Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2019 11:12:25 AM EDT
Title. All my life I've fished for bass and gar and crappie in small creeks. I'm going to Northern Wisconsin for a couple weeks this summer, and I realized I have no idea what bait to use. My go-to is a medium size hook with a white worm. I've heard they like spinners? It'll be in small rivers if that matters.

Also, do they have teeth? Do I need a leader? Can I fat finger their mouth or do I need a jaw holder?
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 11:59:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Victor223:
Title. All my life I've fished for bass and gar and crappie in small creeks. I'm going to Northern Wisconsin for a couple weeks this summer, and I realized I have no idea what bait to use. My go-to is a medium size hook with a white worm. I've heard they like spinners? It'll be in small rivers if that matters.

Also, do they have teeth? Do I need a leader? Can I fat finger their mouth or do I need a jaw holder?
View Quote
I havent been up that way nor have I fished for trout in years, but the small streams I have fished here in pa has strictly been spinning or meal worms. Never got into fly fishing, but I used panther Martin or rooster tail spinners without sinkers. I have a couple 5'6" ultra light rods and reels, I take 2 because I have broke them. Trout do have teeth, but generally the average size here it's not much. I more less scoop them up vs grabbing  there mouths like bass. Just get a good vest, pliers, lures, smaller hooks and sinkers if you do use a type or meal worm or power bait. Couple rod/reel setups, and a good set of waders if you dont have them. Also get the normal pliers and line snips if you havent. Trout here are usually around 12" or smaller, there are some bigger ones but it depends on what's stocked. Native trout are about 6" where I use to fish.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 2:55:23 PM EDT
[#2]
What he said.  Panther Martin type spinners, get several different colors.  Small swivel snaps are nice. No special leaders needed, 6-8 lb test line will be plenty.  Get the spinners small, 1/8 oz.

You’re not fly fishing, but some guys like a small, clear bubble and a fly 3’ behind it.

Small trout have small mouths, and you’ll catch your share of small ones.  Some decent hemostats are great for unhooking trout.   You may even have to cut one of the treble hooks off the spinners.  They can be a bear to unhook without killing the little fish.

Nothing wrong with a little power bait or salmon eggs on a single small hook.  Get some small splitshot too.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 3:02:37 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're releasing them they are a bit fragile.  Lose the treble hooks and crimp the barbs.  If they start bleeding out of the gills, they're toast.

Panther Martins, Thomas Cyclones, Mepps, Small Rapalas, will all work.

Not enough teeth to fray leaders.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 3:09:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Mepps French Spinner
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 5:25:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Trout have small but sharp teeth, like a rasp (unless it’s a pretty big trout)
After a day of catching them, your thumbs will be all shredded up, but not bloody.
Kind of a neat reminder of your fishing trip for the return to drudgery when you go back to work.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 11:01:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Luhr super Duper in the smallest size. I use silver/red or white/red.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 3:14:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Do not grab them by the jaw, they are fragile.
Along with the other recommendations, try Kastmasters too.  Smallest size.
Joe's flies are great too:  https://joesflies.com/
I'm not sure of the water you are fishing, and the trout sizes, but around here I don't go over 4lb.  I also use flouro.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 2:31:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pagoda:
Do not grab them by the jaw, they are fragile.
Along with the other recommendations, try Kastmasters too.  Smallest size.
Joe's flies are great too:  https://joesflies.com/
I'm not sure of the water you are fishing, and the trout sizes, but around here I don't go over 4lb.  I also use flouro.
View Quote
@pagoda

What tradeoffs have you seen with fluoro?

I still use mono, but I'm thinking about going to fluoro.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 3:02:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By johnh57:
If you're releasing them they are a bit fragile.  Lose the treble hooks and crimp the barbs.  If they start bleeding out of the gills, they're toast.

Panther Martins, Thomas Cyclones, Mepps, Small Rapalas, will all work.

Not enough teeth to fray leaders.
View Quote
All of this, plus  vibrax spinners.  Salmon eggs, earthworms, and power bait can also work.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 3:34:29 AM EDT
[#10]
All of the above work well. Small Hopkin’s spoons are also really effective. My go-to’s...
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 12:37:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pagoda] [#11]
Originally Posted By timthemedic:
@pagoda

View Quote
@timthemedic
I haven't noticed any real differences.  Feels similar, knots similar, seems to have similar strength.
I just have to hope it is more transparent under water.  
I DO have to pay more for it, though.  But fishing line is probably the least of my expenses.  

ETA:  Oh, and Trilene XL Mono @ 4lb is .20mm diameter.  Trilene Flouro is .17mm.  
So a bit of a bonus there.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 12:50:40 PM EDT
[#12]
@timthemedic
I haven't noticed any real differences.  Feels similar, knots similar, seems to have similar strength.
I DO have to pay more for it, though.  But fishing line is probably the least of my expenses.  

ETA:  Oh, and Trilene XL Mono @ 4lb is .20mm diameter.  Trilene Flouro is .17mm.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
@pagoda

@timthemedic

It's more sensitive than mono and doesn't stretch as much. I use flouro leaders on my gear, which seems to work better at fooling the fish.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 1:19:35 AM EDT
[#13]
@timthemedic

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
@pagoda

@timthemedic

Thanks, appreciate the response.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top