Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 1:07:40 AM EDT
[#1]

No passing it on to the next generation to run anymore... 37 years is a good run either way.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 1:08:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Never bought anything from them, but still sad to see them go. Another Covid casualty I would suspect.

I spoke to one of the smaller dealers the other day and they said the supply chain is unable to keep up with demand. It's hard to stay in business if you can't get inventory or be able to compete.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 1:19:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Yikes, if their used list is accurate, that's a ton of stuff that isn't paper... https://www.universal-radio.com/alert.html
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 9:53:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Its sad to see them go.  I've bought stuff from them, and their website is great for looking up discontinued equipment.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I spoke to one of the smaller dealers the other day and they said the supply chain is unable to keep up with demand. It's hard to stay in business if you can't get inventory or be able to compete.
View Quote

I talked to one smaller vendor on Saturday.  He said that some of the items they sell that are made in Taiwan have been on backorder for almost a year!  Its hard to have sales and stay in business when you can't get things to sell....
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 10:31:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Sad to see them go, but I hope (but am doubtful) that people will see the fragility of supply chain and start changing their business models to protect against that. Maybe more made in the USA products, etc. but I won't bet on it...
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 11:25:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Hams are too damned cheap. To make a profit and stay in business it would be almost impossible if you had to sell US made products.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 11:39:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I spent quite a bit with them long ago. I checked and I'd only bought a few things in the last 10-15 years (My 817 being one of them)
but in the 90's that's where I got my Icom R-71A and R-7000.

It doesn't look all that COVID related to me, just retiring. A store like that would be very hard to sell, I know HRO has bought one or two,
but I don't see the motive for them to add in this environment.

Sad to see them go, more competition is better.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 11:41:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Doesnt help that many people ride the same rig for a decade or more.  Not exactly a large return business market. I myself will wait 6 months to hit a hamfest for the deals instead of impulse buy new.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 11:54:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hams are too damned cheap. To make a profit and stay in business it would be almost impossible if you had to sell US made products.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/23/2020 12:08:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Doesnt help that many people ride the same rig for a decade or more.  Not exactly a large return business market. I myself will wait 6 months to hit a hamfest for the deals instead of impulse buy new.
View Quote

When I was a new ham I would change radios frequently. Now for me to change rigs it has to be a "game changer" type model to catch my attention and want to part with my money.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 12:28:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Elecraft is a good example of a US radio company with a seemingly good market share. We need more companies like that.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 1:53:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 7:17:57 PM EDT
[#13]

They tended to be a few bucks higher on radios, but often cheaper for accessories

I've bought a ton of stuff from them

Link Posted: 11/23/2020 9:55:33 PM EDT
[#14]
QRZ said he said he was just retiring out and it was time.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 2:11:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly. I started repairing amplifiers and some radios for a while but soon figured out that it's not worth the time and efforts. People want a 5 hour repair done for $50 and then will try to bargain another $20 off.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 2:54:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought quite a bit of stuff from them over the years.

I am sorry to see them go, but, I do understand about retiring-
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 4:23:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Sad to see them go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top