Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2022 10:20:23 AM EDT
Ok. End of June the fam is embarking on a ~6k mile road trip.

Overnight Stops:
Sioux Falls
Custer
Big horn
Glacier
Yellowstone
Estes park
Pawhuska (daughter demanded some pioneer wimmenz stop).

Anyway we will have extra time in the black hills and I want to rig up some gear to do a little trout fishing while we’re in Custer. Looks like our campsite is a few miles from stockade lake.

Issues:
Do not have time to gear up and learn fly fishing
Have equip for spinner setups
Want to catch a few trout with my 12 year old while wife and daughter do some horseback riding.

I’ve been trying to figure out the best way to go at it and thought I’d drop a line here to see if anyone has suggestions that would help raise the odds of my little dude catching one.

Experience: pond fishing, lake fishing from bank for cats/bream but that’s about it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 10:26:34 AM EDT
[#1]
black/gold rapalas
rainbow rapalas
kastmasters in various sizes/colors

You should be good!
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 10:50:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 11:53:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I’ve never shore fished a lake for trout. I’ve boat trolled for lake trout on a charter and done some small spinners on an ultralight for stream fishing.

Quite different as one may weigh a dozen pounds, the other a dozen ounces.

Couldn’t tell you what lure to use in the Dakotas. I’d probably start with a red Black Fury, then try white. Maybe a stick bait if the spinner isn’t working.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 12:11:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Skg_Mre_Lght:
Joe's flies, Panther Martin's, wet and dry flies with a "Thingamabobber" strike indicator for weight, and Mepps will cover stream fishing.

Kastmasters for reservoirs.
View Quote

0 experience or gear for fly fishing though. Trip is 2 months out without any available weekends to gear or learn.
Or are you saying I can put them shits on a regular rig?
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 12:17:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Clear float, then flouracarbon leader,, for fly match the hatch. Black caddis, works well on high lakes in the West. Regs
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 12:34:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I usually start fishing any location with a tan Rebel Crickhopper with black eyes. It tells me the mood of the fish. If I don't get any attention, my expectations are dismal. I've caught stocked trout with it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 1:00:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 1:21:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, you can "fly fish" with spinning tackle with a rig like I posted above. The Thingamabobber adds weight to use the flies with spinning tackle since you won't have the wight of the line to cast like a fly rod.
View Quote

Lol. Kickass. Sorry if I sound retarded. I never graduated past worm and occasional crankbait fishing

I’ll look into the recommendations
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 6:17:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I know this has nothing to do with fishing, so I'll apologize in advance. I guess you are talking about Pawhuska , Ok when you said the Pioneer women. Their is a place called Woolaroc that is not too far from Pawhuska that is a really neat place for the whole family. It is kind of a drive-thru animal park with several museum bldgs. etc. It is the one place in Oklahoma I really recommend someone going to. Their website is  www.woolaroc.com  I believe. They have a huge gun collection, with a lot of old west guns. They also have anything from shrunken heads to a lot of artwork. It's really hard to describe. Anyway, it's just a thought. Enjoy your trip, sounds like fun!
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:59:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Awesome Youtube Channel. Addicted Fishing

Lots of videos on Trout, Lake and Stream.   Pay attention to the knots, line recommendations (hi-vis braid & Flourocarbon bumper/leader) and rigging.

Stuff works!

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:48:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, you can "fly fish" with spinning tackle with a rig like I posted above. The Thingamabobber adds weight to use the flies with spinning tackle since you won't have the wight of the line to cast like a fly rod.
View Quote

You keep saying "thingamabobber" but you mean "casting bubble".

A thingamabobber is light weight, used by fly fishermen as a strike indicator, a casting bubble is clear and can be filled with water for mile long casts. Your then tie on a swivel, a leader and a fly like a woolybugger, cast it out and very slowly reel it in

Thingamabobber

Casting bubble

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 9:18:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 1:48:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok. Think I’m all set. Casting bubbles, braided line, fluorocarbon leaders, spinners.

Re-strung the reels today and set up leaders so we can hit the ground running in the black hills.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 2:06:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: forsyth793] [#14]
Find a card of Mepp's French Spinners..........https://www.mepps.com/about-us/mepps-spinner-hand-assembled-in-the-usa.php

Link Posted: 5/15/2022 3:21:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MonkeyGrip] [#15]
Look for a fishing shop near where you're going and visit it before you go fishing.  They will hook you up, explain the regs, point out specific locations, give you tips.... etc.  It may be a fly shop... but they'll help you out.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 4:23:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Check out this guy for using Spinners
for trout on YouTube.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 5:01:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By MonkeyGrip:
Look for a fishing shop near where you're going and visit it before you go fishing.  They will hook you up, explain the regs, point out specific locations, give you tips.... etc.  It may be a fly shop... but they'll help you out.
View Quote

Won’t have that much time. We’re rolling 6k miles in 10 days  wife and daughter doing horseback something or another and me and the wee one will fish and break camp. Black hills to big horn in the afternoon. We’re just going to run with what we brung. Win or lose we will always have the memory.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:13:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Take some marabou jigs in various colors and sizes. I've caught many a trout in allot of those places on jigs.

Link Posted: 6/11/2022 4:40:01 PM EDT
[#19]
They will hit the shit out of spinners. If they are biting. I have caught lots of trout on spinners. This is not me, but shows it is true. Small ones will kill a 1/4oz spinner.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 9:03:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Is the advice given here for SD also a good place to start for a guy trying to catch trout in western Colorado? Lakes, streams, etc

I’ve only bass fished back east. Trout are completely new to me but I’m camping near Meeker for a week and will be taking a couple spinning rigs.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 9:30:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Get yourself a small collection of "rooster tails". Dark ones for when its light out side and light ones for when the sun goes down. I mostly catch and release so I remove the treble hooks and replace them with a high quality single barbless hook.
https://www.yakimabait.com/products/original-rooster-tail/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top