Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2021 9:34:40 AM EDT
I have 60 acres and would like to get a tractor.  There is a used one that’s local to me.  I’m in no hurry to buy.  

Kubota 7040, 2020 with 43 hours on it.
8x8 transmission
4 wheel drive
Diesel (duh), 70 HP
Enclosed cab with heat and cool

Standard tires
Standard hydraulics
Shuttle shifter
Standard warranty

Standard bucket and Kubota 12 foot batwing mower included (also 2020).

He’s asking $55,300

I’d buy it outright and depreciate it on my LLC.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 11:01:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Save some money and look for a pre 2014 without that diesel emissions shit. I like Kubota but hear stories about that emissions crap.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 11:33:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Save some money and look for a pre 2014 without that diesel emissions shit. I like Kubota but hear stories about that emissions crap.
View Quote

Fair point.  Do you know of any good reading on what the cons are for the emissions regulations?

I don’t care about the policy or the impact on the larger humanity crap.   I want to know how it will affect the machine itself.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 5:10:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Emissions has largely been figured out by now, a newer model wouldn't bother me at all.

I don't know what that tractor retails for but Kubota is offering 0% for 84 months on many new tractors. I'd imagine you're looking at 4% or so financing a used tractor you may not come out ahead.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Emissions has largely been figured out by now, a newer model wouldn't bother me at all.

I don't know what that tractor retails for but Kubota is offering 0% for 84 months on many new tractors. I'd imagine you're looking at 4% or so financing a used tractor you may not come out ahead.
View Quote

I’ll look into that.

If I buy used, I would pay it outright.  If I bought new I’d finance, especially if it’s 0%.  I do think inflation if coming big time.  If I’m wrong, I can pay the tractor off as well.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 8:39:14 PM EDT
[#5]
65 is new cost for the same in blue 75 hp.  50 for the tractor and 15 for the mower.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 10:05:03 PM EDT
[#6]
He's high for a used one.  I can sell a new one for just a few thousand more with cutter. Cash price may even be that or less (I don't have my rebates in front of me).

Would I prefer to have a non emissions M7040?  Yeah.  Would I not buy that one if it were a good price because it has emissions?  Nope.  Like the poster above said, emissions has largely been figured out and that model gives us almost no trouble.  Usually self induced by the operator when it does.

I would not pay that for a used machine.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 12:00:21 AM EDT
[#7]
2020 that’s a m7060 with dpf.
M7040 was pre emissions and a few years older. I think they quit in 2013.

You’d probably be better to get a new one at 0% and put your money to work. Id spec one with 3rd function, 3 remotes and a 12 speed. Shop all brands close to you.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 12:28:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You’d probably be better to get a new one at 0% and put your money to work. Id spec one with 3rd function, 3 remotes and a 12 speed. Shop all brands close to you.
View Quote

Great advice all around.  I’ll go with new and get exactly what I need.  

Kubota is on my radar because of their rep and two or three solid dealers reasonably in my area.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 12:47:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Great advice all around.  I’ll go with new and get exactly what I need.  

Kubota is on my radar because of their rep and two or three solid dealers reasonably in my area.
View Quote

Just throwing out options. New gives you the possibility of a buddy seat in the newest model on that size kubota. Or take your money and buy something used up around 100hp. You haven’t really said what your needs are.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 10:21:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. I’m in the market and I’ve been knee deep researching, looking, etc.

Was going to consider used but with 0% financing it makes sense to buy new. I’ve been considering a M7060 12 speed cab for a while. Now I’m wanting the M4D 071 instead.

I agree with previous posts, that asking price is high.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 10:30:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This. I’m in the market and I’ve been knee deep researching, looking, etc.

Was going to consider used but with 0% financing it makes sense to buy new. I’ve been considering a M7060 12 speed cab for a while. Now I’m wanting the M4D 071 instead.

I agree with previous posts, that asking price is high.
View Quote

Get the deluxe.  That clutch button on the shift lever is worth the extra money alone!
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 10:08:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a 2013 M7040HDC  that I love. Pre-DEF or the other option where the tractor would stop and superheat the engine for emissions (JPL probably knows way more about that).  Bought new at 0% for 7 years.  Cab, AC, etc. Added rear wheel weights, loader, QA bucket and QA bale spikes/pallet fork. Wish I had added a 2nd remote and the air ride seat, but other than that I'm happy.  Pulls a 14' offset disc like nobody's business through hard clay soil.  

I watch the markets occasionally just to see what mine is worth and you can get a pre-ban like mine for $35,000 - $40,000 with less than 1000 hours in excellent shape.  I paid $44K new OTD with the attachments.  Kubota reminds me of Vortex.  They had to undersell their products for years to establish a market presence against Deere and the other big boys.  I think that difference in price is almost gone now since Kubota has a strong dealer network and a great quality product.  My only knock is the plastic wants to go pink fast. I only leave it outside while I am working ground, drilling, etc. which is less than 60 days a year but it is already fairly pink.  JPL is there a solution to that?

Edit to add: It sips the fuel too. I can get close to an hour a gallon pulling an implement as long as I keep it around 1500 rpm.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I moved out to east Texas 4 years ago,  I’m a suburbs (not city) guy and  now I have 60+ acres out here.  My wife is from here so that’s why we moved.  Just to be closer to family.

At the moment all I need a tractor for is to mow.  Nothing else.  I say that, because I dont know what else I can do.  I do not want animals because I know I’ll be the one taking care of them, and I wasn’t raised with that knowledge.

Edit.  I know what a tractor can be used for, specifically I don’t know what I can do with it.  Being a novice.

Part of it is also the economy.  I really believe that inflation is coming harder than previous years, and we are seeing the beginning of that right now.

I want to put my money into stuff that will retain its value and be useful.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 5:39:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
 ....My only knock is the plastic wants to go pink fast. I only leave it outside while I am working ground, drilling, etc. which is less than 60 days a year but it is already fairly pink.  JPL is there a solution to that?
View Quote

I wish.  Trust me, us dealers gripe to higher up about it.  It is much better than it used to be.  

I had a customer take two of his tractors to a body shop and put some sort of high dollar paint on his machines.  That was years ago and they still look good as new.  Only solution I've seen and wasn't a cheap one.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 5:54:22 PM EDT
[#15]
When the regen light starts flashing and she is beeping at you don’t ignore it like my guys to. Once you Brick one it’s back to the dealer.

They have some electrical problems, we pop the main fuse once in a while after we wash them. You would think they would make that shit waterproof on a tractor but apparently they don’t. Also the headlights will oxidize super quick.  Ditch the factory front tires and switch to metric radials.

Otherwise the kubotas are great. Since the 8200 series we used to run we have not done one clutch, have never had to do brakes, 0 major engine problems.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 7:21:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I wish.  Trust me, us dealers gripe to higher up about it.  It is much better than it used to be.  

I had a customer take two of his tractors to a body shop and put some sort of high dollar paint on his machines.  That was years ago and they still look good as new.  Only solution I've seen and wasn't a cheap one.
View Quote

Thanks JPL! I thought maybe a clear coat with UV resistance might help, but I didn't think of that until it was already pink lol
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 11:14:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Just call it your pride tractor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top