Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2019 2:53:31 PM EDT
My old Brunton/Manfrotto head is worn out.

What tripod head are you using to glass?

Would it support a rifle when using something like the Kopfjaeger Reaper Grip?

I would like to find something that has one lever to lock the head in place and is strong enough to support a rifle on a tripod.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but it seems to get a lot of traffic from experts.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 3:12:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My old Brunton/Manfrotto head is worn out.

What tripod head are you using to glass?

Would it support a rifle when using something like the Kopfjaeger Reaper Grip?

I would like to find something that has one lever to lock the head in place and is strong enough to support a rifle on a tripod.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but it seems to get a lot of traffic from experts.  
View Quote
You might want to post this in the Precision Rifle forum and cross your fingers.

Chris
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 5:22:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You might want to post this in the Precision Rifle forum and cross your fingers.

Chris
View Quote
Advice taken.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 7:01:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Might want to post in the Photo forum too...
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 10:03:22 PM EDT
[#4]
No idea whatsoever.  good luck.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 3:22:11 AM EDT
[#5]
If you are wanting to mount a rifle and walk away without concern of the unit falling over you need one of two things. Exceptional quality or weight.

I have a Gitzo Carbon mountaineer tripod with arca Swiss head that would do it, but you're looking at about a grand. It's not so much what the system weighs, as long as it will hold the weight. In that, my gitzo has a hook at the bottom that will hold sand bags and the arca ball is rated for about 15ish pounds. The whole setup is about 6 pounds as I remember.

Heavy systems will work well also and are much less money. It just depends on how mobile you are looking to be, or if you have a pack mule.

If you are not looking to mount a rifle and walk away you could get away with the medium size manfrotto ball heads that have a friction control lever. They are very reasonable.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 8:49:28 PM EDT
[#6]
OK, now I get it.  OP has a failure of a tripod head--critical/expensive part, probably only available from foreign mfr.  If still available.

No help for OP on my part, now that I understand.  I feel your pain.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 9:12:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

OK, now I get it.  OP has a failure of a tripod head--critical/expensive part, probably only available from foreign mfr.  If still available.

No help for OP on my part, now that I understand.  I feel your pain.
View Quote
They make replacement heads from anywhere between $40 and $900.

Don't know the tripod, so I can't say...

Chris
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 2:06:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Your confusion is due to my inability to write well.

I'll try again.

I have a Manfrotto tripod with a Brunton grip action tripod head.  The tripod head is actually a Brunton made by Manfrotto.  Manfrotto will not service the wore out head.  It's probably 15 years old and has a seen many miles.  It will no longer support any weight.

I wanted something lighter than my Manfrotto tripod so I bought the Night Stalker tripod. It came with a ball head.  It works, but is not really good to glass with, but it will support a rifle.

My question:  I was wondering if anyone knew of a tripod head that has one lever to scan / lock in place to use with binoculars and was also strong enough to support a rifle.

Thanks for your response.

EDIT:  My budget is $250.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 6:23:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I've used the fuck out of a Manfrotto 410, but you aren't going to like carrying it. The 11lbs capacity is a joke. We put 30# rifles on them fairly regularly.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 11:26:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Chris
View Quote
Or in small game and trapping section a few below this sub forum. Lots of predator hunters in there.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 8:36:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I’m running the newer RRS carbon fiber TriPod with Anvil30 head from Mile High Shooting.
It’s small light weight and can support 40lbs.
I run all my long range precision rifles on it and even my belt feds seem to approve.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 11:33:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I’m running the newer RRS carbon fiber TriPod with Anvil30 head from Mile High Shooting.
It’s small light weight and can support 40lbs.
I run all my long range precision rifles on it and even my belt feds seem to approve.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/46736/72EA45B6-DA86-4C39-9E58-9D24919C7DE6_jpeg-1206676.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/46736/34611A6D-3647-478C-A8D0-D12021497211_jpeg-1206678.JPG
View Quote
That's some serious stuff right there!  Very cool.  (a tad bit out of my price range)

Thanks for all of your responses, I'm still using the head that came with the Night Stalker Tripod.  It's a good head for the money, I just wanted something with a lever.

I will find something sooner or later and report back for those of you that might be interested.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top