Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2020 1:15:35 AM EDT
Who is pumped up about the RPQRF newsletter?
NEWSLETTER

Fingers crossed.
Have not told the dogs yet, but I am Scheduling time off from work starting the last weekend of OCTOBER
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 6:57:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Grew up quail hunting back in the day. Kept Bird dogs until I was in my mid thirties. Rare to see a covey around here now. Good times.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 6:18:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 1:23:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: beardog30] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By USSRangerSM:
Our upland hunting kind of sucks around here, we get some grouse but typically have to go to game Farm‘s for pheasants if you wanna show your dog what birds look like
View Quote

You have great grouse and woodcock hunting in WI...what you talkin' bout willis.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 7:33:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 1:21:19 PM EDT
[#5]

I guess I was more referencing the area that I live, to really get in some grouse I have to travel north a couple of hours. I live more in the central section of Wisconsin and you can get one here and there, maybe my dog sucks
View Quote

I know some fantastic spots within an 1-1.5 hours of central WI.  I had some 7 flush an hour rates late grouse season in WI last year.  PM me this season if you need some spots.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 2:01:04 AM EDT
[#7]

I will do just that, thanks.

I’ve got a four month old GSP but hopefully can do some work this year, would love to put him on some birds
View Quote

That's the best thing for pups...bird contacts and lots of them.  These are bound good woodcock areas as well.  I don't hunt WI early season but I'm sure if you hit the migration just right you could have 10-12 flush an hour rate between grouse and woodcock.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Our upland hunting kind of sucks around here, we get some grouse but typically have to go to game Farm‘s for pheasants if you wanna show your dog what birds look like
View Quote

Last time I was in Black River Falls on an ATV trip our lead ATV driver reported seeing multiple "pheasants" flushing off the trails.  I'm sure what he was seeing were grouse.  If I was near central WI and I wanted a close spot I'd surely be doing some scouting for state or county land with likely habitat out that way.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 9:14:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Posted about it before,
In SE Wi, I know for a fact the bobwhite population is on an up tick.
Buddies farm has 3 differant coveys, peronally sighted and listen to morning calls.
Where I'm at on the Fox river(Kenosha co) I heard my first bobwhite when I was home over the 4 th.
As far as wild pheasant, they are around, even on public land( 8-10 miles from any hunt club or DNR stocking area)
You just have to look where there isn`t typical habitat( wood lots and small patch cover), as this past spring I heard at least 5 roosters crowing in 2 differant parcels.
Pen rasied birds have a 88-90% mortallity rate in the first 2 weeks of release, and this was in April.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 8:01:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I was able to quail hunting last December.  First time in about 40 years.  These birds were pen-raised but still acted like the wild ones I remember growing up.  I managed to get 13 the first day and 15 the second. Man, I had a GREAT time!

Link Posted: 8/20/2020 4:33:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: makintrax73] [#11]
I went down to Black Gap WMA on the Rio Grande in February 2019.  Never saw a bird, but the country is pretty.  If there is some rain maybe this year would be worth it to head back down and chase scalies.  

Tried to hunt public land bob's in TX, but Feb was too late.  Most of the WMA's were closed in Jan despite season being open until February.  3 days of driving was a LOT of driving no to see a bird.   - but the weather in south TX is a lot nicer that time of year than IL.  Had an awesome Huevos Rancheros in Odessa too, despite the locals being....uh.....different that what the rest of TX looked like.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Read the report, congrats on the good news.

I've hunted mountain grouse twice this year with no sign of bird. The ODFW site is backing this up with reports of a down year. I did get out a week ago at a ranch in Eastern Oregon for pheasant and chuckar... got five of each.

Headed out pheasant hunting next week in the west/central part of Oregon. I did read up on quail and found they are plentiful in our southwestern part of the state. Probably a five hour drive but a really pretty part of the state.

I plan on duck/goose hunting from my kayak in the coming months. Goose actually opens in mid-October around me. Looking for a camo cover for my kayak and this seems like a great way to get access to some good waterfowl hunting.

Chuckar from Eastern Oregon
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 12:45:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NAK] [#13]
Well, the recent reports are a lot worst than the early ones for the area we hunt  
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 10:17:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ORARGB:
Read the report, congrats on the good news.

I've hunted mountain grouse twice this year with no sign of bird. The ODFW site is backing this up with reports of a down year. I did get out a week ago at a ranch in Eastern Oregon for pheasant and chuckar... got five of each.

Headed out pheasant hunting next week in the west/central part of Oregon. I did read up on quail and found they are plentiful in our southwestern part of the state. Probably a five hour drive but a really pretty part of the state.

I plan on duck/goose hunting from my kayak in the coming months. Goose actually opens in mid-October around me. Looking for a camo cover for my kayak and this seems like a great way to get access to some good waterfowl hunting.

Chuckar from Eastern Oregon
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/74443/Chuckar_jpg-1610566.JPG
View Quote

Western OR is the most challenging grouse hunting I’ve ever done.  Ruffed grouse were spread thin and cover was never concentrated.  I’d drive 10 miles and fine okay grouse habitat that was 1/2 an acre at best then drive another 10 miles and repeat.

Blue grouse love mountain meadows at elevation.  It could take all day to hike into an area with good blue grouse habitat.  Hunt WA if you want to grouse hunt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top