Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/2/2020 10:14:16 AM EDT
I wasn't sure whether to post this in Homesteading or Hunting, so I'm posting it in the General Outdoors.  I am looking for some advice/ direction on this issue.

I bought this house/property a few years ago.  My neighbor was here for about 10 years or so.  For the most part, he is OK...  There is one nagging issue.  Him and his friends continue to use my property to get to the back side of his property.  When we first moved in, I made it clear that I didn't want anyone on the property without my permission.  He was caught by my wife about a year ago, clearing a trail along the side of my property.  Again, we made it clear that was not OK.  I thought that was the end of it.  

I was over on that side of the property about 4-5 weeks ago with my friend, on our quads.  It looked as if no one had been back there lately.  Now, I just went back there this past weekend, and the path is cut again.  I'm assuming because it is right before hunting season.

Here is my issue: It doesn't seem to work when I just talk to him and tell him no.  I don't want to be too aggressive and ruin the relationship with the neighbor.  I understand that it is my right to be a d1ck, but I prefer to live without the stress of it.  Due to the location of the path/ land, any action that I take would be 100% obvious that it is directed at him.  There is no one else that has access to the area.  If I do No Trespassing signs or the police, it would definitely sour the relationship.

I should add, we are not friends, but he is friends with my friends/family.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:20:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Post it, you said you are not friends and he obviously has no respect for your property rights.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:21:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Install a gate.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:21:58 AM EDT
[#3]
"why" is he using that path ?     Is it the only way due to terrain ?   Perhaps acknowledge you'd want the same in a reverse situation and ask him to pay a "toll".   (favor, food , etc).  If he's an ungrateful asshole and thinks land rights are an extension of his convenience, I'd fell a few trees and block the sumbitch.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:22:57 AM EDT
[#4]
You've got one or two choices.  Man up with a face to face letting him know in no uncertain terms that he's trespassing and it won't be tolerated any longer (since he isn't a friend of yours) OR live with it and stop complaining.  Me; I'd barricade the path as well as post it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:30:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Can you just drop a couple trees to force him to reroute his path back onto his property?
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:37:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Post it.

You said he isn't your friend, and he sure as shit isn't acting like one. He could ask you for permission to cut thru your land to get to another spot on his, but he doesn't, which is complete BS... even after you explained to him that's what he needs to do.

It is your land. He obviously does not respect that nor does he respect you and your desire to not have him trespass on your property.

Post it. Put up a trail cam to document his transgressions. Video evidence will come in handy should the courts/law become involved.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:37:19 AM EDT
[#7]
The afternoon before the opener, drop a full blown abatis on the trail.

and/or send him a bill for the damage payable in 30 days net.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:37:25 AM EDT
[#8]
How big a parcel of land are you talking?  What is the terrain like?  How often does he he trespass on you land?  Is he causing any permanent or temporary damage?  Are his actions causing you a loss?  

If it bothers you.  Post, block, camera, and legal action with a cease and desist letter from your lawyer.

If it doesn't bother you, ignore his action.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:40:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"why" is he using that path ?     Is it the only way due to terrain ?   Perhaps acknowledge you'd want the same in a reverse situation and ask him to pay a "toll".   (favor, food , etc).  If he's an ungrateful asshole and thinks land rights are an extension of his convenience, I'd fell a few trees and block the sumbitch.
View Quote

The broader answer is to get to the back of his property for hunting season(s).  Turkey and deer...

The reason that he can't use his own property:  His property is covered in sh1t.  Both literally and figuratively.  The far side of his property is cluttered with trailers and other BS.  He won't cross the rest of his property because he would have to jump/ drive over his own fences and through his animal pastures, which are covered in sh1t.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:42:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The broader answer is to get to the back of his property for hunting season(s).  Turkey and deer...

The reason that he can't use his own property:  His property is covered in sh1t.  Both literally and figuratively.  The far side of his property is cluttered with trailers and other BS.  He won't cross the rest of his property because he would have to jump/ drive over his own fences and through his animal pastures, which are covered in sh1t.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

then fuck him.   He's a fungus and is spreading into your property.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:46:22 AM EDT
[#11]
No trespassing signs with bullet holes and streamers on the posts (for wind dope)?  12-gauge slug holes are the best bullet holes.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:48:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How big a parcel of land are you talking?  What is the terrain like?  How often does he he trespass on you land?  Is he causing any permanent or temporary damage?  Are his actions causing you a loss?  

If it bothers you.  Post, block, camera, and legal action with a cease and desist letter from your lawyer.

If it doesn't bother you, ignore his action.
View Quote

It started as about 200 yards of a two-track path.  Because it has been eroded, it has turned into a 200 yard long, 30 ft wide path.  It has eroded due to his tractor and quad.

Only during the hunting seasons.  Maybe 25% of the year.  Since it is him and friends, almost every day during the seasons.

Yes, it was flat land before, now it is deeply rutted.  I'd call it temporary damage.

No loss to me.  I don't really go on that side of the property.

I know that I could sound like I'm whining, but I'm trying to resolve this without being stupid.  I would love to tell him to f@ck off.  I don't want to live with a larger neighbor conflict.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 11:06:00 AM EDT
[#13]
The guy is driving a tractor onto your property? And quads?

W.T.F?

30ft. wide eroded and rutted 200 yard path?

W.T.F?

A BIG difference between tractors vs. hoping a fence and walking.

Yeah, fuck that shit.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 11:11:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
I learned a new word.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 11:16:31 AM EDT
[#15]
If he gets hurt on your land driving his tractor and quads, watch him sue you. He can't just use your land because it's convient for him. He needs to build his own access point to the area behind his property and clean up his shit.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 11:25:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
When we first moved in, I made it clear that I didn't want anyone on the property without my permission.  He was caught by my wife about a year ago, clearing a trail along the side of my property.  Again, we made it clear that was not OK.  I thought that was the end of it.  

Now, I just went back there this past weekend, and the path is cut again.

Here is my issue: It doesn't seem to work when I just talk to him and tell him no.  I don't want to be too aggressive and ruin the relationship with the neighbor.  I understand that it is my right to be a d1ck, but I prefer to live without the stress of it.
View Quote

Not sure why you don't want to "be a dick" to him when he is clearly being a dick to you. You can either "be a dick" and make him stop, or keep letting him walk all over you and disrespect you.

Personally, I would clearly post it, tell him to stop coming on your land, and inform him that you tried handling it nicely by simply requesting that he stay off your land, but if he does again, you will have to get law enforcement involved.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

W.T.F?

W.T.F?

Yeah, fuck that shit.
View Quote

I'm assuming to tend to the feed plot and clear the brush on the back of his land.  If they were walking back, I would have never noticed.  It has gotten to the point, when I hear his quad, I look out from my second story balcony and watch him drive back there.

So far, I think the best suggestions are putting up trees and other debris in the path, and moving a couple trail cams over there.  If it does get worse, I will escalate it, with the camera footage.

Link Posted: 10/2/2020 11:31:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Not sure why you don't want to "be a dick" to him when he is clearly being a dick to you. You can either "be a dick" and make him stop, or keep letting him walk all over you and disrespect you.

Personally, I would clearly post it, tell him to stop coming on your land, and inform him that you tried handling it nicely by simply requesting that he stay off your land, but if he does again, you will have to get law enforcement involved.
View Quote
This, especially considering the damage and consequent erosion.

If you mentioned how much land we are talking about, I missed it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 11:39:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Sounds like a nice spot for a shooting range.  Build a berm, and invite friends over the day before opening season.  Shoot the shit out of all your firearms.  

Bet there won't be any deer around on opening day.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 11:42:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Stop access now.  Any means necessary.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 11:50:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I learned a new word.

Thank you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I learned a new word.

Thank you.

Its in the field manual.

Well we seem to be out of field manuals Captain, can you enlighten us?
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 11:52:11 AM EDT
[#22]
The guy is clearly a dick and doesn't care about your neighboring relations so why should you? You're being taken advantage of.

Plant something like Myrtle trees, on the property line, by the trailhead. They're colorful, smell nice, and relatively inexpensive.
Put up cameras and if he destroys any of them, he can learn his lesson by paying to have them replaced.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 11:54:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Stop access now.  Any means necessary.
View Quote
posts, chains, lock.  Add a reflector or two.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 12:04:15 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd post it now.  The longer it goes on, the more he'll be able to claim easement rights.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 12:04:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm assuming to tend to the feed plot and clear the brush on the back of his land.  If they were walking back, I would have never noticed.  It has gotten to the point, when I hear his quad, I look out from my second story balcony and watch him drive back there.

So far, I think the best suggestions are putting up trees and other debris in the path, and moving a couple trail cams over there.  If it does get worse, I will escalate it, with the camera footage.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

W.T.F?

W.T.F?

Yeah, fuck that shit.

Now you're telling us you can see him riding his quad, on YOUR land, from your second floor balcony.

Fuck. That. Shit.

If I were you, I would be ending his transgressions against you without haste.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 12:12:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Fence, cameras and a letter from your lawyer.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 12:19:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Caltrops are the answer
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 12:21:09 PM EDT
[#28]
string barbed wire across the path 1' above ground level and 4' above ground level..

do it every 30-40'. post a sign that says trespassers may be shot on site

neighbor will get the point.

Quoted:
Caltrops are the answer
View Quote

I cant find any good ones.. been looking for a while, I'm shit with a welder..
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 12:28:02 PM EDT
[#29]
First I would talk to him to let him know you are having problems with trespassers and hope to resolve the issue without involving the police.  I wouldn't say it is HIM at first, but let him come to that conclusion..I would act like I don't know who is doing it..  Because he doesn't give a shit about you, your wishes, or your property, post it, put up game cameras, and enforce the no trespassing.  

Your choices are to enforce the no trespassing, or live with it.  It really is that simple.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 12:29:28 PM EDT
[#30]
buried spike strips. I know how expensive tractor tires are. He would do it exactly once.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 12:33:04 PM EDT
[#31]
HUUUUUUUUUGE difference between an atv path and an eroded 30 ft wide swath of ruts.   He'll be parking trailers there before Christmas.   End it now.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 12:44:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Sounds like a nice spot for a shooting range.  Build a berm, and invite friends over the day before opening season.  Shoot the shit out of all your firearms.  

View Quote

If you don't hunt I'd go with this.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 12:59:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Put in a fence, and cameras, cut a ditch across his trail, put in a blocking cable. Get proof of him cutting fences / tresspassing, and get sheriff involved, tresspass him etc. Or shut the fuck up, and  learn to love  the tresspassing.  

Theres probably no third option like asking sweetly,
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 12:59:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This...

In this situation, you either be a dick or get the dick, you call, not a lot of variance here.

I could understand if he owned a parcel of land behind yours and needed a passage way in, but just because its easier to cross you land than his own land; Na, fuck a bunch of that...

Spray all the trees purple, post the shit out of "No Trespassing signs", I'd even think about stringing barbed wire and fell some logs blocking paths...
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 1:02:15 PM EDT
[#35]
In Florida, trespassing armed with a firearm, is a felony. Post your property and if possible, fence or gate that access area. Liability could be an issue too, if he or someone else gets hurt, they can say you allowed them to use your property to access theirs.  
Stop being the nice guy.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 1:04:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
In Florida, trespassing armed with a firearm, is a felony. Post your property. Liability could be an issue too, if he or someone else gets hurt, they can say you allowed them to use your property to access theirs.  
Stop being the nice guy.
View Quote

Yup. Didnt realize it was florida. You see him enter, call the cops / game warden and hes fucked when he walks out with gun in hand.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 1:11:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Length of garden hose or PVC pipe then.

Drill a ton of holes in it and put nails through the holes.    DYI spike strip.   Find hard packed/dry soil and bury it if you dont want it to be seen.   Leave it above the soil of you do want it to be seen.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 1:14:57 PM EDT
[#38]
I suppose mines are out of the question.  Darn ATF sucks the fun right out of everything.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 1:24:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Posted it, and do it now.  The longer you wait, the worse it will be.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 1:24:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Wire fence is what I had to go with when my family bought 180 acres of land.  I put out 100 of those Tyvex Yellow No Hunting signs.  We were hunting black powder season and 7 ATV's came riding up out of the creek.  Guys asked if we were lost and we said no we own this property.  After a few minutes of dealing with we rode here our whole lives they drove around our unlocked gate.  Next weekend we put up three strands of wire and that was the end of that.

Good Luck

If he really wants to get to his property he can lay some gravel on his side and make a nice path to stay off you.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Drill a ton of holes in it and put nails through the holes.    DYI spike strip.   Find hard packed/dry soil and bury it if you dont want it to be seen.   Leave it above the soil of you do want it to be seen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP, don't do this.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 1:32:39 PM EDT
[#42]
OP, have a face to face with him.  Tell him to knock it off nicely.  If it continues, he's telling you he doesn't give a shit about you or your property rights.  Act accordingly.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 1:43:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Barbed wire fences, with posted signs, make good neighbors.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'd post it now.  The longer it goes on, the more he'll be able to claim easement rights.
View Quote
Adverse possession?
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 1:45:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Barbed wire fences, with posted signs, make good neighbors.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 1:46:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Your choices are to enforce the no trespassing, or live with it.  It really is that simple.
View Quote
Absolutely this.

There are no other choices.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Signs and physical barriers, plus game cams if you have them.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 2:03:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Post it, you said you are not friends and he obviously has no respect for your property rights.
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 2:38:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Install a gate.
View Quote

And fence.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 2:45:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If he gets hurt on your land driving his tractor and quads, watch him sue you. He can't just use your land because it's convient for him. He needs to build his own access point to the area behind his property and clean up his shit.
View Quote

Exactly this.  You have a huuuuge liability if someone gets hurt on your property if you don’t take action to mitigate a known tresspasser through barricade and/or signage.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top