Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2022 10:43:14 AM EDT
I have a covert trail cam.

Covert sells their own rechargeable batteries for $60.

I can get the same spec battery anywhere for $15.

Is there a difference in these types of batteries, or will the cheaper ones be just fine?  I think I have only bought the cheaper ones and they last a year.

I haven’t tried the actual covert brands.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 3:13:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 2:58:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Need more info; what battery chemistry and size?

Lithium-ion 18650, I’m guessing?
View Quote

6.4V, 4.8Ah lithium iron phosphate battery-Covert brand (same brand as trail cam and solar panel)

6v 4.5 ah lead acid. $12-$20.

Link Posted: 3/29/2023 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought the battery for my stealth cam on Amazon.  I think it was a sale for about $40.  Normally around $60.  But I like having the camera working and didn't feel like DIY'ing it at the time.

ETA
I have some solar panels on feeders with the 6v lead acid batteries that don't work unless they are in full sunlight for at least 4-6 hours per day.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 12:03:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

6.4V, 4.8Ah lithium iron phosphate battery-Covert brand (same brand as trail cam and solar panel)

6v 4.5 ah lead acid. $12-$20.

View Quote

Lead acid for $20 vs lifepo for $60?

IMHO, that's a simple decision, 10 times the battery for 3 times the money? I wouldn't even consider getting lead acid.

There is also a difference in charging and discharge protection, if that's internal to the camera there's no way to change that to match your changed battery chemistry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top