User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 10:05:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They tried selling Montana tractors a few years ago.  Dealers were everywhere... until they weren't.  Parts supply was however long the boat ride from India was.  We rebuilt the trans in one during that time (8ish years ago), closest dealer to us was in Oklahoma and parts were a month out.  FWIW it was a cheesy made POS transmission (not a hydrostat)  Shop manual was very poorly translated to the point of almost being useless, I think they straight up did it with a computer translator and never had anybody that actually spoke English look at it..

Now they are coming back with their own name painted blue.  If doesn't stick this time you will be back to waiting for boats.

Personally I would pass.

Deere, Kuzbota, CNH and even Massey have much better/reliable dealer networks, free online parts lookup and just overall better support IMO.  
View Quote
Good info!
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 10:05:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have 40 acres and a New Holland TC55 DA. 55hp diesel, 4 wheel drive with front end loader. It  meets my needs, but it’s right at the edge.

Anything smaller and I would work it to death, anything bigger and I would loose some much needed ability to work in small spaces(narrow gates and yard work around the house). It handles two large round bails just fine and works well with a 10foot mower.

If I ever need to replace it I would look for a similar size with a cab and AC!
View Quote
That's the dilemma. We'll end up with two is my guess.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 6:38:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You guys are a goldmine. I'm starting to wonder if we shouldn't have two tractors for different tasks. Giving the type of farm we want and the uniqueness of the property it might make sense. I don't suppose any of you are Okies?
View Quote
Yep (Okie).  I have a Kubota M7040 and it's great.  I can pull a 12ft disk easily, and it will lift 2000lb bales.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 12:43:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Kubota M9540 is my pick!  Finally got me one and love it.  Before that, we used a 60hp and performed the bush hogging at an absolute minimum.  What I'm saying is, a 60-70hp will work and do a pretty good job.  100hp keeps you from wanting more.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 8:36:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Kubota M9540 is my pick!  Finally got me one and love it.  Before that, we used a 60hp and performed the bush hogging at an absolute minimum.  What I'm saying is, a 60-70hp will work and do a pretty good job.  100hp keeps you from wanting more.
View Quote
100hp 4wd is kinda the magic number till you jump up to 200hp+.  Which you're into big time tillage equipment, planting, etc...

At least to me.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 9:10:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
100hp 4wd is kinda the magic number till you jump up to 200hp+.  Which you're into big time tillage equipment, planting, etc...

At least to me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At least to me.
Yep
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:04:54 AM EDT
[#7]
We used to farm 80 acres (60 tillable) with a Massey Ferguson 165 (47 PTO hp) with a loader on the front. Dad used to get it stuck a couple times a year, I don't remember sticking it myself.

Then dad got an Allis Chalmers 200. That thing would do anything you'd ever want for $6-8k, except extract itself when you buried it in mud. And the fuel consumption was surprisingly low.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:47:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Depends on what you are doing, I bushhog grass and weeds up to the hood of my 1950 Allis WD and the 40hp engine toys with it.  Shredder is an ancient 6' pulltype.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 8:19:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Seriously?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
110-120hp minimum for tilage and planting.
Seriously?
Yes, seriously... Farming 160 acres myself, 115 hp JD 4240 with loader, a 4720 Branson to assist. Would lose the 55 hp branson before the JD.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 9:00:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Massey Ferguson 1643 Hydro. It's a nice tractor that does everything we ask of it...but it has its limits. We use large round bales and it will move them, but just barely. By "barely," I mean "cannot lift or curl and only sort of drag along the ground."

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The 1652 would have been a better choice for us, as it's the next chassis up, almost ten more horsepower, and 500lbs+ more capacity on the loader.

Unfortunately, MF no longer makes the 1600 series (emissions-free), but instead makes the Tier 4 final 1700 series with cheapened loaders. I would not recommend a new MF compact tractor anymore. Go with either Green or Orange.

ETA: we have a 120 acre farm with cows and chickens.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 9:07:59 PM EDT
[#11]
We have an 85 Kubota and 100 case.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 12:46:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Looking at a Ford 1910 4x4 with 1300 hours. Anything I should specifically be cautious of?
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 10:48:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Looking at a Ford 1910 4x4 with 1300 hours. Anything I should specifically be cautious of?
View Quote
Bent lift/stabilizer arms.
Damage to driveline/steering
Hydraulic pressure/pump/hoses/filters(obviously changed? OEM or generic?)/fluid (water or other fluids, obvious overuse)
Starter
Starting (rough, weak, smoke, excessive rattles) (take a temp gun with you or feel to ensure the engine is cold for the first start when you’re there)
Steering brakes both work
Any sign of it going over on it’s side
ROPEs damage/modifications
4x4 and diff lock work
No “dieseling” on shut down
Filter conditions (air filter acceptability serviced, fuel separator have a lot of crap/water in it/screen in place or removed)
Gauges work
Lights work
Tire rot
Grease obvious and fresh
Any abnormal leaks/wet spots

That’s all that comes to mind right now, pretty solid little tractors from what I’ve heard but it’s all about how they’ve been used.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 9:59:43 PM EDT
[#14]
JD 7410

Link Posted: 12/28/2018 10:49:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I ran a small hobby farm for a few year with a JD2640, 2wd 65pto hp. It did the job plowing, planting, cutting, raking and baling small bales of hay but I grew to hate it. Just too hot and dusty baling hay. We went to round bales and bought a JD 5101 limited 4x4 95pto hp with cab and AC. Now that is how to farm.

Minimum recs in my opinion,

4x4
cab with AC
2 rear remotes
Loader
75+pto hp
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top