Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2022 8:16:19 AM EDT
Not sure if this is the place to ask but has anyone traveled to Washington State and put their RV on the ferry and gone to Alaska?
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 9:56:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: deerranger] [#1]
We did it in the 70's , my dad pack us 4 boys plus my mother in a 79 Suburban towing a 30' camper, we got on the ferry in Washinton and stoped at every port and spent a night or 2 before catching the next ferry out.
Fantastic way to go but I would imagine the cost would be outrageous these days.
I was 14 and on one of the ferry rides I fell for a cute blond girl, we snuck around the ship for a day and a half, her father was the captain.
I will never forget her or the ports of call. Ketchikan, Sitka, Juno, etc.
It is a fantastic way to go.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 10:52:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By deerranger:

Fantastic way to go but I would imagine the cost would be outrageous these days.
View Quote

Probably still cheaper than driving it...

Any type of trip like that you really have to be in it for the long haul. The ferry cost for a 2 week vacation would be crazy. But amortized over a 4 month vacation and it's a whole lot more bearable. Same goes for cross country trips. I dream of towing our TT around the west one summer just living our best life with the kids. The cost to get west of the plains states is steep for me so if I'm going to go that far I'm going to make it worthwhile!
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 4:56:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't done it but it is commonly done from Bellingham, WA to Haines, AK you would still transit into Canada doing this route. The other option is to go to Whittier, AK to avoid travel into Canada. The Alaska Marine highway does not allow you to be on the vehicle decks during transit so you can't sleep in your vehicle, you will also have to rent a cabin or sleep on deck in the Solarium.

Expect it to cost well over 5K to do this.

I looked into it heavily in 2009 when moving a friend's family to Palmer Alaska. We said fuck it and drove a 26' Uhaul up the Alaska highway from Oregon in April. We did it in 3 days but that was two guys putting in miles trying to get somewhere. One day we drove 24 hours just stopping to fuel. Fuel stops are spread out a bit, so they require some planning. The frost heaves In the Yukon are a real bitch and will be hard on an RV if you try and do any sort of real speed through them. Also, the wildlife can be an issue.

You could cross in Coutts, AB and it's about 2000 miles to Tok, AK. You would join the actual "Alcan highway" in Dawson Creek, BC. Expect to pay$5-6 a gallon for gas in Canada.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 11:51:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Haven't done it but looked into the same ferry ride for motorcycles. The word expensive comes to mind. You will also need to spring for cabins on the boat since you can't stay in your vehicle. You can tape a tent to the deck for no extra cost but do you really want to?
You will get to avoid entering Snow Mexico and their recent stupidity this way too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top