Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2020 9:04:48 PM EDT
Hey guys looking to get a new tire inflator and jumper cables etc.  What do you guys have ? Recommend?   I live in Chicago ( unfortunately) with a couple road trips a year . Some outdoors some to other cities.  
 I found a company called scosche that has some small jumper packs. Not sure how they are. Anyone tried these ?
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:14:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey guys looking to get a new tire inflator and jumper cables etc.  What do you guys have ? Recommend?   I live in Chicago ( unfortunately) with a couple road trips a year . Some outdoors some to other cities.  
 I found a company called scosche that has some small jumper pacWks. Not sure how they are. Anyone tried these ?
View Quote

What size engine do you have?  This is what I have.

Product description
Size:1000 Amp  |  Style:Starter
Ideal for cars up to 10 cylinders, the Schumacher SL1317 1000 Peak Amp Lithium Ion Jump Starter with USB Portable Power Port provides a quick jump start in emergencies. In a compact case, this unit offers 1000 Peak Amps of power. The lithium polymer battery provides longer life and more charge cycles. Safety features include spark-free protection against overcurrent, short-circuit, overload, overvoltage and overcharge. This unit comes with an LCD display with power button, 3A input/output USB port, Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 Technology port and 2.4A USB port for charging your smartphones, tablets, and electronics. Also includes a built-in 3-mode LED light. Schu Eco Energy meets the highest industry standards. DOE compliant.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Also an older version of this and it's been fantastic.

Kobalt DC 12V / AC 120V Dual Power Air Inflator (Power Source: Car; Electric)
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:43:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I have literally a soccer mom jeep lmao. Jeep Patriot.    In a few yrs moving up to ford 150 or Chevy.  Wife buying a Volvo in June.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What size engine do you have?  This is what I have.

Product description
Size:1000 Amp  |  Style:Starter
Ideal for cars up to 10 cylinders, the Schumacher SL1317 1000 Peak Amp Lithium Ion Jump Starter with USB Portable Power Port provides a quick jump start in emergencies. In a compact case, this unit offers 1000 Peak Amps of power. The lithium polymer battery provides longer life and more charge cycles. Safety features include spark-free protection against overcurrent, short-circuit, overload, overvoltage and overcharge. This unit comes with an LCD display with power button, 3A input/output USB port, Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 Technology port and 2.4A USB port for charging your smartphones, tablets, and electronics. Also includes a built-in 3-mode LED light. Schu Eco Energy meets the highest industry standards. DOE compliant.

www.amazon.com/dp/B07C9YRS34

Also an older version of this and it's been fantastic.

Kobalt DC 12V / AC 120V Dual Power Air Inflator (Power Source: Car; Electric)
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 12:34:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 7:46:59 AM EDT
[#4]
The thicker the wire on the jumper cables the better, to carry more current. Some are pretty flimsy.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:00:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Jumper Cables:  the longer and heavier the better.  Lower number AWG is better than higher number AWG.  Example: 1 AWG is better than 4 AWG.  I wouldn't buy anything shorter than 25 feet and anything lighter than 1 AWG.  Specifically the longer cables are helpful when you cannot maneuver your cars into an optimal position to reach with jumper cables.  It would really be a bummer to have to spin cars face to face on the side of a busy highway so you can reach with jumper cables.  And good cables will last you a long time if you don't lose them.  I don't recall the specs on my cables but I was able to jump a buddy by parking behind him in a packed parking lot.  I bought them in the early nineties.  I have used them dozens of times.  Long and heavy cables require more storage space than short light ones.   I have mine wrapped around my tire changing jack so they don't take up any additional space in the vehicle.  It takes a minute to get them out and a minute to put them back but it works pretty well for me.  Keeping them out of the way ensures that I have them when I need them.  

Portable Air Compressor:  I have been using this one since 2016.   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HRTK2NG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it works well.  Only takes a few minutes to pump up a flat tire.  I have run into three situations in the last few years where the valve stem was the issue.  Twice they failed and wouldn't hold air and once the valve stem was packed full of dirt and we couldn't get air through it.  Compressor won't help you with a valve stem issue.  So even if you have a tire patch kit and compressor, you should still be prepared to change a tire.  Although this one has a built in tire gauge, I keep a standalone tire gauge with it as well.  We have also used this compressor to air up beach toys and to adjust the pressure in foot balls, soccer balls, etc on outings.  The compressor is also much faster if the car is running.  

Jump Pack:   I don't have one.   My son does and he likes his.   I have seen him use it a couple of times and they do work.   You need to keep them charged up though.  

Flashlight/Headlamp/Rain Gear:   If you are preparing to do work on a vehicle then I would advise to prepare to do work on a vehicle in dark and rain.   My son always made fun of my rain hat.   Then I had to help him jump his Cherokee in the pouring rain on Christmas Eve.   The hat wasn't so stupid any more.  

I hope that helps,

2Hut8
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:03:18 AM EDT
[#6]
don't forget a High Visibility vest
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:50:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like to keep flares as well but reflectors are good too. On a dark stretch of road they really help.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:19:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I like to keep flares as well but reflectors are good too. On a dark stretch of road they really help.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glow sticks last a heck of a lot longer than flares. They are not as bright, so I imagine they wouldn't be as effective in a populated area.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:08:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Glow sticks last a heck of a lot longer than flares. They are not as bright, so I imagine they wouldn't be as effective in a populated area.
View Quote

I threw a couple of glow sticks out on the road one night.   I dropped them on the North side of a curve on the center line to alert people to an issue on the South side of the curve.   Someone stopped and picked them up.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Thick cables.

Stanley jump starter.

This is what I have for the tires.  The fat tire 4 wheelin guys use em for filling their tires back up after playin in the sand.  Basically the same thing as the Harbor Freight one suggested above.....just a bit more reputation.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ASY23I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 5:11:47 PM EDT
[#11]
These days you're better off building your own jumper cables than buying them.

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 6:00:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I have an older viair  and it is a rock star for a mobile air compressor
viair on amazon

For jumping a car, the new lithium jumps packs I feel are far better than jumper cables.  You can "self-rescue" without another car.  plus jumper cables are big and never stay wound up.
I own one of these and when I get the money, each car will have its own.
antigravity battery
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:12:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely not as bright, especially when they're cold, but they're safer.  I keep some of both types in my truck along with a reflective triangle and one of those round LED strobe things that flashes.  It looks kind of like this but better quality and with rubber inserts https://www.amazon.com/Tobfit-Emergency-Roadside-Flashing-Batteries/dp/B07K44RLR1  I just place it on the top of the shell on the back of my truck if I'm on the side of the road.

I've got a Viair 450c, no idea who made my jumper cables as I've had them for a long time.  I keep meaning to buy another Lipo battery pack since I lent/gave mine to a now ex-girlfriend.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 3:05:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I've outfitted my 18 Silverado with the following:
- Simple isolator and second battery
- Basic tools
- Tarps, tie downs
- Additional lights front and back
- Onboard air from Viair
- Camper shell from ARE
- Decked drawer system with tools, camping and cooking gear
- 4 inch memory foam on top of Decked drawers, covered so it is a very comfy bed
- raingear, extra clothes/boots
- hygiene kit
- Water container - 7gal
- Jerry Can
- Full sized spare
- Comms (BaoFeng UV5Rs, chargers, etc...)
- Under seat safe that can hold a long gun and other valuables
- Paper maps
- Chargers and cords, mount for pretty much any USB-based charging
- Bucket for when nature calls

When I go camping, I also put a hitch-mounted platform on the back to carry my cooler.

I know you're not traveling all the time and camping....but consider what I'm trying to cover with each of those items.

You might want to consider a second battery - maybe a portable one you can add only when  you go on trips.  Those little power packs die and usually you are paying for other junkie stuff like a weak light and trashy compressor.  Go with something that is pure power related.

Go on Youtube and check out "Minnkota boat battery case"...it is an enclosure that you can put a battery in and it has USB ports, 12v ports, etc...  You can use a little battery tender in your garage and just take it out for trips.

Happy to answer any questions....

Link Posted: 6/16/2020 9:02:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Michelin Inflator

Since the onslaught of the new "smart" inflators at gas stations in my area I was having problems finding a place to fill the tires on my F250 (63 psi).  This thing will do it quickly.  I especially like the screw on hose.  Just set the pressure, screw the hose on, turn it on and walk away.  It will stop when to the desired pressure.  It filled an empty tire on my F250 in just minutes.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 1:36:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't use glow sticks. A friend had a breakdown in his end dump. Set out triangles, in the daytime, and had all of them run over and destroyed by inattentive drivers. Cop came by and set out flares. Nobody hit them.
Reflectors are better at night. Strobes will get attention.
NAPA has good truck sized jumper cables. You will pay for the quality. Well worth it.
Jump packs work when you need just a little more oomph to get it started. Good for the non mechanically inclined.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top