  plus you could shave off alot using a neoair if you were just showing weight,  i prefer my either to my xlite as well,  but just for the dept to sleep on my side, not warmth.
View Quote

Agreed. Although, the zero degree "Wookie" from Warbonnet is 20.34 ounces and my S2S Etherlite is over 21.

BUT, I also look at it by how much space I have with the Duplex. Space to weight wise there's no comparison, the Duplex wins.

Light...ain't cheap.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 8:47:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Hammock forums.

I just did a week at scout camp with my Warbonnet Ridge runner.  Arrowhead underquilt, enlightened equipment top quilt.  

Link Posted: 7/19/2023 8:54:07 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm not "big" (6', 200) but have one of these.  Sooooo comfy and awesome for side/stomach sleeping.

Town's End Bridge Hammock

The bug net is removable and bottom entry on it though.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 5:12:36 AM EDT
[#21]
It's not any lighter, it's just much more comfortable
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:10:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Upper quilt, lower quilt, Hennecy Hammock 4Season Explorer Zip XL... Good tarp, with doors...

Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:36:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JaxShooter] [#23]
Originally Posted By crashburnrepeat:
It's not any lighter, it's just much more comfortable
View Quote
This x1000. I would also add more flexible. I've had several outings where a tent was either impractical or impossible due to terrain.

It's also nice to throw the hammock up quickly for a nice seat to have a midday snack. Or try cooking in your tent when it's pouring rain as opposed to sitting in your comfy hammock under your nice tarp.

I've done hammock seminars for REI and a local outfitter. I probably have a dozen or so at the moment. Others have offered some good suggestions so I'll just add that I can personally recommend the Wilderness Logic Snipe and Lite Owl (love these), BIAS (butt in a sling) gram weenie if you really want a light hammock (6.7 oz), Warbonnet Ridgerunner, and my current favorite, the Dream Hammocks Thunderbird. The Dream is a very flexible hammock. Hennessy hammocks are bulletproof but I didn't find them particularly comfortable and they're heavy. I'd stay away from ENO. They're another mass market favorite but they're just mediocre. I'm all about supporting the cottage shops that will work with you to make sure you have the right gear.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top