Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2022 8:11:30 PM EDT
I have a 45 qt roto cooler but sometimes I just need something smaller for a day trip.  

Do the small size roto coolers, such as 15 or 20 qt have utility?  Or am I better off getting a soft sided cooler?  I usually only need it for the day, so 3 days of ice retention is not necessary.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 8:32:19 PM EDT
[#1]
In for answers.    I have a couple of 35 quarts that I like but like you said, some times smaller seems like it would have its uses.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 8:37:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Same boat.  I have a 45 and a 65.  Sometimes a little smaller would be fine.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 10:07:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a couple 65 quart size rotomolded coolers and a 26 quart cooler. The 26 quart gets used as much if not more than the larger ones.

I also have a Stanley 7 quart and a Stanley 16 quart and both get used a lot as well.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 8:06:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Yea there is no doubt that I need an additional smaller cooler it is just a question of getting a hard side or soft side.  I feel that for the purpose it would only be needed to keep drinks or snacks cold for 1 day,  think of a picnic or such.  

So a soft side would likely do just fine.  But something in me wants to get another hard cooler and my main reservation is that in their small form factor that are quite big and heavier for the amount of actual inside space.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 12:02:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a 65qt. Yeti Tundra which is more a balcony cooler for hurricanes.

I’d go soft for traveling, maybe a 20, or 30?

Chris
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 12:19:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 45 and a 20 roto.  Then I have a bunch of other regular coolers, including my big ass ones for elk hunting. The big roto coolers get too heavy to me useful in my opinion.  Between the 45 and 20 roto, I use the 20 prob 80% of the time.

Mine was cheap and definitely worth it.  If I was looking for one today, I would weight your need for a hard side and consider a soft one.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 12:27:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I see Rtic has a 32 qt ultralight cooler. Only 13+ lbs.  I don't think their ultralight coolers are roto molded though.  But for a day cooler I'm not sure that's important.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 12:32:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Bought the Otterbox 25 earlier this year to leave in the side by side. Also have Pelican 20, 35 and 65???  I am wondering why I didn't buy a smaller one sooner.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 2:18:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I have 20qt RTIC hard cooler and also their 30 can soft cooler and 20 can backpack cooler (as well as larger rotos)

They all get use depending on what we are doing.  If car camping, or on the boat, or somewhere where we are not moving around a lot i will take the 20qt roto as it does have better ice retention and can also double as a seat, cutting board, stool etc

I like to use the soft side cooler for things like river floats as it is completely water proof and floats, taking to a block party, the beach (lighter to haul down)

I use the RTIC 20 can backpack cooler if we are going to be on the move.. Hikes, fishing if we have to hike in, heading in town for a community event/concert etc

IMO for your stated use a soft side or backpack style would be just fine

https://rticoutdoors.com/Backpack-Cooler?size=20-Can&color=Tan

https://rticoutdoors.com/Soft-Pack-Cooler?size=30-Can&color=Blue-Grey
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 5:37:19 PM EDT
[#10]
We have a couple of small plain jane coleman coolers.

Work good in the boats for quick trips and during winter to help keep things from freezing.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 12:07:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a handful of Yetis, my Roadie 24 gets the most use, decent size and will hold ice for 3 or 4 days depending.  The soft-sided hopper 18 is much lighter, good for day trips and especially when we are out in our kayaks.  Insulation is less, will hold ice for maybe 2 days, but the light weight is nice.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 11:30:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got one of the Ozark Trail 26qt coolers I picked up on clearance for I want to say $29 (during the Brickseek heydays).  If I'd paid any more than that I'd have returned it.  Bulky, heavy and doesn't really keep things colder than a regular cooler, especially since it's a smaller cooler and you're not going to be loading it for a multi day trip.  From most everything I've read, that's about the same performance as the expensive name brands in that size as well.  That said, it lives behind the passenger seat in my truck with water bottles in it and occasionally groceries if I'm making multiple stops (I mounted footman's loops and keep at least one strap over it; I'd hate to have that thing flying around the cab in an accident ).  I've got a no name soft bag cooler that was a work giveaway that I put a frozen water bottle or three in when paddling or if I want something lighter to carry.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 12:14:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I used to carry my lunch to work in coolers. I have a few different sizes and now when ever I need one I pick the most appropriate one. Small coolers get used the most. From carrying a couple bottles of water or whatever on short trips. This is especially useful because I can strap a six pack sized cooler on the carry rack of a bicycle. The big coolers just sit around until it is time for a multi day trip where you have to bring your own food in.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 2:04:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Grizzly is having a sale on hard side cooler if anyone is interested.

I think I will hold off on a small size hard cooler and get a soft sided one first that seems to fit more if my immediate use case better,
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top