Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2020 5:39:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: outdoorgb]
Update, post hunt... what's to say, had a blast.
Saturday drive to ranch, driven on a trap course with the Trump rig, big prime rib dinner, bullshit stories, hunt on Sunday.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Picked up a Beretta A 300 for some hunting next month. I have two other shotguns, both pump.

I will be hunting at a ranch with three other guys, guide, dog.

Question: Not certain I'll be on the line the whole time, probably not. I'f I'm back and walking, is loaded, safety on, sling on shoulder an acceptable method of carry for semi-auto shot gun? Any other tips for this type of hunting?

Not new to bird hunting but the semi-auto is new and I've never hunted with this large of a group.

Thanks,

Stock pic of gun.. the stock I have is even darker/richer in color. First shots this week.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Little more digging, this guy states to hold the gun as shown, action open showing others it's open.
So, sling over shoulder OK or bad etiquette? Or, no sling on field gun?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/26/2020 8:39:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By ORARGB:

Question: Not certain I'll be on the line the whole time, probably not. I'f I'm back and walking, is loaded, safety on, sling on shoulder an acceptable method of carry for semi-auto shot gun? Any other tips for this type of hunting?

View Quote

This is acceptable for the group I hunt with, that being said if you fuck up you WILL hear about it. Just ask the group you go with how they want you to handle it as each group does things differently.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 9:05:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Lose the sling
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 10:53:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I've guided upland game for years, I promise no hunter no matter how he carries his gun or experienced he/she is, they will never be behind me.
And muzzle will always will be pointed up. I've seen too many hunters come up for a shot and that's far too dangerous for dogs.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 1:38:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: beardog30] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Idaholandho:
I've guided upland game for years, I promise no hunter no matter how he carries his gun or experienced he/she is, they will never be behind me.
And muzzle will always will be pointed up. I've seen too many hunters come up for a shot and that's far too dangerous for dogs.
View Quote

Except that's a giant waste of muzzle movement and not necessary ... down, then back back and through a flying bird...I like hitting birds...not missing.  Much easier to come up and through your bird when wing shooting.  You're just as likely to come down on a low flying and make an unsafe shot as you are up and through.  At least if you're swing up and through there is a chance gun momentum will take the gun above the dog.

Anyways OP...lose the sling.  Keep it loaded in the field, unload it over obstacles. Carry the gun pointed down or up...to the left if you're on the far left...to the right if you're on the far right.  Just basic common sense.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 2:33:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By beardog30:

Except that's a giant waste of muzzle movement and not necessary ... down, then back back and through a flying bird...I like hitting birds...not missing.  Much easier to come up and through your bird when wing shooting.  You're just as likely to come down on a low flying and make an unsafe shot as you are up and through.  At least if you're swing up and through there is a chance gun momentum will take the gun above the dog.

Anyways OP...lose the sling.  Keep it loaded in the field, unload it over obstacles. Carry the gun pointed down or up...to the left if you're on the far left...to the right if you're on the far right.  Just basic common sense.
View Quote

Birds generally fly up not down. An inexperienced hunter is more likely to shoot a bird low and many times ground sluice if gun is aimed down and they are forced to upswing.
Been guiding for years.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 2:43:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: beardog30] [#7]

Birds generally fly up not down. An inexperienced hunter is more likely to shoot a bird low and many times ground sluice if gun is aimed down and they are forced to upswing.
Been guiding for years.
https://i.imgur.com/YBgzkHe.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Been guiding for years.

Been guiding for years.

Right.. birds fly up not down.  You need to swing through the bird.  Starting muzzle up you come down on the bird and have to swing back through.  Inexperienced hunters are far more likely to siply swing down on the bird from a high muzzle and take a snap shot.  Starting with the muzzle down you just come up and swing through the bird...no wasted movement and the gun is moving to the sky...not the ground.

Just because you have been doing something for years...doesn't mean you haven't been doing it wrong for years...

I can post pictures too and they aren't pen raised ditch chickens...Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 2:46:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cardplayer] [#8]
Originally Posted By beardog30:

Right.. birds fly up not down.  You need to swing through the bird.  Starting muzzle up you come down on the bird and have to swing back through.  Inexperienced hunters are far more likely to siply swing down on the bird from a high muzzle and take a snap shot.  Starting with the muzzle down you just come up and swing through the bird...no wasted movement and the gun is moving to the sky...not the ground.

Just because you have been doing something for years...doesn't mean you haven't been doing it wrong for years...

I can post pictures too and they aren't pen raised ditch chickens...
View Quote

Lol, you think when a bird comes of the ground an inexperienced hunter doesn't instinctively aim down?
You are correct, I haven't been doing it wrong for years. Best of luck.
ETA - so pen raised birds for guided hunts fly differently? You people think they just run around the ground? You think the op isn't hunting pen raised birds? Not legal to guide hunts on public land in Idaho although we have plenty of it champ.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 2:59:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: beardog30] [#9]

Lol, you think when a bird comes of the ground an inexperienced hunter doesn't instinctively aim down?
You are correct, I haven't been doing it wrong for years. Best of luck.
ETA - so pen raised birds for guided hunts fly differently? You people think they just run around the ground? You think the op isn't hunting pen raised birds? Not legal to guide hunts on public land in Idaho although we have plenty of it champ.
View Quote

Not if they are bring the gun up to the bird and not down on the bird...hence barrel below the bird and not above.

No...I just wouldn't call putting people on pen raised birds..."guiding"  it's certainly fun but it isn't guiding...it't putting dogs on dumb, slow, stinky birds that sit tight.

There are plenty of wild bird outfitters in OR, WA, and ID but what does that have to do with your poor shooting mechanics advice?

Link Posted: 8/27/2020 6:21:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Been guiding for years.
View Quote

That photo brought back some fond memories of my youth.  My best friend's Dad trained champion labs, and I remember the smell of the field, the rush of a big rooster flushing just ahead, the crack of a shotgun, and the dog so eagerly doing what it was bred and trained to do.
My poodle loved to hunt, but of course she mostly just blundered around and tried to be cool.

Good times.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 6:43:46 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 7:36:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Been guiding for years.
View Quote

Definitely in agreement with this.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 10:35:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Appreciate the help folks. Sling gone. Heading out today for some clay action. Had a chance last night to cycle through the action with some A-Zoom rounds. Not a whole lot different than a pump, but a few more buttons.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 9:26:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 9:06:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FritzTKatt] [#15]
I hunt by myself or with just the wife. We're on line when afield. I sling in the woods, carry in the field. Muzzle up when slung unless it's raining. Generally carried at port arms (well, starboard arms, because I'm a southpaw).

How you carry your gun is between you and the others, as well as being somewhat useful. Sometimes on the longer walks afield I'll go baby cradled like the thumbnail of the video. If I'm following, might go to shoulder-arms.

That unloaded/action open thing is retarded. Point the gun in a safe direction, keep your booger hook off the bang button, and use the safety. If you can't handle that you shouldn't be hunting (not calling anyone out, just saying).

I'm dummy excited for dove tomorrow!

ETA: I'll carry my gun to the dove field slung, but when I sit down, I'm going to take the sling off.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 10:02:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Another question. I asked the guy who puts this hunt together (he's gone five years) what shot I need?

He said 7 1/2 or 8
I have both and in game loads as well as target (we shoot skeet day before hunt).

We will hunt both pheasant and chuckar. No expert but don't I want 4/6 shot for these birds?
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 1:56:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ORARGB:
Another question. I asked the guy who puts this hunt together (he's gone five years) what shot I need?

He said 7 1/2 or 8
I have both and in game loads as well as target (we shoot skeet day before hunt).

We will hunt both pheasant and chuckar. No expert but don't I want 4/6 shot for these birds?
View Quote

6's will do the trick on pen raised pheasant and are perfect for chukar.  7.5's and 8's are too light for pheasant.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks, that was my thought.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 7:00:19 AM EDT
[#19]
When actually hunting, I carry round in chamber on safe.  Gun at port arms.  Always, Always, remember finger off trigger and muzzle awareness.  Never let your muzzle sweep anything your not welling to destroy.  Doesn't matter if a game drive, 360 range or dismounted combat patrol.  

CD
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 8:01:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
When actually hunting, I carry round in chamber on safe.  Gun at port arms.  Always, Always, remember finger off trigger and muzzle awareness.  Never let your muzzle sweep anything your not welling to destroy.  Doesn't matter if a game drive, 360 range or dismounted combat patrol.  

CD
View Quote

Yup.  I have a sling on my waterfowl gun. It gets used when moving around.  I don't use a sling hunting upland birds.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 10:52:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By johnh57:

Yup.  I have a sling on my waterfowl gun. It gets used when moving around.  I don't use a sling hunting upland birds.
View Quote

I can see a sling on a waterfowl gun as when not hunting, its used when carrying and retrieving all your stuff.

CD
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 3:40:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Bring the sling rolled in your gear. Stuff it in a pocket - light weight & small. If you need it, you have the use of it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 11:09:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Loose the sling. it has no business on an upland bird hunt.  There should be nothing in your hand but your shotgun.  

Chambered round. On safe.  Index finger curled around the pistol grip (or stock if you have a broomstick).
The "Finger on the Safety" or forward of the trigger guard  is a really bad plan.  If stumbling, the instinct is to clutch pistol grip...I have seen this lead to dragging the finger across the safety, flipping it, then hitting the trigger.

If you are actively handling a dog, you should not have a closed breach/bolt.

With Pheasant, we seriously enforce the line!!!! Two steps in front or two  behind is too much.

Hunter on the line may carry barrel down, with two hands or at ready, with two hands.  No over the shoulder carry allowed.  No waving a gun in the air with one hand.  

Anyone behind the line, regardless of the reason, needs an open breach/bolt, and should carrying over the shoulder.

Link Posted: 9/10/2020 10:05:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: makintrax73] [#24]
Interesting discussion.  I carry muzzle up or port arms for a very simple reason - it's very easy to stumble into a hole or over a tree or shrub and I don't want my muzzle jammed into the dirt if it happens.  I also find it easier to keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction in the event of a stumble, or just busting through cover, because the muzzle is in the air where you can move it, not down where it is jammed into the cover and thus much harder to direct.

That being said a I avoid group hunts, and with one or two guys I trust I don't care how they do it as long as they keep their finger off the trigger and don't muzzle sweep me or my dogs.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 12:37:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Updated OP with some pics... Thanks for the input guys.

No sling, was not needed. We were spread for wide...just shoot in your lane. I was left walking down the draw. Lots of action.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 5:18:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Having a blast with the Berretta A300

More hunting this past week

Attachment Attached File

Remy Magnum sitting in for A300, went turkey hunting yesterday and it was handy
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 4:16:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cviss] [#27]
oh nice playing the ex vp on tv now... i hope you didnt hit anyone...

nice looking shorthair...
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 7:17:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: patdyespants] [#28]
Congrats on the good hunt.  Nice pics.

But man why would you lay a fine shotgun down on the rocks and dirt??
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 7:42:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Never seen anyone upland bird hunting with a sling. Cradle it, rest it on your shoulder, grab it around the receiver with your hand, just make sure your muzzle never points at anyone.

Mines loaded as soon as I step out of the truck until I get back in the truck.

Gratuitous hunt pics...

E&F Drop The Hammer by FredMan, on Flickr

Palmer Bag by FredMan, on Flickr

Rooster M2 by FredMan, on Flickr

GP014759-2 by FredMan, on Flickr

GP014759-3 by FredMan, on Flickr

Snow Flush by FredMan, on Flickr

Flushing Rooster by FredMan, on Flickr

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top