Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2023 9:04:27 PM EDT
I there a cover for the USGI mess kit? the old style 2 pans, one with center separator.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 10:48:01 PM EDT
[#1]
i don't think there was ever a soft cover/carrier for the GI mess kit. Probably would fit in a 2 quart canteen carrier.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 10:57:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Used to be 1910 meat can pouch

Link to pouch

Link Posted: 10/28/2023 11:34:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

man thats old....
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:21:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Boy scout kit had a pouch and sling, might fit?
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:13:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:18:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Take your kit to a thrift store find a closed purse or clutch that will fit
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 2:27:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Also take a look at Coleman’s military surplus- they have a lot of different pouches, and provide measurements in the descriptions.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 8:33:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TigerForce] [#8]
Follow-up to above post, and BTT: I just received one of these from Coleman’s- couldn’t pass up the price for a condition 2 (used) one, and it’s larger than another, newer digital camouflage IFAK pouch I have from them. They’re currently sold out of these in new condition, but have used ones still listed:

US GI IFAK Pouch - Coyote

It’s Para-X brand, and does not have a typical military description/NSN patch on it. It measures 7-3/4 inches H x 6-3/4 in. W x 2-1/4 in. deep, measured along the seams- my measurements are slightly different than the ones in their description.

A Vietnam era (“U.S., REGAL 1966, DSA-4-02661-TR530”) GI mess kit similar to what you describe fits fine, with a little room to spare. It has one non-rigid cordura partition, located near the front/outer side. It could easily hold a mess kit, a utensil set, plus 1-2 individual side dish pouches from a MRE- NOT an entire full- size MRE pouch, though. The top flap easily closes over the mess kit. The utensil set I have is a Swedish military surplus set which nests together, and measures 8 inches in length. I don’t know whether a U.S. military surplus utensil set would fit.

The one I received is in fair to good condition- lightly stained, even after hand washing, slightly worn, but plenty of useful life still left in it. No hook and loop closure as in their description, just a sturdy plastic closure like the one shown in the photo. I’ll probably use it for an IFAK, since I like the larger than usual size, but it could work fine for carrying a mess kit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top